Fountain pens, stationary, journaling, snail mail, penpals

Zenger

Gunga... Gunga Galooga
Reaction score
Handicap
CDGA 1.7
I went back two years didn’t see a thread.

Anyone share these interests ? Penpaling etc?
Just got a pilot vanishing point for Christmas.
I write daily and letter write weekly to multiple correspondents I’ve kept for quite a while throughout the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I enjoy the art of letter-writing, though I rarely have the time. About 10 or 15 years ago I was feeling rather flush, and bought a Mont Blanc Boheme (the one with the sapphire in the clip.) Along with the pen, I purchased some fancy inks and papers and sat down and wrote several letters to old friends and family. I think only one actually wrote back. The rest called or texted to let me know they received my letter. Oh well.

The pen still sits on my desk, alongside an inkwell. I pretty much only use it to sign important documents now.

Perhaps I'll try again someday soon.

Not really my thing but I know someone who does journaling. Whats more important a nice journal or a good pen?

I like pens. I don't write enough to justify nice pens... or cheap pens... and my penmanship is so terrible that it's a crime to any kind of writing implement.:cry::ROFLMAO:

I think the pen.
Interesting. If I wanted to get a nice pen as a gift to go with a journal do you have any suggestions or places I should look?

Interesting. If I wanted to get a nice pen as a gift to go with a journal do you have any suggestions or places I should look?
I think start with the brands you know, like Pilot, Parker, Cross, etc. Check out their websites and see what their premium stuff looks like. If nothing suits your fancy, then go looking at more of the luxury brands like Mont Blanc, ST Dupont, Caran d'Ache. They'll cost you a bit more, but if the recipient is in to it, they'll apprreciate it for a lifetime.

If we talking fountain pens a gold nib will produce the smoothest, free flowing, no catch write.

Cannot go wrong with a pen from Pilot, Sailor, Mont Blanc. But plenty of lower end fountain pens manufacturers such as Lamy, TWSBI, and Kaweco. That’s not to say they do not make higher end pens themselves.

Paper is very important as well. That being said so is the ink. Fast dry, no feather, no bleed, dry vs wet, tons of options.

I write daily with a Conklin All American that belonged to my grand father 50 years ago. I use a fast drying ink called Bernanke Blue. The nib is stainless and scratches at times.

I use a low acidity Maruman paper that fights bleeds, blotting and feathering.

Pens recommended for starting out:
Pilot Metropolitan
Lamy Al Star
TWSBI Eco

Mid range:
Lamy 2000
Twsbi 580
Pilot vanishing point (approaching higher end)

High end:
Sailor
Other pilots
Mont blanc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I inherited the love of watches and pens from my Father, but sorrowfully use the latter now only for grocery lists and writing a check or 2 each month.

I write with a fountain pen at work. It's not an incredibly expensive model, but it's fancy enough for me considering it's an everyday use item. I've used it for the past two years: Lamy CP1 in matte black. I combined that with their Z26 Converter for ease of refill.

I use the Pilot Iroshizuku, Asa-Gao for ink. I like it. Smooth writing, fast drying and an interesting, but professional blue colour.

I have a couple other fountain pens around the house, but none really get used as much as the one at work so they dry out and aren't ready for use when I need a pen. I tried to pick up calligraphy a few years ago too but couldn't commit the time necessary. I can do super basic, but it doesn't look very good. Another 'one day' thing.

Back