Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

Kudos to Nike Golf and THP for providing this opportunity to some very lucky testers. While I'm really tempted to try to be one of those testers, I think that I would not give these irons the time they deserve since I'd be trying to get ready for the Morgan Cup with Taylormade gear, so I'll stay out of consideration on this one and wait for another opportunity. Best of luck to everyone that applies to be a tester!

Holy crap this would be awesome! Thanks THP and nike golf!

Current irons: nike vr split cavity
current handicap: 9.5
what I am looking for: love my irons but I am looking for a little more forgiveness in my long irons and controlling trajectory with my short irons. My short game is what I am working on specifically this year in order to get my handicap lower. So far I have always loved my split cavities except for the fact that the cavity keeps me from hitting lower trajectory shots with my shorter irons. My ball striking is better than it has ever bern, but my 3-4 irons are the only two that I have a hard time getting up in the air.
looks: these are some very confident inspiring irons, I saw them at a recent demo day and they were gorgeous! Standing over the blades it is easy to feel confident that I can control my shot shape and trajectory. I didn't get the chance to hit a long iron but when I stood over it I was amazed that it still had the look of a blade, but I could tell in the head weight that it would offer more forgiveness which just portrays confidence in the club. It reminded me of the confidence I used to have with the long irons of my nike vr full cavity. When I switched to the split cavity for a little more workability that was the one thing I desired was a larger cavity in the long irons. The finish on these is second to none. The matte face with the chrome heel and toe, and the chrome on the back is a big attention-getter. I think this is probably the nicest looking set out there right now, and I like that nike didn't try to over-do it with fancy graphics like the waffle design on the splits. I love the traditional look of the new line.
testing and activity plans: I play 3-4 times per week and I am constantly active on THP. I would be able to provide constant feedback and answer questions on these daily. I would plan on comparing how well I can control trajectory and spin with the short irons compared to a cavity back players iron because that is the one thing I have a hard time doing with my split cavities.

Last edited:
Kudos to Nike Golf and THP for providing this opportunity to some very lucky testers. While I'm really tempted to try to be one of those testers, I think that I would not give these irons the time they deserve since I'd be trying to get ready for the Morgan Cup with Taylormade gear, so I'll stay out of consideration on this one and wait for another opportunity. Best of luck to everyone that applies to be a tester!

a big, fat +1 ary!

I fell in love/lust with these irons at demo day, and it was very cool of Nike to send lefty love to the THP outing, and it's even cooler that it appears that they are willing to seed lefties for this round of testing, but I just couldn't dedicate the amount of time, work, and effort necessary before the Morgan Cup.

My hats off to Nike Golf!!! I can really get behind a company that believes in this sort of testing in partnership with THP. It shows that they believe in their product, and that they know it's of the highest quality and performance. What a glorious day to be a THP'er. I want to wish all of those who enter the best of luck and I really am looking forward to following this review process once it starts.

I know when a little birdie told me this could be a possibility my jaw dropped. Congrats to THP and to Nike for doing this testing. These irons were a big hit at the demo day and I'm sure they will receive some good honest reviews. I would love to be part of the testing but with other obligations I will not be able to. I am really looking forward to everyone's thoughts on these. Also just remember that forum testing can be a ton of fun, but it's also a lot of work. Good luck to those who enter and thank you :thp: and :nike:

Happy to see this! I love the progressive set concept and am sort of surprised at the lack of hype I have seen around these irons.

1. What irons do you currently play?

Currently I play Nike Victory Red Full Cavity, but have Titleist AP2 irons on order that should arrive within the next week.

2. What is your handicap index?

Haven't calculated lately, but hover around a 9 or 10.

3. What do you look for in an iron set?

Feel (swing & impact), some workability while retaining forgiveness in lower lofts, and something that appeals to my eye.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?

I think these are absolutely beautiful. They are "timeless" and classy. I've found myself to be drawn to more classic desgins and these are spot on and probably the best looking irons on the market.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?

Thanks to good weather, I have been at the golf course daily (18 holes on weekends and 9 holes on weekdays). This will flux a bit with my workload, but I will still be on the course a lot. As I am not a fan of the driving range, my testing would be 95% on the actual course. My testing plan would be fairly straightforward in that I would simply take them out and play and report back my opinions ranging from feel to flight to workability, etc. I would be particulary interested to see for myself how differently the three club-types in this set play. I honestly know nothing about these new grooves that Nike has implemented, but would love to check it out. My actual job calls for me to help in developing new products, so my nerd-side makes me a bit equipment-obsessed.

As for my activity level at THP, I don't currently have anything new that I have been jazzed about and so I have not posted as much, but always chime in when something piques my interest. Were I to review these irons, I would most likely report in twice a week telling about my findings.

Even if I am not selected to test, I will be keeping a close eye on the reviews. Very cool set of sticks and will be interested to see some real-world feedback.

EDIT: Let me add that if I selected, I'm a 2-degree flat. *wink*

Last edited:
1. What irons do you currently play? I am currently using Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons, but use Cleveland CG15 PW, CG10 GW and CG10 SW.
2. What is your handicap index? My current handicap is 26.1
3. What do you look for in an iron set? They must first be asthetically pleasing then I go for feel and consistency.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They look pretty smart, good looking finish with a great shape about them. Narrow sole on what appears to be a players iron, a real teast for my ability and would be surprised to see at how they would suit.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? My intention would be to take them to the range and hit them twice weekly to get the feel for them and to guage my most consistent length per club. I would then take them out for some social rounds with the thought of playing them in comp when comfortable.

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade CB & MC Combo.
2. What is your handicap index? 10.1
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Accuracy and forgivingness. I also need an iron the helps keep the ball flight low.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Look wise these clubs look very nice. I love the idea of the transition between the long irons and short irons.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I am able to get out to the driving range and to play once or twice a week. I am a active member on the site. I love the people on THP and love the information that comes out of the site.

What an opportunity!!!!! I would love to throw my name in the hat but seeing other Morgan Cuppers not do so.... Man, what an opportunity though. Thank you so much Nike Golf and THP for this!

1. What irons do you currently play? Wilson Ci7, I am assuming this is open for leftys as well, would be great to see a left handed review!!
2. What is your handicap index? 15.2
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Good looks, confidence at address, and of course results off of the clubface
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? These look like beautiful irons. I have owned Nikes in the past, and am excited to see what they have done with these new irons.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?I plan on using these irons very frequently. I have a unlimited pass to a driving range 5 minutes from my house and a friend who gets free golf at a local course. I would play at least 3 rounds a week plus 2-3 trips to the range if selected. As for THP I am a fairly new member, but long time reader. I love reading reviews and if selected would post twice a week if not more with very in-depth analysis. I am a college student in the middle of summer so I have plenty of free time.

Thanks to THP and Nike on this excellent offer. I hope you guys take a lefty as I would love to demo these for the other people who swing from the "wrong" side

Last edited:
1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MP 53
2. What is your handicap index? 9
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Traditional looks with some forgiveness built in. I like to work the ball some. I like a thinner top line and do not like seeing the cavity of the club from address.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They do look cleaner than most offerings with only a small bit of color. I feel my current Mizuno’s are a tough act to follow but these are not too far behind.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I try to spend as much time on the range as I do on the course. Currently I have been at the range 2 times a week plus a round of 9 holes during the week and 18 holes on the weekend. I would hit the Nike’s along side my 53’s at the range and use the Nike’s on the course. I would submit reviews/thought after each round or range session. I have been a part of THP since March and post only when I think I am adding something to the conversation or are welcoming a new member to this great site as I was so warmly welcomed. I am usually on the thread daily for checking something out.

1. What irons do you currently play? maxfli black max bag set irons
2. What is your handicap index? 19ish
3. What do you look for in an iron set? looks, feel, and somewhat forgiveness and am looking to upgrade to a more playable set that would fit me better.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I love the looks of the pro-combos, i like the blades for the short irons and going to a more forgiving cavity on the longer irons
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have an unlimited golf pass to a course that is two minutes my front door to in a cart on first tee, I play at least two to three times a week, this is only my second season playing golf and I am HOOKED! I am new to THP but wanting to become more involved.

Last edited:
1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno JPX Pro 800 Stiff 4-gw
2. What is your handicap index? 12.2
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Thinner top line, good feedback, workability
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I really like these irons. I was going to buy these when I looking for new irons but the store did not have any in stock to demo. I like the different transition throughout the set.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play 18 at least 2 times a week. I go to the range or walk 9 twice during the weekday. I am pretty much always on the THP and can give updates frequently on my thoughts about the irons.

1. What irons do you currently play? Snake Eyes TC-02 (10 years old or maybe more)

2. What is your handicap index? currently 16-20

3. What do you look for in an iron set? Feel feel feel....forgiveness and just a bit of workability. When I picked out the snake eyes years ago I was probably a 10 handicap and thought I would benefit from a more workable iron. These days I need more forgiveness.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I think they look very sweet. Graphics are simple yet attractive. Actually after reading reviews on THP about these, I was/am actually hoping these pop up as compatible irons for me at my GolfTEC club fitting in 2 weeks.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I am currently going to the range twice a week just trying to get my swing back and I try to play at least 9 holes every week as well. I found THP while doing research, as I am in the market for new clubs this year. I visit every day (during work hours) since becoming a member. I can post detailed reviews after each session.

Wow another super Opportunity..Thanks Nike & THP

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping G-15

2. What is your handicap index? 18

3. What do you look for in an iron set? Improvement in my game

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They look very nice from the pictures I have viewed. Eye Candy...

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I would play them atleast 3-4 a week most times more. I think Im super active On THP I post on THP as well as Facebook & Twitter I'm A following machine spreading THP love everywhere I go.

1. What irons do you currently play? Nike CCi forged
2. What is your handicap index? 4.4
3. What do you look for in an iron set? little offset, thin topline, forged, some what forgiving
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I think these iron are exactly what I am looking for, nice blade in the short irons, and split cavity and pocket cavity in the mid to long irons.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? If I were to get chosen to test these I would test these everyday that I play, which is usually about 5 times a week at least. And also get some range time. I would post all of my thoughts on here and twitter regularly.

1. What irons do you currently play? Nike VR Full Cavity
2. What is your handicap index? 9.4
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I prefer a thin top line and compact shape, and of course forgiveness is always nice. I also like to know when I have hit a bad shot, so the feel of the irons is important to me.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I think the look is classic and simple, which is pleasing to the eye and inspires confidence. I would not be afraid to show these off to anyone in my foursome.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? For on course testing I play at least 18 holes every week. 9 holes in my regular league and at least 9 at various courses in my area. I would also spend at least one range session a week with these to give them the workout they deserve. If chosen for this testing, I will take my hybrids out of the bag to get a feel for the whole set. As far as activity level on THP, the testing thread would be updated after each use, along with twitter and/or facebook. I might even give some activity reports from the course from my phone. I have enjoyed the 2 other testing opportunities that I have had and can't wait until I get another chance.

Last edited:
1. What irons do you currently play?--Taylormade Burner XD
2. What is your handicap index?--16.7
3. What do you look for in an iron set?--Forgiveness on mis-hits, while not at the expense of distance
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?--Solid looking iron, looks to be a big upgrade over previous iron sets.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?--A combination of range sessions with video analysis with playing them on the course and recording thoughts on all of the irons individually and comparing them to the irons I play. I play multiple rounds per week, and with this being a long term testing, I will be able to give ample feedback and be able to easily track thier performance.

I have a high level of activity on the site. I became a member in late March and already have 1,400 posts, I read just about every thread and articles that are available. I try to provide as much input and insight into a topic, and would provide very in depth reviews of the clubs on the site.

Last edited:
  • I currently play the Nike VR forged TW Blades.
  • 4.8 (I play the same course frequently, probably closer to a 6 or 7 if it were a travelling handicap).
  • Now I am starting to look for forgiveness in the irons and the ability to flight the ball. I also look for the ability just to hit the dang thing straight, which is usually pretty easy with most clubs, but it is something I look for.
  • As a longtime Nike supporter, I honestly felt Nike took a step back looks-wise from the original VRs. But if the club performs, youll start to like the way it looks, especially on the scorecard.
  • Luckily, I work at a private club that is hosting a PGATour event. I have all the amenities including a world class golf course and range to put these irons through the rigours. I also live on property, so a 30 second walk has me at the range or on the first tee.
  • I plan on performing numerous weekly on course testing sessions, cutting that with range sessions galore. I also feel that my knowledge gained from studying the golf swing for many years will help me determine the performance of the golf club, even when my swing is not having a good day.
  • As for my activity level on THP, it cannot be denied. I love being on here, love the community participation, the company participation and I love the support the members have for each other. Thats what keeps me around. Ive been here since November 2009 and have averaged almost 15 posts per day since then. Tester or not, THP wont be losing me or seeing my activity level weaken anytime soon.

Big thanks to Nike Golf for this opportunity. I hope this testing helps you guys as much as it helps us and THP. And as always, a big thanks goes out to THP for the opportunity.

Good luck all!

Last edited:
1. What irons do you currently play? Wilson Staff Di9's
2. What is your handicap index? 20
3. What do you look for in a iron set? Mostly i have to like the feel in my hands a good weight and comfortable grip,how the club feels in my natural swing and follow through and how the ball feels when i comes off the meat of the blade.I also have to like the look of the club it has to be sexy and look good in the bag because if you have all those attributes then you will feel confident in the club and confidence is a big part of the game.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts about these irons? Sexy.. meaty,solid they would look great and as a set in the bag upside down,the lines and smoothness combine together along with the NIKE swoosh to make a very good looking club.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play 1-2 times per week depending on my work load but always make time to get my golf fix,Being a new set of clubs would only entice me more to get on the course or on the range to get the best out of the equipment and work on different techniques to get the best results possible for me and my game.Since joining THP i log on every morning and first thing after work to check out all my posts and see what others are up to,its a very addictive page and i enjoy every moment here reading about other products and others opinions on what best suits there game.Since taking up the game for over 1 year now i am totally addicted to learning all that i can to push down my handicap and the challenge it creates within myself.

1. What irons do you currently play? Adams Idea Pro Golds
2. What is your handicap index? 14
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I look for an iron set that hides it's technology at address.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Classic and simple. They may be intimidating for a player who is not confident with their iron game, but a player who is confident with their abilities with irons, should not have any aversions.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? THP has opened my mind how I look at golf. And specifically, how I look at my golf game. In terms of course management and recognition of my own abilties and expectations, THP has made me a better golfer. I hope that I can add to the forum and give other forum members that same positive experience with THP. When it comes to my plan testing, I have many types of courses in my area. I have 3 links course that require creativity in shot making. Many wooded courses that demand accuracy and control. And a few open courses that reward aggressiveness. Because of these varying courses, I feel like I can quickly adapt to what ever the game of golf tries to throw at me, and other THPers.

Last edited:
Callaway X-20. However, I'm looking for new irons this summer so my plan is to demo a number of them (already played four sets).
14.8 GHIN
Since I will have only played three years this July, I really didn't have too much of an idea when I picked out my current set of irons. With all the demoing I've been doing, I now have a much better feel for forgiveness and playability (I realize I still have much to learn, but what a fun process!). With my next set, I'm definitely looking for a bit of forgiveness, but also starting to get the itch to move the ball around so that will be a factor as well.
I really like them! I remember even before playing golf how clean blades looked and I still prefer that, although I never thought I'd be able to play them. This would be a great chance to find out! (at least on the short irons...)
I'd probably do the same with these as I've been doing with my other demos, except a little more extended... Take them on the range and compare them to my current irons for feel, distance, flight, playability, etc. Then play a bunch of rounds to put them in as many different shot situations as I can. As far as activity level on THP, I must admit that I drop off during the winter (I get jealous of you warm weather folks! :) ). And often, I'll just check in to see what's happening, especially on the equipment scene. I don't leave many comments especially if something's already been said, unless someone is looking for input and I can help out. Oh, and the occasional snide comment or punny remark...

What a great opportunity for some THP'ers to get their hands on an amazing iron and really get in on the reviews, I love it! Good luck everyone.

I really really really liked this question
Outstanding idea to include this in the tester selection process!!!

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MX-900. I've demoed quite a few clubs since I got these, but nothing has made me feel the need to take the plunge and replace them.
2. What is your handicap index? 28
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Forgiveness and feel. I'm not at the level where I can work the ball much, so I'm just looking to get a nice ball flight, decent distance, a straight ball and ideally feedback as to when I've hit it well (rarely) or how I've hit it badly (often).
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They look pretty classic. I can't say that my clubs are the prettiest, but these are a step ahead!
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I tend to get to the range 3 or 4 times a week and hit 100 balls or so each time. I'll also play at least 18 holes and sometimes more (particularly as we're having longer evenings at the moment). I would bite the bullet and switch these clubs into my bag rather than just testing them now and again. Ideally, as I improve (which, despite the 28 handicap, is happening fairly quickly!), I will be able to see how they work for players of different standards. My activity level on THP is pretty hight, originally as a lurker, but now with more active contributions. I've taken a lot from other reviews, and would like to give something back.

This is such a good idea for testing clubs and sounds like a great oppertunity!

Cleveland TA1 gunmetal irons in 2-pw

My current handicap index is 4.9

I like a golf club to look clean behind the ball and have a nice thin top. I enjoy working the ball so having good workability is important. Also, I prefer the softer feel of a forged iron over a cast iron- the feeling at impact makes me feel in control of the ball.

I really like the look nike have gone for. The back of the irons is not cluttered and looks clean and I think the contrast between the matte finish and the chrome finish on the cavity of the mid and long irons works well. I like the way that the clubs have more grooves than other irons, I think it looks unique and could inspire confidence when controlling the flight and shape of the ball is needed.
Nike have cleverly hidden the pocket cavity extremely well on the long irons which I think keeps the long irons looking like they belong with the set- if the cavity stood out too much I think they would look out of place and the visual progression of the set would be a bit off.
The set looks very classy, no garish graphics or patterned areas which draw too much attention to themselves. Overall I would say they are a very visually appealing set of irons with a few clever little touches which make the set stand out.

Well, I play at least twice a week and visit the driving range and the practice areas at my golf club at least twice a week too. I would be able to give a regular updates of how the irons are performing for me on the course and during practice sessions. I enjoy reading club reviews and I think writing my own reviews would be highly enjoyable.
Regarding my activity level, I have been a long time visitor to the site and am regularly reading through topics on the forum but have just recently decided to join. I have decided that I am going to attempt to contribute to the forum with advice and maybe start a few topics of my own- generally becoming an active member of the community.

Back