Forward shaft lean = shots to the left?

lowfi

Reaction score
Handicap
8.8 OOB
Hi everyone,

So I had my first lesson on Monday and my instructor advised me to play with a bit more forward shaft lean, between my zipper and my pocket...uh,...my gonad? He suggested this because I mentioned that sometimes my mishits are thin and I tend to play with inconsistencies.

Today on the range I was having solid contact but most of my shots started left and stayed left. Sometimes they were a baby draw. I'm having a hard time keeping the clubface pointing towards the target at address due to my hands being pushed forward. This is only happening with my irons as I am not putting forward lean on my woods.

Do you guys know possible reasons why my shots are going left (push/pull...im not sure which one, sorry)? Where should ball position be with my hands like this, the same? Should the forward lean get less and less as you go to shorter irons?

Thanks!!

Low

Ive done the same thing and im getting a big pull to. I notice it more when i have poor lag in my shot. Dont kknow if that is the cause or an effect of somethign else.

Forward shaft lean incorrectly can cause the club to be too upright and catch on the heel. That will close the face thru impact

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forward shaft lean incorrectly can cause the club to be too upright and catch on the heel. That will close the face thru impact

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What Thain said....if your clubs are properly fit, then all you really need to do is take a normal stance and then push your hands foward slightly....BUT NOT IN....this is where some people make a mistake is they pull the hands closer to them at the same time and that closes the clubface slightly which can cause the the pull to the left.

push your hands foward slightly....BUT NOT IN
I bet thats my issue. I was wondering what "forward shaft lean incorrectly" meant. Thanks! I will report back how my session goes tomorrow!

I think how you accomplish the forward shaft-lean is important.

Simply moving your hands forward would have little benefit, except on a chip or pitch. However, if the shaft-leans as a result of you bracing against your left side, now you've moved the low point of your swing in front of the ball, which is what you want for an iron.

Back