forward press/shaft lean

Bog33y

Reaction score
Handicap
I played a round yesterday after a month long hiatus. The round went fairly well, and I managed to par the toughest hole on the course! Anyway, I struggle with consistent ball striking especially with my irons. I was with my uncle, who's basically a scratch shooter, and he pointed out a few things with my swing.

At address, he was telling me I need to have forwards press/shaft lean (I'm a rightie btw). I normally have the butt of the club pointed towards my naval... this is for all of my clubs with the exception to my driver. He also noticed that my right leg has a tendency to straighten out at the top of my backswing. He says this is one of the reasons why I was pushing the ball right.

After the round was over we spent a little time on the course at a few empty holes and he was giving me pointers to help correct what he saw were my swing issues. With the forward press/shaft lean I didn't feel like I was really compressing the ball and my contact wasn't the flush. And trying to keep my left leg flexed at the top of my backswing just felt weird. Anyway, just wanted to hear your thoughts/feedback. Next time I'll ask someone to take some pics when I'm at the range.

Thanks!

My instructor wants my hands ahead of the ball, but he usually has me accomplish that by shoulder tilt (left above the right).

Like Hawk My instuctor wants my hands infront of the ball aiming at the inside of my front leg
When i made the change in my swing it took a few weeks to feel more comfortable with it

In theory, with a forward press (hands in front of the ball), is a point where the bankswing begins, and it should be at this same point where the club bottoms out (after hitting the ball), and this means ball than divot. I don't move in to a forward press, but setup with my hands in front of the ball, and it makes for a perfect ball than divot swing for me. If you get your hands behind the ball, you will hit the ground behind the ball which is not good. Off set in many irons help keep your hands forward as well.

My GolfTEC instructor has me with my hands slightly in front of the ball and it has lead to a much more consistent strike of the ball with all of my irons.

My pro has my hands in the same place for all clubs, just inside my left thigh. It works for me.

If you really want to improve the quickest way is to see a professional. Good golfers often make lousy teachers - I speak from experience! :blowkiss:

Sometimes I will use a forward press to trigger my swing.

Forward press at address is more than simply getting a good visual position. Like Hoosier mentioned it is a way to give yourself an idea of where the bottom of the swing will be at impact. The bigger factor to that position is aiming the club properly. When you can get hands inside the lead thigh at address and square the club you are setting yourself up for a good impact position with irons...even if you can't always get back to that position. Set yourself up for success at all times!

I agree with much of the advice here. Good setup for most will have the hands ahead of "center" and ahead of the ball with most clubs.

I like to look down and, with a left shoulder high setup my hands should cover my left foot if I'm correctly set up.

Snap hooked from my Galaxy S3

I'm on board with all of the recommendations so far. My instructor told me to start with my hands out in front and visualize the velcro closure on my glove (right handed, glove on left hand)should be the first thing past the ball on the downswing and towards the target. My ball-striking has been much better since practicing that.

The only time the hands forward rules doesn't apply for me, is with 3 wood and driver. Works for me as a sweeper of the ball with the wood and I want everything behind the ball with driver, although I trigger the swing with a slight forward press.

I tend to set up without any shaft lean on my irons but use a slight forward press as my trigger to start my swing

I've been thinking about trying this. I think my next range session I'm going to give it a shot and see how it works out.

Thanks everyone, I took a series of lessons when I first started but haven't seen my instructor in a while. I think I'm due lol! Anyway I haven't made it to the range yet but I took some practice swings in my backyard with the forward press. I did notice my left wrist was more flat at the impact position. One of my biggest issues is divoting before the ball. I know that's because I'm either flipping my wrists and/or I'm not getting my weight forward. At any rate, I feel like the forward press will help... hope I can get some range time in this week.

Here are some snapshots of my swing. I was trying to work on my forward press today. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated... Thanks!!

C43FDC5A-2ADD-40D5-877B-F907A8AD975A-3962-000001D8AAB730EE.jpg

11372DB7-2E53-4ECC-906B-CE0FB00DF043-3962-000001D8C12D28F6.jpg

96D8DDE6-718C-4C8A-97F1-491593C9A435-3962-000001D8CF6D37BF.jpg

0131CE86-1B27-417E-AC6E-550BC9CF4617-3962-000001D8DDDEE61B.jpg

3B18186B-683B-4941-9914-9538110E4F87-3962-000001D8F3AF2D2E.jpg

13AA2D19-049A-4678-8EE2-4E462354DC0C-3962-000001D98A02BF0A.jpg

9A95C33F-72D5-45ED-8CC5-2F2F25549984-3962-000001D999755884.jpg

Back