Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

1. What irons do you currently play? Cobra SZ
2. What is your handicap index? 30+
3. What do you look for in an iron set? At the moment, I'm looking for the next step up from my SGI's so I can get more feedback and more workability as I get better.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Gorgeous
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I can practice at a local range for free, so I'm usually there multiple times per week. As for actual course rounds, it varies from twice a week to once every couple weeks. I would be able to test these head-to-head with my SZ's to give a perspective for high-cappers who may be looking to move into the next level. As for my activity level here, I think I am very active with check-ins and posting each and every day. I also follow THP on facebook and twitter, so updating won't be a problem.

1. What irons do you currently play? Cobra SZ 4-GW Steel, R Flex
2. What is your handicap index? 30
3. What do you look for in an iron set? First thing off the shelf - aesthetics. They have to look good, and inspire confidence. Next, forgiveness, and ease of swing. They have to be able to withstand some un-perfect hits, and be able to withstand a silghtly off plane swing
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Stunning - Nike's best offering. These are right on par with the new TM TP Irons, and Callways X-Protos of late.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? will be on the range between 1 and 3 times a week (some times more, weather dependant). On an actual course ~2 times a week (again, weather dependant). Our courses really like playing par 3's over water, where it is absolutely paramount to be accurate and have the control to get a ball to stick to the green, so they would be a great way to test these irons for control. Our par 4/5s are generally wooded, so there is a large variety of turf to hit out of, and test the interaction of these irons with the grass/ground. I would also document with photos, the way these irons are wearing. I know some irons have faces that wear really quickly, and I know it's important to people to see how they wear. Given my not-very-near scratch level, my game would give a whole new insight on how these irons wear. As far as THP activity goes, I'm basically on the forum for 7-8hrs a day at work and at home, so I'm always free to answer questions, and post comments. I try to make most of my posts insightful and light hearted (save for the rant thread of course!), and really try to add to the community. I've learned so much here since I joined in November, and it's all about recycling that knowledge, and adding new knowledge to the pot as we all work to get better at our games.

Thanks!

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MP 32's

2. What is your handicap index? 7.2

3. What do you look for in an iron set? I've beenlooking for a set of clubs that will give me both playability and workability. Withthe new technology it's easier to get both in a set of clubs. I'm also someonewho must have a thin look from the top line view of the club, if it doesn'tlook right I become uncomfortable over the ball. (That's why I've been playingmy set for so long)

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I've never seen these irons in person, but what I can tellfrom the pictures I've seen online they are simple with a thin top line view.Simple is great in golf.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have a very flexible work schedule which gives me a lot oftime to see the golf course/range. If I get the opportunity to test thisproduct I will try to hit these irons up to five days a week. I'm a newermember to THP but am will to post on the site after each use of the product andalso willing, for your twitter followers, to tweet as I'm on the range orcourse using them.

Thanks for such a great opportunity!

1. What irons do you currently play?
Ben Hogan CFT 5-EW
2. What is your handicap index?
18ish
3. What do you look for in an iron set?
First is looks, second would be performance and third is versatility
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?
Awesome, I love progressive sets where you almost get more than one set in one!
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on :thp:?
I play golf at least once a week and hit the range in between. If I was lucky enough to be chosen it would give me a great excuse to play more! I've tried to be more active on the forum and would be as open and honest with the feedback I give on these clubs. My normal playing group has a slight diversity in their playing ability and I would be able to add their feedback as well.

Thanks to :thp: and :nike: for a great opportunity.

Man, I like the looks of these.
-- Adams A4R
-- Nice, solid ball striking that can mask/assist the occasional mishit. Good spin on short irons.
-- I :love: the idea of different 'styles' throughout the range of lofts. A little help with the long irons is awesome and the wedges look pretty awesome. I would feel confident knowing I had some design/styling technologies helping me out if needed. I also appreciate the topline and the lack of a big, fat club head to look at. I know they serve a purpose and give people confidence, but I prefer the exact look of these irons.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?
-- I play at LEAST once per weekend and usually at least 9 holes after work a couple times a week. So, in all, I'd say I put in at least 36 holes per week. I also never play without hitting a small bucket and working on some chipping/pitching. I'm not the kind of player to be married to a brand of club. I want what works for me. I started with Cobra, then to the W/S Ci7 and am now playing fairly new A4Rs. (One might notice that the heads on these clubs tend to go down in size and topline thickness as I progressed in the game. I have to say I'm not a fan of the huge, chunky super-GI irons.)
I generally like to go to the range first and foremost (and often, at first) to get a good feel of the clubs and how they operate based on my sometimes spotty swing. Once I'm comfy with them, I'll start trying different shots, shaping, punches, high flyers etc, to see what I can get away with.
I may be new here but I'm very addicted already. I break off from my work (sshhhh!) and hit the "new posts" button a few times per hour. I read as much as I can and have already learned a great deal on what I may be missing out on through club/equipment reviews. It didn't hurt that I met and played with three THPers within a few days of my joining the forum. It just made it more fun to check it out and get involved.

I love the idea of a Combo set of irons. Here are my responses:

1. What irons do you currently play? - TaylorMade R9 with KBS 90 Stiff
2. What is your handicap index? - Right now around a 6
3. What do you look for in an iron set? - For irons, I look for decent distance with forgiveness on toe hits, and the ability to flight the ball as needed. I need for the sole to not be too wide so I feel I can control the turf interaction to some degree. I also need for the irons to be pleasing to my eye.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? - These are very pleasing to my eye. They are simple and classic, all that an iron should be. I am especially enamored with the 8,9, PW - they are beautiful!
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have access to a driving range and course only a couple of miles from my house. My plan would be to take these to the range and compare against my R9s at least 3x/week. I would probably choose the 5, 7, 9, and PW to gauge distance, ball flight, workability, forgiveness, etc. I would then take them out to the course, and probably alternate irons with my R9's so I could hit both on course together and see how each performs under specific situations. I would also concentrate with the scoring clubs around the greens with chipping, and small pitches, knockdowns. I am very interested in comparing the heavier Nike shafts to my lighter KBS Shafts. I went to the lighter shafts because I wanted some additional distance (which I got), but I feel it introduced an additional level of hooks/pulls into my game. I am curious to see if the heavier shafts keep my irons straighter towards the intended target. I would plan on posting results after each range session, specifically indicating what I was trying to accomplish during the session and how the irons performed against my expectations. I would also of course post after each round played with the irons.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Good luck everyone! I can't believe this ginormous opportunity! Thanks THP and Nike Golf.

1. What irons do you currently play? I currently play Nickent 4DX Pro's, regular flex 4-pw
2. What is your handicap index? 12.2
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Some what forgiving, but more importantly is feel. I like to know where that club head is during the swing.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Beautiful, confidence, people are going to be afraid to play me, lol. Very classy without cluttering up the view.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play several times a week, not including men's league on Thursday nights. These bad boys deserve some video time to show how much better my ball striking is over my older Nickents. I hope they can improve my long iron play in the 3-6i range and GIR, so that will get plenty of testing and reporting time... I've been a very active member of THP since the, some what, early days with over 10,500 posts. While I've never tested anything really big like a full set of iron, I have been blessed with testing some great item's fr the members like golf balls, a driver shaft, a putter and a wonderful 3wood. I'm on the site multiple times a day even if on the road working and I believe I'm a very straight shooter with what I see in the products I test. THP is a fantastic site with loyal, insightful members who support each other and THP in every possible way. Being active here is made very easy by that support.

I must say I have never touched a Nike iron. I've always sort of put them on a shelf that was above my level to play. Seems weird to say it now, but I like their drivers/balls/clothes, but some how didn't think I could play the irons. This would be a great test in my opinion. Thanks to Nike for the support of THP and to THP for its continued support and confidence in its members.

Awesome testing opportunity once again! Thanks to Nike and THP for making this happen!

1. What irons do you currently play?- Taylormade Tour Preferred CB
2. What is your handicap index?- 17
3. What do you look for in an iron set?- Distance, forgiveness, accuracy with scoring irons
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Sleek, classic, 'strong' profile
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP- I have access to a range, 2 different par 3 courses, as well as numerous golf courses. I play 4-6x per month in addition to numerous range sessions. Overall golf activity during a week can run from 2-3 range sessions per week in addition to 1-2 rounds per week depending on the weekend so updates would be consistent. Updates would be consistent on both THP and Twitter and as a Tester for THP I'm used to answering various questions about the equipment I test so I'd welcome any questions from THP Forum Members as well.

This is a tremendous opportunity for the lucky 7 members chosen and I want to wish everyone luck in being selected. I also want to say thank you to Nike golf and to THP for providing this opportunity. I am going to pass on this opportunity as I am really working on getting my game to a better, more consistant level and want to stick with the set up currently in my bag to do so. I will be following the reviews from those chosen as these might be a good set of irons to pick up once I reach the skill level I am shooting for.

Last edited:
This looks like an amazing opportunity for those involved!!! I'm going to pass on this one since standard length irons are a bit too short for me. Can't wait to read the reviews of those who are chosen!!!

Again THP comes through!!

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade TP MB
2. What is your handicap index? 7
3. What do you look for in an iron set? accuracy in distance - would love to compare these to my current set since I am still not sold on a complete set of forged irons
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I have seen these in person and the looks are outstanding! Nike has done a great job!!
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I plan on playing these irons a minimum once a week and getting to the range once a week. I know there will be a break in period so I would love to test these in the long range. I will be able to give these irons a challenge in all conditions up her in Wisconsin. Wind, cold, damp, rain, hack maybe even snow! As far as activity on THP I am defiantly getting more use to giving my opinions on clubs and testing equipment. I recently wrote about my GolTEC experience and I loved it!

wow, another amazing opportunity from THP. Not to mention a big thumbs up to Nike Golf for providing this opportunity, and seeing THP as a great testing ground for honest feedback!

1. What irons do you currently play? Wilson fg59

2. What is your handicap index? 5.3

3. What do you look for in an iron set? I'm very much motivated by looks, I must admit. I like the look of a traditional blade, little offset and clean, sharp looks. If I don't like the look of an iron, there's little chance I'll grab it off the shelf.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Very nice looking irons. The design flows nicely throughout the combo set, and the cavity in the longer irons does not intrude on the set design as a whole. They look the same through the bag, which is important in my opinion.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I plan to keep up my practice regime of at least twice weekly, on my course's dedicated practice facility. I'd spend time hitting every club, and would like to gauge forgiveness and workability (in the long irons particularly), as this is an area I would like to educate myself further in, and compare against my experiences with my previous irons. I also play at least one full round a week, and this would allow me to judge the irons more effectively in a game environment, where you're not hitting ball after ball with the same iron, and sometimes coming in cold to a long iron shot, or delicate chip.
I'm active on THP every workday at least, I sit at my PC and THP is on my screen. I'll go home, boot up the laptop and THP is my homepage. I love reading and listening to the home page articles and new shows THP is constantly putting out. I love how much you can learn from everyone here. The tour talk and witb articles really give me an extra interest in the tour players and events. Aside from the articles and the equipment talk, the community spirit just keeps me here!

This an amazing opportunity! This might be a bit to much of a club for me so I'll sit this one out, good luck all!

Tap before talk.

1. I currently play some older Wilson irons. Steel shaft, cavity back heads.
2. Handicap is about 20 or 21-ish.
3. In an iron set, I like a solid feel to the iron. A good balance to the swing as well. My current irons are not very balanced and seem to be very inconsistent.
4. These irons are sharp looking. I like the cavity back, and the design of the clubhead.
5. I try to play at least 2 times per week, including my home course each week and a random course that I don't play very often.
I have been much more active on the forum recently as the snow is finally melting in Utah and the golfing is finally picking up!

First I will admit I've had some very harsh opinions on Nike clubs but I'm trying to open my eyes ever since getting the TM Burner 2.0 demo 6 iron to hit. So much so I've actually never hit a Nike club but lately I'm up to try mostly to see if it will help my game and make it more enjoyable.

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping i15 3-PW
2. What is your handicap index? 7
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Forgiviness without the huge toplines, wide soles, & alot of bounce. Irons that look appealing to my eye from address and in the bag.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I like the idea of combos to help a player hit the longer irons. I'm all up for easier longer irons to hit. First look they are very sleek and compact iron that looks great. I would trade i15 right now just to get back that tradition look I prefer with these.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Scramble season for work has started so I have 4 planned in the next few months. I have 4 free rounds of golf at local club that will be used pretty soon. Then there is 1-2 rounds a month I travel to go play with friends. I have an open field infront of my house that I try to hit around 50 balls daily. Activity level on THP: I'm pretty much on here 7:30-4 Monday-Friday.... just don't tell my boss! :D Then a few hours at night when playing on the computer.

Last edited:
Amazing opportunity here! Thanks THP and Nike Golf

Mizuno MP68's
Very crisp ball striking, sleek look, and ball workability
Awesome looking. Detail is really amazing from Nike.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?
I would have 2 range sessions a week at my homecourse where I hit all the free range balls I want. Also I will play at least 18 holes a week. I play 18 every saturday and sometimes more during the week. I'm what I consider to be a pretty active member. I'm a little new to the forum, but just recently reached 1,000 posts :banana:. I plan to be around Paradise for a while :D

Thanks again JB and GG.

I love the idea of a Combo set of irons. Here are my responses:

1. What irons do you currently play? - TaylorMade R9 with KBS 90 Stiff
2. What is your handicap index? - Right now around a 6
3. What do you look for in an iron set? - For irons, I look for decent distance with forgiveness on toe hits, and the ability to flight the ball as needed. I need for the sole to not be too wide so I feel I can control the turf interaction to some degree. I also need for the irons to be pleasing to my eye.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? - These are very pleasing to my eye. They are simple and classic, all that an iron should be. I am especially enamored with the 8,9, PW - they are beautiful!
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have access to a driving range and course only a couple of miles from my house. My plan would be to take these to the range and compare against my R9s at least 3x/week. I would probably choose the 5, 7, 9, and PW to gauge distance, ball flight, workability, forgiveness, etc. I would then take them out to the course, and probably alternate irons with my R9's so I could hit both on course together and see how each performs under specific situations. I would also concentrate with the scoring clubs around the greens with chipping, and small pitches, knockdowns. I am very interested in comparing the heavier Nike shafts to my lighter KBS Shafts. I went to the lighter shafts because I wanted some additional distance (which I got), but I feel it introduced an additional level of hooks/pulls into my game. I am curious to see if the heavier shafts keep my irons straighter towards the intended target. I would plan on posting results after each range session, specifically indicating what I was trying to accomplish during the session and how the irons performed against my expectations. I would also of course post after each round played with the irons.

Thanks for the opportunity.

I think that would be a pretty interesting comparison for a lot of THPers!

Wow....would I LOVE a shot at these!!! So, here goes....

1. What irons do I play now? I actually have a starter set of Adams A305s, which does NOT have a complete set of irons in it. Now that my game and swing have gotten much better, I find myself needing those in between clubs/irons. All I have now is a Sand wedge, Pitching Wedge, and Short Iron....then 2 hybrids. I often hit my husbands irons just to get the feel of them....would LOVE having my own set to not only test and rate, but to finally get my yardages figured out.

2. My handicap index? I haven't started keeping track yet, but when I play, I'm shooting anywhere from 102 to 111....fairly consistent there, just want to break 100 and eventually 90, and having some clubs that are actually 10-15 yard differences as opposed to 25-40 yard differences would make a huge impact on scoring.

3. What do I look for in an iron set? I have actually be hitting a few at the PGA Superstore. I have a fairly decent swing speed, so I can't use ladies irons, the shafts are too flexible. I'm more in the mature or senior flexes, but the steel shafts work as well. I like a balanced club, with a little weight in the head, not too much. And for me, I'm looking for a FULL set of irons....

4. On looks alone, what do I think of this set? It's streamlined, and I do like that they are just that, irons. No frills, no flash....

5. What is my activity level - golf and THP? I hit the range 2-3 times per week and play at minimum 9 holes each week. I am in medical sales, so I have to take advantage of my time when I can. The range and course is within walking distance - so I really can go anytime that I want. I just have to make sure that all my work is done and complete --- okay, honestly, I play hookey from work most time to hit the range and the course -- take my 'crackberry' with me and get emails and texts done at the same time. Hey, I'm female, so I can multi-task with the best of them. I'm analytical and have a clinical background, so evaluations and testing...that's easy stuff. My activity level with THP is not super high like my husband, but I get on and check the forums everyday, I just don't always post or reply to stuff. I do enjoy the site -- kinda like my golf facebook -- we are looking forward to hopefully being able to do the outing next year.

1. What irons do you currently play? Cleveland CG Reds (I just switched from Tommy Armour 845's)
2. What is your handicap index? 14.4
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Clean ball striking, smooth feel, distance, workability, and forgiveness (not over-forgiving, because I want to know when I strike a bad shot)
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Nice, simple look. Not too flashy but definitely catches the eye. Would match my driver quite well...
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I'm a member at my local course and I visit the course 4+ times a week to practice and/or play. This particular course is a par 3 course (par is 58, with 14 of 18 holes par 3's), so I hit my irons a lot. I generally hit the range twice a week and get in at least 2 rounds a week. During the month of May, I logged 10 rounds of 18 and multiple 9 hole practice rounds that I played 2-3 balls for the rounds to work on different shots rather than keep score.

Great opportunity, thanks :nike: and :thp:!!!

1. What irons do you currently play? Srixon Z-Star in summer, Hogan Apex Plus in winter
2. What is your handicap index? 22
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Feel, narrow-ish sole, consistent distance, short iron workability
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They look great, I have always thought that. Sharp, clean, classy. Contemporary but not too flashy.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play 18 holes of golf at least 1-2 times a week and go do a driving range that offers grass tees or mats twice/week, every week. These irons would get my full use on all rounds and all practice sessions. On :thp: I tend to save my comments for when I feel I have something constructive to add to a conversation. I am an analytical person and would use this approach in my testing feedback, which would be thorough, complete. I would stay active in conversations regarding these clubs and provide answers to other members questions.

1. What irons do you currently play?- TaylorMade TP CB 4-PW.
2. What is your handicap index?- 19
3. What do you look for in an iron set?- I need something with great feel, higher ball flight, solid look at address. I need an iron that will work with my smoother tempo swing.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?- They are very sleek and I really like the cavity-blade idea behind the set. Reminds me of those using the CB-MC-MB set, hopefully with a bit more forgiveness.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?- Well I consider myself a pretty active forum member. I play at least one round a week and have multiple range sessions a week. I have made a plan to play all of the courses in my area throughout this season anyway. So if I get a chance to test these irons they will be facing a different course almost everytime out. This would put these irons to the test in almost every course situation.

This is kool, about time Nike joins the club and gets Hacked!!!

1. What irons do you currently play? Maxfli Max 357 (2 thru PW - graphite) and throw in one steel shaft Mizuno MX100 4 iron.
2. What is your handicap index? 18
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Need to switch to steel shafts - been playing an old set of hand me downs for awhile now. I usually hit irons straight - looking for more distance and foregiveness on bad lies.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They're actually pretty sharp looking. They kept it simple and I like that. On looks a lone this would be a club that would definitely catch my eye.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? If i'm lucky enough to get to test these the first step would be the driving range just down the road from work. I'd want to get used to making solid contact with these before I hit the course and get used to hit steel irons again. Second step would be the small 9-hole course less than a mile from my apartment. Not many people golf there and its not kept up the best by the owner, but its usually pretty dead and the owner doesn't care how many holes I play or how many balls i play on each hole. Its a great course for testing too - because you get caught in some pretty bad lies and some weird situations. I definitely be able to find out how forgiving the clubs are and some of the holes are pretty challenging. I've also got 4 or 5 great 18 and 24 hole courses nearby where I could play maybe some longer holes and really see if these help my distance. I feel like I could give a lot of time to this testing and provide some really good feedback. Third and final step would be to take these to Madison and see if I can finally beat my younger brother - for once in my life.

As far as my activity on this forum - I'd love to get more involved in the testing threads. I don't normally have the money to go out and try the best new equipment but I think I could provide some valuable input from the eyes of a learner. I keep learning more about my golf game, what works and what doesn't, everytime I hit the course. I definitely see myself getting more and more involved in many threads on this site. THP has become my first stop online before I start work every morning and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Thanks THP and Nike for this opprotunity!

WOW, this is an awesome opportunity, these are flat out great irons! Good luck to everyone and thank you to THP and Nike!

1. What irons do you currently play? Wilson Staff Di11's
2. What is your handicap index? 12.8
3. What do you look for in an iron set? A little forgiveness, distance and feel.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Best looking irons of 2011 and maybe the past 2 years, just beautiful.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? My testing plan would be to take them to the range a minimum of twice a week and I golf at least twice a week. My activity level on THP I would say is very high and would continue to be that way. Have to say I love these irons.

Back