Four Way vs. Fourteen Way Bag Question

Junkyard

Will Travel for Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright so I just converted as a long-time 14-way bag user to a lighter 4-way. I used it for the first time yesterday and now have a question for those of you who use four or five way tops: do you find that your grips wear down quickly since they are in constant contact within the bag? My initial impression was that it takes a lot more pulling/twisting etc. to get the club you want out of the bag.

I just made the same switch. My grips are the leather grips from best grips. So far no issues. Will see how they fare through this season.

I moved the other direction and never noted any early wear on my grips with fewer slots.

I need 14 and full length. Jumbo grips get tangled really easily.

Never noticed. At most 3 clubs per slot. Woods slot is most congested and not a big change. Not sure on your set up.

I was the opposite. I switched from 5 way to 14 way and don't plan to go back. I remember how challenging the 5 way bag was.

Never noticed. At most 3 clubs per slot. Woods slot is most congested and not a big change. Not sure on your set up.
That's the part that makes my OCD twitch a little bit. Top slot is driver/fairway/putter, left centre is 3H, 4H, 5H, right centre is 5I to 8i and bottom is 9i PW GW SW. Visually it looks like way too many clubs but I need some time to adjust to the change.

I was the opposite. I switched from 5 way to 14 way and don't plan to go back. I remember how challenging the 5 way bag was.
I love the 14 way setup, I was looking to shed a bit of weight as I'm not getting any younger. I could feel the difference on Wednesday, and once I stepped on the scale at home I discovered it dropped 2 pounds. We'll see how the switch pans out.

That's the part that makes my OCD twitch a little bit. Top slot is driver/fairway/putter, left centre is 3H, 4H, 5H, right centre is 5I to 8i and bottom is 9i PW GW SW. Visually it looks like way too many clubs but I need some time to adjust to the change.
14 way just looks like overkill. The Ohio woods setup was perfect. Thinking I might go back to that style. Either way no OCD here except when I see 5 clubs in on pocket accidentally. Or when I wedge gets covered and I think I lost it

I have a 6 way carry bag and a 14 way cart bag, can't say I have noticed any extra wear when using the carry bag

My new irons have midsize grips on them so I will see how they all fit in the carry bag once they arrive

I have never noticed excessive wear on my grips. I have used a bag with just two openings and no full length divider for years. I do find that if you stand the bag straight up when pulling a club or replacing one they go in much easier.

All 14 way for me. When I walk I use a push cart so weight isn't a big issue for me. I really don't like my clubs to touch. Then again I don't use iron covers, and I play my irons for at least 3 years so they still get plenty of chatter. Something about them in the same hole just drives me crazy though. I also like that with the 14 way I know immediately if I'm missing a club.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Something about them in the same hole just drives me crazy though.

Would that be a bad crazy or a naughty crazy? 🤣🤣

Kidding aside, I completely agree with everything Davis said

I have a 5-way carry and 14-way for push cart. I didn’t notice any extra wear, just more annoying to get clubs in/out with the shared spots.

I have never noticed excessive wear on my grips. I have used a bag with just two openings and no full length divider for years. I do find that if you stand the bag straight up when pulling a club or replacing one they go in much easier.
That makes sense. Even before I went away from the 14 way, I would usually set the base down, pull my club and then tip it forward onto the legs. I'm still in the infancy stage so there's still a few details to work out.

All 14 way for me. When I walk I use a push cart so weight isn't a big issue for me. I really don't like my clubs to touch. Then again I don't use iron covers, and I play my irons for at least 3 years so they still get plenty of chatter. Something about them in the same hole just drives me crazy though. I also like that with the 14 way I know immediately if I'm missing a club.

I don't mind the clubs touching, but the ease of order and knowing if a club was absent was my main reason for 14-way all these years. I could also pretty much pull any club without needing to look since I knew the order they would be in.
The 4-way looks really crowded, I may have to drop a couple of clubs for a round or two and see if that makes a difference or not. Would also make the bag lighter on these super-hot days

That makes sense. Even before I went away from the 14 way, I would usually set the base down, pull my club and then tip it forward onto the legs. I'm still in the infancy stage so there's still a few details to work out.

I have a TM 5 way FlexTech and experience some club tangle. I always put the bag down first, with legs out, then grab the club. After the shot, I put the club back while the legs are still out. I'm going to try your way next round. This sounds like it'll work much better. Good tip!

I haven’t had a problem with my 4 way and grip wear.

When I had a 6-way I did notice my grips wore out faster as evidenced by the black rubber marks all over the shafts from pulling them out of the bag. Since switching to 14 full length dividers I have not seen that wear pattern. I'm old and play a very hilly course, with my walking days behind me, I like the convenience of a larger cart bag.

I use a 14 way bag primarily because my woods shafts and grips were rubbing against each other and I was starting to see damage on the shafts. While I’m not paranoid about performance with some dings, golf clubs are way too expensive to not try to do what I can to protect them

I use a 14 way bag primarily because my woods shafts and grips were rubbing against each other and I was starting to see damage on the shafts. While I’m not paranoid about performance with some dings, golf clubs are way too expensive to not try to do what I can to protect them
This has me concerned somewhat as my new irons were ordered with graphite.

When I had a 6-way I did notice my grips wore out faster as evidenced by the black rubber marks all over the shafts from pulling them out of the bag. Since switching to 14 full length dividers I have not seen that wear pattern. I'm old and play a very hilly course, with my walking days behind me, I like the convenience of a larger cart bag.
While I've only had it for a couple of rounds it seems like my grips have a chalky feeling to them despite being only 15 rounds old. The fact that you have a large group of them clumped together in the bottom of the bag I can't help but think they will wear quicker.

Back