From Graphite to Steel

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I made the switch from steel to graphite (Recoils) after a minor elbow injury and some tendonitis. After the Grandaddy fitting I bought an extra set of Jaws Wedges but went with steel to try them and have had good success and not elbow issues from them. The thing I noticed also was that I was getting about 5-7 yards more from the steel shafted wedges compared to the same wedges in the Recoils.
I am considering going back to Modus 105's or C-Taper Lite 105's

Just wondering if anyone has went back to steel after playing graphite for a few years and if any issues.
What graphite where you using and what steel did you go to.

I can't help with the graphite to steel change, but the Modus 105 in my Srixon irons are just amazing and you wouldn't be disappointed going to those

Can't help you with the transition, but I know a few OEMs have VSS or tech to relieve stress on the joints in steel shafts. Good luck on your journey.

Can't help you with the transition, but I know a few OEMs have VSS or tech to relieve stress on the joints in steel shafts. Good luck on your journey.
Just a thought right now, but you are right the tech has gotten so much better all around that is makes the choices hard sometimes.

I’ve made the transition back, Snicks. I didn’t necessarily mean to, but I found a set of 585s at a ridiculous price last year, which had the Modus 105s. I loved that shaft, but I did notice some left elbow issues. I’ve played the Elevate 95s for more than a year now, and the VSS is the real deal. I definitely think having some vibration dampening in the steel would help ease the transition.

I made the switch from steel to graphite (Recoils) after a minor elbow injury and some tendonitis. After the Grandaddy fitting I bought an extra set of Jaws Wedges but went with steel to try them and have had good success and not elbow issues from them. The thing I noticed also was that I was getting about 5-7 yards more from the steel shafted wedges compared to the same wedges in the Recoils.
I am considering going back to Modus 105's or C-Taper Lite 105's

Just wondering if anyone has went back to steel after playing graphite for a few years and if any issues.
What graphite where you using and what steel did you go to.

If I would go back to steel, it would only be Nippon - Rifles, KBS, DG all gave me elbow issues. Nippon - no issues.

You would be better off going with higher weight Recoils/Graphite and Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115 shafts in the long run.

I went from Recoil 95’s in my Hogan’s to DG120 in my Pings. Picked up distance, consistency, and have had zero pain

I went from Mitsubishi Fubuki to a set of Dynamic Gold, then from Recoil 95 to Project X Rifle. With each change, I immediately noticed the difference with not only how the ball was launching and the distance I was getting, but also how my body felt afterwards. In terms of distance, shortest to longest ball flight: Fubuki, DG, Recoil, PX. But in terms of how I feel after the round, the Recoil are my preferred shaft for now. To be fair, I don't think the Fubuki shafts were ever a good fit for me - they were far too light.

All said, I don't think I've got my set optimized yet. I definitely think that the heavier PX shaft helps me, but I prefer the feel of graphite on full swings. As soon as I can, I'll get a set of graphite shafts into my new-to-me irons (I have my eye on a set of ACCRA shafts). I really think that the bend profile has a big effect on things too.

I do still have steel shafts in my 56 and 60 degree wedges though.

I am kind of surprised there is more distance in the steel shafts.

I'm making the transition from steel Modus 105 over to Recoils once my new sticks get here, but I can say that I love the way that the Nippon shaft feels. It's so smooth. I would have no problem playing them again, but I got better numbers for me with the Recoils. Good luck man!

We are all different with different results - get the correct weight graphite and correct graphite shaft... Some players get better performance with heavy shafts.I went from 80 to 95g in graphite and may go higher later, but doubt it.

I played Recoil 95's for a few seasons and then got fitted. I need a heavy shaft for my tempo, so KBS 120's were (and have historically been) my best option. I've seen no ill effects going back to steel and I'm a candidate that should/would. Lots of old sports injuries/surgeries that include a spinal fusion. The recoil 110's and 125's really intrigue me but nobody offers them as an option.

We are all different with different results - get the correct weight graphite and correct graphite shaft... Some players get better performance with heavy shafts.I went from 80 to 95g in graphite and may go higher later, but doubt it.

The extra weight helps me make better contact and helps me feel the club better. I don’t have a high SS but I do swing pretty aggressively and the heavier shafts help with that

I picked up about 5 yards on each wedge when I went to graphite. I have no plans to ever go back to steel even if it meant more distance. I will take pain free and on the course whenever I want to play!

The extra weight helps me make better contact and helps me feel the club better. I don’t have a high SS but I do swing pretty aggressively and the heavier shafts help with that

Glad it's working for you. A belief exists that lighter means faster, but current reading, as your experience shows, indicates that is not always true (and you and others earn better contact with more heft).

Why? I am by no means a shaft expert at all, but I would think there is a torque issue at play? I know for me the steel in my wedges as I referenced earlier have a heavier feel but are swing weighted the same. They just feel heavier down and thru for some reason.

I’ve made the transition back, Snicks. I didn’t necessarily mean to, but I found a set of 585s at a ridiculous price last year, which had the Modus 105s. I loved that shaft, but I did notice some left elbow issues. I’ve played the Elevate 95s for more than a year now, and the VSS is the real deal. I definitely think having some vibration dampening in the steel would help ease the transition.
This is a worry for sure and why I went with some steel in my wedges to kind of test the waters. Has been good so far so really a matter of getting fit for the right steel shafts.

Why? I am by no means a shaft expert at all, but I would think there is a torque issue at play? I know for me the steel in my wedges as I referenced earlier have a heavier feel but are swing weighted the same. They just feel heavier down and thru for some reason.

Static weight versus swing weight, I assume. I’m sure yardage differences could be caused by better strikes. As Crossfield says, “strike is king.”

This year went from Recoils to Elevates and no elbow issues, and I had a serious case of tennis elbow. The VSS works.

I have played graphite for probably 5 years now, and in my fitting in October, they fit me into steel. Didn't even let me hit graphite......

And it is probably what is keeping me from buying. I love graphite. I love how little pain I have on mishits with graphite.

I am now waiting to make a purchase until I test out at least one graphite option with the JPX-921 Hot Metals.

This year went from Recoils to Elevates and no elbow issues, and I had a serious case of tennis elbow. The VSS works.
I wear a compression sleeve on my left elbow even with the Recoils and would continue to do so with steel. Probably a matter of finding the correct steel shaft for my swing and needs of ball flight.

I am not a shaft expert either just thought there would be more juice out of graphite.

Back