Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
At THP, we believe that testing should be done not only by us, but also by the wonderful forum members and we have another new testing project. One of the cool features about being an active member of the THP Forum is that we look to you guys/gals, the consumers, to give feedback on equipment to golfers all around the world. Each month we send out iron sets, drivers, putters, trainings aids and golf balls to our active members to be a part of the THP Forum Member testing.

1035229553_4e3Zg-M-1.jpg

We can tell you that at the recent THP Golf Outing & Demo Day, these irons were at the top of the list for many golfers.

Criteria
You must be able to play golf (either on course or driving range).
7 forum members will be chosen to be part of this testing.

Testing Process
If selected it will be your job to test the irons out frequently and update the official testing thread with feedback on your findings. You will also be asked to update Facebook and Twitter with your findings as well (minimum of 1 of the two). This is long term testing and will need updates for a period of a couple of months. At the end of the testing, the irons will be yours to keep.

To participate you must be an active forum member or become an active forum member. Being active on THP has its benefits and product testing is one of them (monthly testing like this). If you are new, that is okay, being active is more than just tenure.

Registration is always fast, free, and easy.
The Hackers Paradise - Register

Rules
This is not a contest, so there really are no rules. All we ask is that you make a post in this thread and answer these questions. Please have an answer to all questions rather than things like "any".

1. What irons do you currently play?
2. What is your handicap index?
3. What do you look for in an iron set?
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?

Keep in mind if you are not chosen for this, there will be plenty of opportunities in the future here at THP for testing and other product trials. Stay active and you will have a chance to be part of these awesome testings we do here.

Newsletter
If you sign up for the free THP Digital Newsletter that hits your inbox each month, you might find out is being tested next and more information before anybody else. You can sign up by clicking on the Newsletter tab at the top of the page.

TESTERS PICKED

It is always a great day when THP gets to announce testers for a new forum testing. Last week it was drivers and this week it starts off with irons. You never know what next week will hold.

Keep in mind if you are not chosen for this, there will be plenty of opportunities in the future here at THP for testing and other product trials. Stay active and you will have a chance to be part of these awesome testings we do here.

We promise more and more THP Forum Testing coming up very soon. Here are the list of 7 testers for a set of Nike VR Pro Combo irons fit to their specs.

mcook77
Fairway2Green
ChunkyLover
Beowulf
the_paulo
Jeff Conner
Canadan

Quite a few 1st time testers in this list. Thank you all for your contributions to THP. Now the hard work begins.

Last edited:
  • Admin
another great opportunity from THP! Awesome to see Nike stepping up and getting their irons to the people. Some THP'ers are in for a real treat with these irons!

LOL damn I just got these! I'll be interested to see how others like them as well.

Amazing. Wow! Thanks to THP for making this happen and to Nike Golf for having the confidence in their product to let THP members share their thoughts on the Pro Combos! Can't say enough how much that makes me a fan of the companies that participate. I will be watching closely.

Assuming this one is open to lefties:

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade Burner 1.0 Steel
2. What is your handicap index? 26
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I look for something with a bit of a weighted head because I have alot of difficulty out of the rough around here where it is really thick.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They look really nice. I like the simplicity. I don't like alot going on on the head, it is distracting.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have access to a range after work every day and I have been trying to work on my iron play so I have been going 3 times a week and playing a round of golf a week. I would be willing to give reviews at least 2-3 times a week.

This rocks! Thanks to THP and Nike for making this happen for seven lucky members. I am just wondering if I have the game to put my name in the hat to try these out.

Outstanding opportunity for the members here at THP. I actually already owned a set of these irons and preferred the previous generation VR irons by a fairly wide margin. I'll be interested to hear others thoughts on this set though.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MP 53
2. What is your handicap index? 8.6
3. What do you look for in an iron set? thin topline, low offset & as much forgiveness as possible!
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Love the looks but never really been into Nike for golf. They look clean and simple.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have easy access to the range during the week & play in a 9 hole league once a week which is great for testing. Also play at least once on the weekend.

Thanks!

Amazing!!! Having just bought the Vr Pro wedges, I would LOVE to be a part of this!!!!

1. What irons do you currently play? - Mizuno mp-63
2. What is your handicap index? - GHIN 8.6 ---Last 10 scores 77, 83, 78, 80, 88, 85, 89, 89, 81, 82
3. What do you look for in an iron set? - Lots of responsiveness, but slightly more forgiving as the iron set extends into the lower lofted clubs. I like quality perimeter weight, and a bit of cut muscle without the deep cavity to avoid higher ball flighting.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? - I think they are a huge step up from the previous model. The design with the split cavity is a feature I really like in irons, and they are quite simple in appearance, which I can really appreciate. I also think the x3x groove system is a very intriguing design.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? - I had an absolute blast testing the Callaway uPro mx and weighing in on a number of the demo day threads, even though all of my testing has been on my own. I feel like being able to give back to the THP community would be a great honour for me. In terms of a plan, I have the opportunity to spend a number of hours at the driving range each week on separate evenings, as well as playing at least 1-2 rounds of golf, if not more. I would utilize this range time to see the limitations of these clubs, as well as providing both photo and video feedback of my swing and success as compared to my current set of irons. In terms of activity on THP, I believe that my presence has been substantial and will continue to be the same or better as the summer months wear on. Certainly I would make myself available to all feedback or questions associated with these clubs and the reviews I provide in the dedicated threads. I will also include feedback on twitter and facebook to share my thoughts.

What an incredible opportunity. Thanks THP and Nike for making this happen!

Last edited:
To everyone considering this I just want to say Go For IT! Testing for THP is a great experience

1. What irons do you currently play?
--> I currently play Nike ProCombo OS irons, stiff shaft, rest of specs normal.
2. What is your handicap index?
--> I am currently playing off of a 5 HI
3. What do you look for in an iron set?
--> I look for a solid good looking iron set. It is what I looked for when I purchased my current irons in 2006. I love how the ball comes of my current clubs and look for a nice controllable ball flight.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?
--> They look beautiful. They have a leg up on any previous Nike iron set and I think they are probably one of the nicest looking irons currently available.
--> I play 18 holes every Tuesday and 18 holes on either Saturday or Sunday, occasionally both. I visit the range twice a week during lunch. I have 4-6 college staff vs college staff tournaments this summer. I would be able to report back after each round to report on the irons.

Current irons: Callaway Prototype
Current handicap index: 5.8
What do I look for: Something that makes it easy to work the ball, feels good in my hands, and doesn't look terrible.
My thoughts: I think they look like a good set of irons. They look much better than the Nike irons of old (Slingshot = hideous)
Testing plan and activity level: I am on the golf course at least 6 days a week. I would like to play some rounds with just the Nike irons alone to see how they feel and how they hit the ball. I would also like to take them out along with my Callaway Prototype irons to see if they perform any better or worse than the Callaway irons. I will be able to post several updates per week for the duration of the testing process to report my likes/dislikes about the irons.

Thanks again for having these testing opportunities.

Believe me, these are great irons! If I wasn't already sporting these then I would definitely be in on this.

Great opportunity for all the THPers. You can see from some of the other threads that these clubs are very well liked by many THPers that have demoed them!

Have fun!

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MX-300
2. What is your handicap index? 8
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Great looks, great feel, consistent distances, forgiveness, turf interaction
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? LOVE THEM, i have said it in the demo day thread that i think the pro combos are one of the best looking irons out IMO
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I plan to test multiple times per week either on course or range, i usually play 3-5 rounds a week and if its under 3 i hit the range a couple times. I would think i am considered a active and contributing member of this great site, i try to post multiple times per day and help as much as possible, i already have over 2,000 post and i just joined in Feb 2011, i will be completely honest about these irons if i am chosen to test, good or bad i will let everybody on THP know the truth.

Thanks THP and Nike Golf for making this possible, another great testing opportunity

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade R9TP
2. What is your handicap index? 16.4
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Forgiveness (especially the long irons) + Nice feel + small thin head. I don't like fat thick clunky irons.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They look great, exactly what I'm looking for in looks of an iron.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play around 4-5 rounds per week. I go to the range around 2 times a week + before a round. I will constantly be able to provide feedback on these irons if I am selected. Most of the time that I'm on the computer, I'm browsing threads on THP. But, I don't have too Many posts because most of he time, I got nothing to say or my question has already been asked and answered by someone else. I also dont want to post for the sake of getting my post count up. I post when i have a serious question or if i have an answer for someone. But, if ever I am selected to test a product, I will probably be able to provide feedback around 5-6 times per week (unless the weather is bad) and I will answer questions honestly as well as I can. Thanks!

Last edited:
Great partnership @nikegolf and THP!

1. What irons do you currently play? Cleveland CG Gold
2. What is your handicap index? 12.2
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Forgiveness with the long irons, accuracy with the short irons, but consistent distance control throughout the set.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I love the more traditional clean look over some of nike's previous lines. The irons 'flow' together through the set and dont look like a mismatched set between cavity backs and blades
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have access to the practice facility every night after work, play in a weekly 9 hole league on tuesdays, and play 18-27 on the weekends. I would first give these a full comparision on the range for 2-3 session against my current set to learn the different ball flight and distances, then put them in my bag for my 9 hole league. I anticipate needed another 1-2 more range sessions to take what I learned on the 9 holes and tweak my approach with the newer set. After that, theyd be in my bag full time. I've been fairly active on THP since joining last December. I have tested with the Polara balls and took the privilege seriously.

What irons do you currently play? Tommy Armour 845 Evo V-31

What is your handicap index? 12

What do you look for in an iron set? I like a club that looks classic. A thin top line and something that is appealing to my eye. The club also has to feel good when I hit balls, more specifically, soft.

On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? A very nice looking set of clubs. Every time I'm at the golf store I look at these clubs and really like them.

Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play 18 at least once a week. On top of that I play 9 about twice a week and hit the range another couple of times.

1. What irons do you currently play? Nickent ARC Blades
2. What is your handicap index? 18
3. What do you look for in an iron set? More forgiveness on the long irons, consistancy on the short irons.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They are blended very well from the long iron to the short.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play once a week and goes to the range at lease twice a week. I play with my friends range from single capper to beginner. I will let them play as well to get more feedbacks. I will be able to report back after every round and range session.

1. What irons do you currently play? Cobra S9
2. What is your handicap index? 14.8
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Forgiveness with reasonable distance
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Dead gorgeous (was checking them out at the PGA superstore after seeing the demo day review of them)
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Testing plan would consist of photos and video. Play at least once per week and range at least once per week. Activity level is fairly high and very consistent; add info where I think I can be helpful.

Thanks to Nike Golf and THP for another amazing opportunity!

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade R7
2. What is your handicap index? 9.8
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I look for playability and how they feel. I will generally hit the 7 iron a wedge when first looking at a new set.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I really like the clean , simple, lines of these irons
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? My testing plan would be immediately putting away my current irons, if these were received for testing, so that I was playing them as if I had just purchased them, rather than taking clubs from each set out whenever I went to the range. My club is three minutes from my house, so I am usually able to get in at least an hour on the range three or four times a week, and I play 9-18 holes at a minimum per week. My activity level on THP is fairly active. I am on here multiple times a day reading forums and reviews, and post when I have something to say, or something to contribute. This site has become part of my daily routine.

Don't forget to expand a bit more on the second part of question #5:

I think that may be the most important thing to me.

I'm not active enough on the forum to have a shot at the testing, but kudos to THP and Nike for making this happen. Such beautiful irons.

I loved these irons at the demo day! I can't wait to hear what people say about these in long term testing.

1. What irons do you currently play? TM R9s
2. What is your handicap index? 14.5
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I like to look for a consistent ball flight and have started looking for ability to work the ball.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? These irons are sick! I think they have such clean lines and look beautiful.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play in a golf league every Wednesday night. I also average at least one day at the range each week. I am a school teacher so my playing kicks up during the summer.
Activity level: Just as my wife! I love THP and spend most of my days and nights hanging out on here. I hope my activity level shows that.

Thank you THP and Nike for such a great experience for our members. I have never been much of a Nike fan, but after the outing my attention has caught. These irons and the Pro Wedges are the reason.

Back