Friend going for first fitting

Nice. Good selection of drivers so far

Trying Callaway Epic now

Ugh Epic was a big no go right off the bat. Still trying to find the right head. Ping G425 LST is up but he already hates the turbulators look so we will see.

Yeah that G425 experiment was a complete failure. He just got handed TM Stealth. First few swings not looking so good. Sound is terrible to me.

He is stuck between the ST220G and TSi3. He is hitting the ST220G dead center face but in 4 swings one dead center, one left, and 2 right. The TSi3 is all draws in a tight dispersion left of center, more efficient but hitting it more towards the toe. Distance, spin, etc pretty much equal.

He wants to love the Mizuno, for one it’s cheaper, but the fitter and I are both telling him take the tighter dispersion and once he starts finding center face it is going to go a mile.

Seems like he is going TSi3 10* turned down to 9.25* with Tensei White xstiff.

image.jpg
ST220G red, TSi3 white.

Not sure we are going to get a final decision on utility, hybrid, or fairway today.

Oooooo they changed up on me.
same driver and irons but going with FliHi 4, TSi3 3W and 3H

St-Z or Z 220? Too much spin might be just what slow swingers like this old guy (me) need?!

They made a decision change when I walked away to shop some at the end. He went ahead and added a FliHi 4 but decided to not get a fairway or hybrid until he has a chance to really get fit for them.

I think that was a smart move. For one, he is going to rack up a boatload of points on this purchase so he may be able to get one or both for very cheap. Two, he now understands how important it is to be fit.

Thanks - not to hijack but how much more spin were we talking?
I have looked at so many numbers the last few hours I honestly do not remember.

It's awesome that you were there for your buddy and he saw what you were talking about.
It sucks he wasn't able to find a driver that just worked but that Titleist isn't anything to sneeze at.

Since he's going Titleist driver and 3W, is he going to get a Titlest staff bag? Or is his bag going to match his irons?

Great stuff here!

Glad you were there to help your friend, and hopefully keep the fitter honest as well.

It's awesome that you were there for your buddy and he saw what you were talking about.
It sucks he wasn't able to find a driver that just worked but that Titleist isn't anything to sneeze at.

Since he's going Titleist driver and 3W, is he going to get a Titlest staff bag? Or is his bag going to match his irons?
I have no idea on the bag. He is all over the place on that right now.

On a side note, he may be joining the forum soon.

Those Pro 225s seem to be really great performers for a lot of players, I wonder if he thinks they're not cool enough or something, lol.
Quite the opposite. While his original thoughts was T100s after some discussion with me about looking at a lot of options, the 225s being 1, he actually walked in the door hoping the 225 would come out on top.

I'm glad he had a good experience and you were able to help him along the way.
Being a newbie it's differently encouraging to have people help you better understand since there is so much that goes into every little detail.

What ball was he using during the fittings? He may want to consider buying a dozen or so. I have found that can play a good deal if using a different type when on the course.

Great thread! A fitting seems like the best route and can help your game tremendously. Thanks for taking us with you guys! Appreciate the insight.

What ball was he using during the fittings? He may want to consider buying a dozen or so. I have found that can play a good deal if using a different type when on the course.
I meant to look but completely forgot. He is cheap though and tends to play a lot of SuperSofts. Probably not the best ball for him by any means. He is averaging about 109 chs with driver with peaks around 113.

We were actually talking about doing a ball fitting at some me point but around here that is not an easy thing to find.

Great thread! A fitting seems like the best route and can help your game tremendously. Thanks for taking us with you guys! Appreciate the insight.
It was a ton of fun for me. He went from thinking there would be no real big difference between club heads and even more so with shafts to walking out realizing how much difference there can be in all of it. Getting a fitting for the first time is an eye opening experience for most people. That was one of the big reasons I started the thread.

Back