Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

I actually kind of like the look of bag chatter on my irons...does that make me crazy? I'll have to post a pic of my irons after using them so far this season.

First post!
Long time reader but just wanted to contribute. :)

I just got a set of the VR Pro Combo's a couple weeks ago, they are absolutely amazing. I can't stop going to the range!

One thing is - They are forged and really prone to minor dings here and there.

Compared to my past cast set (taylormade racs) forged clubs definitely are more prone to surface dings.

I already have some minor dings on the blades, on the chrome part of the clubface (not the part that strikes the ball but the chromy-grooveless part) just from bag clatter.

They sorta look nice though! Adds a nice touch, sorta like Anthony Kim's
AK-Nike-Irons-Doral_450x600.jpg

Just a question though - Does anyone know if the clubface of the pocket cavities are made differently than the blades (8-PW)? Because the 3+4 irons are SOOO durable, much much much less prone to dings than the blades in the set.

Anyways - I really really recommend covers just for the blades in this set to protect them! They are so good looking :p

Thanks for the photo housemd123! That helps me a TON to see how bag chatter affects these. I will definitely be looking for some iron covers I think.....still going back and forth on the issue!

but but but.....do you reeeeally want to cover these babies up, or show them off to anyone who will look? :D

First post!
Long time reader but just wanted to contribute. :)

I just got a set of the VR Pro Combo's a couple weeks ago, they are absolutely amazing. I can't stop going to the range!

One thing is - They are forged and really prone to minor dings here and there.

Compared to my past cast set (taylormade racs) forged clubs definitely are more prone to surface dings.

I already have some minor dings on the blades, on the chrome part of the clubface (not the part that strikes the ball but the chromy-grooveless part) just from bag clatter.

They sorta look nice though! Adds a nice touch, sorta like Anthony Kim's
AK-Nike-Irons-Doral_450x600.jpg

Just a question though - Does anyone know if the clubface of the pocket cavities are made differently than the blades (8-PW)? Because the 3+4 irons are SOOO durable, much much much less prone to dings than the blades in the set.

Anyways - I really really recommend covers just for the blades in this set to protect them! They are so good looking :p

Are they a custom set? as there are more blades than a normal set of Pro Combos

Are they a custom set? as there are more blades than a normal set of Pro Combos

Those are Anthony Kim's, so that's why they're a little different!

Well that explains it then

Well that explains it then

Looking at the pic makes me wonder just how many combinations he tried out before landing on that setup though. Must have been some thorough testing. Maybe not THP thorough though... :D

Yep, all blades bar the 3 and 4 iron. He should send them to us to test out properly for him - hehe

ALright, I have to ask. How many of you are considering iron covers for these? I know some think they're silly or taboo, but these irons are so beautiful. They are also so simple on the cavity that I could see these being very prone to bag chatter.

Seriously considering some, set up on every other club, if not all.

I am sad that I didn't with my MP-63 irons, and I think I'll feel the same way if I don't get them for the Vr Pro's.

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade 09 burner
2. What is your handicap index? 11.5
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I'm looking for a new player type iron, where it is not clunky in appearance and still has some forgiveness
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Very simple, like the classic look. Don't like the pro combo name on every iron. Just having the swoosh would be enough
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I read all the posts primarily on equipment. I will play at least once a week on various courses

Sorry upton, but the tester's have been selected. Stick around though buddy, there's always testing going on.

3. What do you look for in an iron set? I'm looking for a new player type iron, where it is not clunky in appearance and still has some forgiveness
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Very simple, like the classic look. Don't like the pro combo name on every iron. Just having the swoosh would be enough
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I read all the posts primarily on equipment. I will play at least once a week on various courses

You may want to read over the entire first post again.

Just a few weeks late there buddy. There is a thread about these as they have already been delivered. But look around, you may find a lot of things that interest you.

warning: this may be long sorry if I bore everyone...

So I got my set today finally, decided to take them straight to the course and not bother hitting rock hard range balls for the first thing I hit with them.

played 2 balls for most of the day, hitting one off the tee with a driver and one off the deck with a 3 or 4 iron so my approach distances would vary.

Had a lot of fun hitting these things, they look incredible too.

I think I hit every iron at least twice some of them several times so I'll sum up my thoughts about each "section". Good news is I've been striking my irons as well as I ever have lately so I think I got a good feel for them for only one day on the course.

3-4 irons
feel awesome, and the ball comes off hot. I turned over both the 3 and 4 when I wanted to. I felt like the flight was good, it was plenty high and pretty good distance, 4 iron is consistant with the distance I hit my AP1 4.
I did notice the different feeling and sound these Irons had from the others, not a problem in my eyes though. still felt great.

5-7 irons
I think these were my favorite, they feel so solid, and standing over them they look great, AP1s are much thicker on the top line, and feel chunky to me sometimes. These were easier to hit from "bad" lies, the rough is basically dead here in TX so I'm not hitting out of thick cabbage but I found some tall stuff a few times and the club cuts through the rough much better than the thicker AP1s that tended to turn my hands over.
First 7 I hit was on a par 3 and ended up about 6 feet, decided to hit a second ball and it was even better, about 3 feet.

8-PW
The blades look the coolest, doesn't matter who you are you have to love the way these look. I didn't hit these as well as I should've. I blame myself mostly, and not knowing the distances they'd go. AP1s are strong lofted in the short irons, so I knew they'd be different but I didn't know how much. still hit some solid shots, just didn't dial them in like I want to, hopefully that comes later.
I did hit a 9 out of the thickest rough I could find just for kicks and was really impressed at how the club cut through and the ball seemed to jump out.
One thing I'm disappointed about is I played course I've never played before and the greens were so hard and in bad shape(it was 105* today, and has been over 100 for like 30 consecutive days here) so I have no idea how these would react to normal greens. I usually have trouble keeping the ball from spinning back too far with short irons, but I couldn't stop a 60* on these.

Overall:
I'm super excited about these, hitting the course again tomorrow, better course, and I've played it before so I'll know the distances so I can start getting used to these. There was definitely more feedback on slightly missed shots than my old irons, I hope this will help me get to striking the ball well more often.

warning: this may be long sorry if I bore everyone...

So I got my set today finally, decided to take them straight to the course and not bother hitting rock hard range balls for the first thing I hit with them.

played 2 balls for most of the day, hitting one off the tee with a driver and one off the deck with a 3 or 4 iron so my approach distances would vary.

Had a lot of fun hitting these things, they look incredible too.

I think I hit every iron at least twice some of them several times so I'll sum up my thoughts about each "section". Good news is I've been striking my irons as well as I ever have lately so I think I got a good feel for them for only one day on the course.

3-4 irons
feel awesome, and the ball comes off hot. I turned over both the 3 and 4 when I wanted to. I felt like the flight was good, it was plenty high and pretty good distance, 4 iron is consistant with the distance I hit my AP1 4.
I did notice the different feeling and sound these Irons had from the others, not a problem in my eyes though. still felt great.

5-7 irons
I think these were my favorite, they feel so solid, and standing over them they look great, AP1s are much thicker on the top line, and feel chunky to me sometimes. These were easier to hit from "bad" lies, the rough is basically dead here in TX so I'm not hitting out of thick cabbage but I found some tall stuff a few times and the club cuts through the rough much better than the thicker AP1s that tended to turn my hands over.
First 7 I hit was on a par 3 and ended up about 6 feet, decided to hit a second ball and it was even better, about 3 feet.

8-PW
The blades look the coolest, doesn't matter who you are you have to love the way these look. I didn't hit these as well as I should've. I blame myself mostly, and not knowing the distances they'd go. AP1s are strong lofted in the short irons, so I knew they'd be different but I didn't know how much. still hit some solid shots, just didn't dial them in like I want to, hopefully that comes later.
I did hit a 9 out of the thickest rough I could find just for kicks and was really impressed at how the club cut through and the ball seemed to jump out.
One thing I'm disappointed about is I played course I've never played before and the greens were so hard and in bad shape(it was 105* today, and has been over 100 for like 30 consecutive days here) so I have no idea how these would react to normal greens. I usually have trouble keeping the ball from spinning back too far with short irons, but I couldn't stop a 60* on these.

Overall:
I'm super excited about these, hitting the course again tomorrow, better course, and I've played it before so I'll know the distances so I can start getting used to these. There was definitely more feedback on slightly missed shots than my old irons, I hope this will help me get to striking the ball well more often.

Great initial review. This is the forum testing signup thread though, you should post this exact post in the review thread we have going on. We are always looking for a fresh perspective. Do a quick search, you'll find it.

Hoping to get these irons on to the Trackman tonight, up against the fg59s for a base number of how I was doing before they arrived. I'll try to get one of each type on, probably the 4 iron, 6 or 7, then maybe the 9 or PW. Looking forward to being able to post some hard numbers on these, will be interested to see if the feel translates to results!

Hoping to get these irons on to the Trackman tonight, up against the fg59s for a base number of how I was doing before they arrived. I'll try to get one of each type on, probably the 4 iron, 6 or 7, then maybe the 9 or PW. Looking forward to being able to post some hard numbers on these, will be interested to see if the feel translates to results!

Wrong thread buddy! This one accidentally got bumped by someone. Other thread has our feedback to date.

ETA: here is the right one: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...-Nike-VR-Pro-Combo-Irons-Forum-Testing-Review

I'm a 19 handicap. I just switched from PING G10s to these Nike VR Pro Combos. I have been playing the G10's almost since I started a few years ago. I can't speak for all people in my handicap range, but I think I was wasting time with the G10s and they were actually hurting and preventing my progress now that I have tried these clubs. Yes, the G10 are forgiving, but they provide no feedback all all, thus you don't progress. These irons give great feedback, but are not too harsh on mishits. Maybe a bit more than the G10s but nothing to complain much about.

My favorite part about the irons are the blades (8,9,W). They ooze "player!". They give lots of confidence. I feel like I can throw darts with them and hit delicate chips and pitches with them. The G10s short irons are big, heavy, clunky and have zero feel. No wonder my short game was terrible with them. Short game is all about the soft touch. That's hard to do playing with heavy shovels. I read the 2012 VR set does not come with the short iron blades, but the cavity backs instead. I would not buy that set. I would get the 2011 set with the blades.

One thing I have not got used to is the thin soles in bunkers. They don't have hardly any bounce compared to the G10s, in the greenside bunkers, so I'm learning to adjust to that.

Just wanted to give a shout out to these bad boys. This past weekend was my first real round after having a set of these given to me an then having them shafted and built for me and wow did they perform. These are an incredible set of irons. I used the 3i all day off the tee and the thing was money. I can't wait to get my 2I back to put that in play as well.

Back