Fox Gives Up US Open Rights

mikeg_74

2015 Grandaddy | 2019 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
11ish
Well the only network who actually gave us great golf coverage bailed on the US Open contract. NBC picked it up so back to the same crappy coverage and fluff pieces instead of actual golf being broadcasted.

I'm bothered by this so much. They had the on course stuff miles ahead of the rest. Their interviews weren't good and their commentary was mediocre at best. But they were at least trying new things. Great, back to more Jimmy Roberts and all of the commercials :rolleyes:

just came to post this. this is a real bummer. fox was on a great trajectory giving us something new and exciting. this is a big loss for golf fans.

I wont miss the commentary at all but the on course stuff will be missed

I'm bothered by this so much. They had the on course stuff miles ahead of the rest. Their interviews weren't good and their commentary was mediocre at best. But they were at least trying new things. Great, back to more Jimmy Roberts and all of the commercials :rolleyes:

this is my biggest issue. Too many commercials and fluff pieces and not enough golf. I loved the production and the drone cameras. They have unique angles into the golf.

Not happy to see Fox go but NBC getting it is way better than CBS getting it.

I'll miss Fox for golf. Even though they only cover a handful of events I think they made their mark on how to cover golf. NBC over CBS though is a win.

This sucks!

This is too bad. Fox was doing good things with the broadcasts the last few years and losing them as a broadcaster competitor takes the pressure off the other networks.

Bummer on this one. I thought the Fox coverage, while different, was a breath of fresh air and a nice change from the week to week coverage we see.

I guess I don’t watch too intently. I don’t mind anyone’s actual coverage from camera angles and the like. I have certain on air people I dislike but can manage by them for great shots.

Not very happy about this but at least there will be no more Joe Buck.

And again, our hopes of a disruptive force in golf coverage are dashed. f**k!

Not an issue for me. Give me a close Sunday contest at an historic venue and it doesn't matter who is dong the broadcasting.

The optics aren’t very good, but I am guessing they got a smoking deal to buy the rights.

Well this sucks!

Aww man! This sucks.

Really surprised by this - I thought Fox was on the right track. Maybe Joe Buck got tired of it.

Drinks all around! No more Joe Buck ruining my golf coverage!

Reactions: ORT
The optics aren’t very good, but I am guessing they got a smoking deal to buy the rights.

I dont understand the issues with the optics.In todays ecconomy deals you made back then are perhaps bad deals today. As far as Mr. Palmer's vision for GC. Whatever. It is a business. I dont think his vison was playing Bagger Vance and Caddy Shack every other week. I am surprised by the boring thing its become.

I'm really surprised Fox would give it up unless the economics didn't make sense or they didn't think they could safely pull it off. Outside of Nascar and news coverage, there is other live coverage that seems relevant right now and I would think a sports broadcaster would be jumping at any opportunity for live coverage.

Good points.

Last edited:
Back