Forum Testing Signup - PING Scottsdale TR Putter

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
At THP, we believe that testing should be done not only by us, but also by the wonderful forum members and we have another new testing project. One of the cool features about being an active member of the THP Forum is that we look to you guys/gals, the consumers, to give feedback on equipment to golfers all around the world. Each month we send out iron sets, drivers, putters, trainings aids and golf balls to our active members to be a part of the THP Forum Member testing.

Ping-Scottsdale-TR-Anser-2-Putter-Face.jpg

The Club
As you probably saw over the weekend, the new Scottsdale TR was in the bag of Hunter Mahan. Scottsdale TR putters are named for the "true roll" they provide as the result of PING’s innovative new variable-depth-groove technology. Grooves are deepest in the center and get gradually shallower toward the perimeter to equalize ball speeds for exceptional distance control on putts struck on the center, heel or toe. Adjustable-length shafts help optimize performance, and 12 models fit every stroke type.

Criteria

You must be able to play golf (either on course or indoor facility).
4 Forum Members will be selected to participate along with War Eagle
If selected, shipping is free for Albatross Club members only.
If you are not a member & would like to become one, click here.

Testing Process
If selected it will be your job to test the putter out (minimum of once per week) and update the official testing thread with feedback on your findings. You must be on the forum to answer questions throughout the testing period as well as discuss the putter thoroughly.

This is long term testing and will need updates for a period of a couple of months. If you are looking for info on what forum testing feedback should look like, check out the forum testing example thread here.

To participate you must be an active forum member or become an active forum member. Being active on THP has its benefits and product testing is one of them (monthly testing like this). If you are new, that is okay, being active is more than just tenure.

Rules
This is not a contest, so there really are no rules. All we ask is that you make a post in this thread and answer these questions. Please have an answer to all questions and be specific.

1. What putter are you currently playing?
2. What is your strength in putting?
3. What is your weakness in putting?
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test?
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter?

Keep in mind if you are not chosen for this, there will be plenty of opportunities in the future here at THP for testing and other product trials. Stay active and you will have a chance to be part of these awesome testings we do here.

Newsletter
If you sign up for the free THP Digital Newsletter that hits your inbox each month, you could find out about testing before anybody else. You can sign up by clicking on the Newsletter tab at the top of the page.

Testers
Wonton
Checkered
HoosierGolfer
Joshmlr
War Eagle

Last edited:
Wow. Didnt see this one coming. What a terrific opportunity! Thank you THP and Ping. I recently picked up 2 new putters and want to work with them so I will not throw my name in for this but it doesnt change the fact that this is absolutely awesome.

Wow, what a great opportunity, thank you Ping and THP!

1. What putter are you currently playing?--Odyssey Black Tour Design #2

2. What is your strength in putting?--Usually distance control
3. What is your weakness in putting?--I tend to leave the face open at impact, pushing the ball to the right
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test?--Anser 2, ZBS Tatum or whatever a fitting would suggest
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? Practice greens primarily taking similar shots with each putters and providing feedback on the outcome of the shots, the makes and misses and overall general thoughts and comparisons between the 2. One course feedback will obviously also be provided as well

Last edited:
1. What putter are you currently playing? Seemore X2 or Never Compromise Tycoon
2. What is your strength in putting? Hit my line pretty well.
3. What is your weakness in putting? Proximity to the hole on lag putts.
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? ZB S
Image.ashx

5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? A mixture of indoor practice, outdoor practice, and rounds of golf. I'll be primarily looking at how easy it is to hit my line, distance control, and sound.

This a very cool testing opportunity. The Scottsdale TR putters are very nice and put a good roll on the ball. I've tried some of them at the store and really like the Shea H. If I didn't have the Piretti in the bag I might have that Shea H but nothing is kicking my Piretti out right now. Good luck to the testers. These putters are going to treat yall well.

Wow great opportunity! If I wasn't already testing and didn't already have a putter courtesy of THP I might enter. But good luck to everyone!

WOW! I would LOVE to stack this putter up against my Betti and see which one wins. Sign me up!

1. Bettinardi BB8
2. Alignment, usually able to hit my lines or very close to my lines.
3. Distance control for sure
4. Anser 2
5. I track putting stats so I would continue to track stats and compare the PING to my Bettinardi in terms of my putting stats. I am also very picky about the feel and sound of a putter so that comparison would also be made throughout testing.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks PING Golf and THP for a great opportunity to get involved in some testing!

Awesome!, How cool would it be to put a PING putter up against my SeeMore's!!!

1. What putter are you currently playing? SeeMore X2
2. What is your strength in putting? Reading the greens, Lag putting
3. What is your weakness in putting? Distance control
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? Piper C
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? Tracking # of putts per round between each putter. I can play courses where I can putt two balls on each green without a problem.. I would compare the feel of the Ping TR to the SeeMore's I have, both milled and insert ones. I have two different putting greens in my house so I can just roll the putter each evening....and a nice practice green 5 minutes from my house that I visit on a regular basis.

Thanks THP and PING for a great opportunity to test a putter from an Iconic Golf Comapany!

Last edited:
1. Bettinardi BC3
2. My strength is picking the right line.
3. My weakness is picking the right speed.
4. I'd pick the ZB S
5. I'd compare like crazy to other putters on the course and on the practice green. I have access to almost every production putter there is. I would finally start doing actual putting drills as well and see how my putting could improve both with practice and this putter. And of course I would have it properly fit to my specs once I had it. As for my putter, the best way to compare is to hit putts with both and see which one sinks more, both on the course and on the practice green.

I like that PING is getting on board with testings a lot lately. Thanks to them and THP! Putter testings are always fun to read.

THPing on Tapatalk

Last edited:
Awesome opportunity!

1. What putter are you currently playing? Nike Method Concept
2. What is your strength in putting? Hitting a putt on my intended line.
3. What is your weakness in putting? Consistency with distance.
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? Piper C.
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? A good baseline would be to compare apples to apples; use the same ball at the same spot with different putters to determine a comparison. From there it would be tracking stats of total putts. Ultimately I would like to find consistency with distance.

I am definitely interested in seeing how this putter would measure up to my Scotty!

1. What putter are you currently playing? Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.0
2. What is your strength in putting? I am usually pretty good about hitting the line I pick out
3. What is your weakness in putting? Distance control is my biggest weakness
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? I like the ZB S and Shea H, but I would be willing to test any of the models.
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? I would use a mixture of putting on a putting green and on course testing to test the putters feel, accuracy, and distance control. I track all of my putting stats thru an app on my phone, so I would provide the results.

Great opportunity from THP and Ping. I am a big fan of Ping. I am hooked on my SeeMores; however, so I won't apply for testing.

1. What putter are you currently playing? Odyssey White Hot 2.0 XG
2. What is your strength in putting? Reading greens
3. What is your weakness in putting? Speed
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? Anser 2 Blade
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? I would do the standard testing both on the practice greens and out on the course and compare to my current odyssey putter. One thing i want to test is the true roll technology on the Ping and how hitting the ball off center will compare to hitting the ball off center on my odyssey.

Holy testings! Awesome!! Thanks THP and Ping for yet another testing opportunity!

1. What putter are you currently playing? I am currently playing the SeeMore ONEcs.

2. What is your strength in putting? I'm not sure if I could identify a particular strength in my putting game, as it is inconsistent.

3. What is your weakness in putting? My biggest weakness in putting has to be my distance control on longer putts. Need to eliminate 3 putts.

4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? There are so many! But I'd probably go with the Piper C (a CS putter to test against my CS SeeMore).

5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter?

If I were to test this putter, I'd like to see the difference (with a similar stroke) in perceived feel off of the face between my milled SeeMore and the insert of the TR for starters, using video to record sound off of the face. I've always been a milled face putter guy in terms of feel, but I get continually intrigued by some of the new inserts that have come out in the past couple years. Since I struggle with distance control, I want to know if the TR will feel softer and roll better on my long putts. Will the TR make a difference in helping me make more putts from short/medium range and help me lag them closer on longer ranges? Will the Piper C being a mid-mallet help my alignment better than the blade-style of my ONEcs? Lots of questions that could be answered here through a combination of indoor, outdoor, and live round testing.

1. What putter are you currently playing? SeeMore M7 PR

2. What is your strength in putting? Consistency. I always seem to hover around 29-32 putts per round, depending on how many greens I hit that day.

3. What is your weakness in putting? I tend to read too much break in a lot of putts I hit so I tend to hit the putt a bit softer in hopes it takes the break.

4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? Piper C

5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? There will be a of practice green testing against the 2 regarding feel, touch, speed, sweet spot, distance and consistency. It will then be taken onto the course for live round testing.

Thanks THP and Ping for this great opportunity!

Great opportunity here! Love PING putters! Thank you THP and PING

1. What putter are you currently playing? Bettinardi BB-27 35"2. What is your strength in putting? Putts within 8ft
3. What is your weakness in putting? Not hitting the center of the face
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? Anser2 or Grayhawk
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? I would testthe putter from all different types of putts from the short non pressure putts or the longer pressure putts. I strongly believe that putting is 80% confidence. If the slightest sound or look does not inspire confidence, you're not going to do well with that putter. So I would take video emphasizing in sound on good center strikes, and off center hits. Would test forgiveness on off center hits compared to my Betti. I am constantly putting when I am at my house. I have an indoor putting green. I believe the best part of my game is my putting ability. I have tried hundreds of putters so I think I could test this and put it through its paces very well and give some great feedback for fellow THP members who are interested in buying a new putter.

Thanks for the opportunity. I was in my local golf store last week and discovered that Ping is back in the heel-shafted putter business with the Shea-H, which I'd love to compare to my current putter.

Taylor Made Kia Ma Maranello TP
2. What is your strength in putting? Distance control / Lag Putting
3. What is your weakness in putting? 6-10 foot (midrange) putts
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? Shea H (34")
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? I practice 2x a week on various putting greens near my house. I play a lag putting practice game where I putt 2 balls each at 9 holes, keeping a score vs. Par. I'd also do on course testing and be specifically looking for how quickly the ball starts rolling, how well it sounds \ feels off the putter face and how easy it is to align.

1. What putter are you currently playing? Seemore M3
2. What is your strength in putting? Reading greens
3. What is your weakness in putting? Distance control is my biggest weakness
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? I like the Tomcat s
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? I would use my clubs putting green and several putting training aids like the Putting Tutor. I also play 4 times a week so I will use it in actual competition

1. What putter are you currently playing? Odyssey White Hot #7
2. What is your strength in putting? Lag putting
3. What is your weakness in putting? tendency to push putts to the right
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? Anser 2
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? Practice putting green comparrison of 3' 6' 12' and lag putts, Courses here are not crowded so would play 2 balls as often as possible on the green to compare both current and ping putter over 2-3 rounds

1. What putter are you currently playing? Nike method 001

Alignment, setup, speed control

Pushes and pulls

4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? I don't know. But if I were selected I would use the iPing app to tell me what putter is best for me and Document that in my review.

5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? At first I would use putting drills to gauge how well the putter performs initially in my hands. After the initial intro and comparison, I would play the ping putter exclusively, because in testing, especially with a putter, you need to trust it fully to unleash its full potential. Without gaming it exclusively, it's easy for the benefits and technology to get lost against your personal preferences in what you currently play.

^Siri probably sucks.

1. What putter are you currently playing? Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Notchback
2. What is your strength in putting? Inside of 8 feet.
3. What is your weakness in putting? Lag putting.
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? Blade of some sort. Probably the D66.
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? How it compares to my putter in every aspect i can think of; feel, weight, look at address, comfort, how a ball feels off the face, how easy it is to perform short and lag putts.

Last edited:
Absolutely did not see this coming. Saw the Lee Westwood commerical about the "true roll" this weekend - and was checking out the new line yesterday/ I even had a long chat with co-workers about Ping putters this morning! Thank you so much Ping and THP for this opportunity! I love my current SeeMore - but am always willing to give new equipment a shot at cracking the bag.

1. What putter are you currently playing? SeeMore Si3
2. What is your strength in putting? Putting is probably the worst part of my game to be honest. I would say my strength is reading greens though. I often have a lot of putts that lip out or are on line the whole way and don't make it there.
3. What is your weakness in putting? Lag-putting. Anything outside of 25 feet and my average putts are over 2. Not good at all.
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? Love the mallets - so the B60, or the Piper C (which reminds me of my current SeeMore).
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? I have already dedicated the early part of my season for practicing putting. I have a local course about 2 minutes away from work that I plan to visit twice a week to work solely on the flatstick. If given the opportunity to test, I would bring the Ping and SeeMore down to the green, and chart out a series of putting scenarios to see where each putter shines. As this wouldn't 100% simulate real golfing nerves and pressures, I would also put the Ping in the bag and match up my on course results/stats against the SeeMore. Also - while researching the Ping lineup this morning, I already put in an order for the Ping Putting Cradle. I think this would be beneficial to the testing as well as I could compare all the putters I currently own using the feedback from the iPing putter app.

I just wanted to thank Ping and THP again for this awesome opportunity. I have never gamed anything from Ping before, so I am very excited for this testing.

Good luck to everyone!

Incredible opportunity, I am in the midst of switching putters and not sure I could give this what it deserves. I had no idea the Scottsdale TR line had so many options - some phenomenal looking mallets in that lineup!

Looking forward to seeing whom is selected and what they choose to test and how they go about it!

Thanks to THP and Ping for this great opportunity!

I'm switching back and forth between the SeeMore FGP and the SeeMore M7. Leaning more toward the M7 at the moment.

If I had to pick a strength, I would say lag putting. However, putting as a whole is a pretty big weakness in my game lately.

Short putts (inside 5-6 feet). I just can't seem to get confident over these putts.

4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test?
I would choose the Piper C as I tend to do better with center shafted putters

I would start on our practice green comparing the Scottsdale to both SeeMore putters doing long lag putts and short putts. After getting a few test runs on the practice green, I would take it out to the course and let it get some action out there. I would probably take all 3 putters out with me and compare them on the course with all types of putts (uphill, downhill, etc.)

Ping stepping up with testing, I like it. Thank for the oppurtunity.

1. What putter are you currently playing? Seemore m5
2. What is your strength in putting? 10-15' range
3. What is your weakness in putting? Inside 5' and pulls due to set up
4. What style of Scottsdale TR would you choose if chosen to test? I would go with the piper C Straight is chosen. It has good lines and is center shafted
5. What process or methodology will you be using to test the Scottsdale TR against your putter? I would put it through its paces with my usual practice routine of three ball, four holes of varying lengths and 10 putts with each ball. I'd also place it in the bag for on course testing immediately. Living in Florida allows for a lot of golf.

Back