From what do you derive joy in the game of golf?

From what do you derive joy in the game of golf?

• Total voters

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Played today with my son and we were talking. We each derive joy from the game differently. He says he doesn't have fun when he's playing poorly. I can find joy even when I'm playing below the level I know I should.

Feel free to add comments to support your selection.

I may have said shooting a low score in the past, but my perspective has changed. I get joy from golf by getting out with my friends. Hopefully one day with my kids. It's a couple hours where we banter, reminisce, and just enjoy each other's company. Doesnt matter what other life stresses we have, when we are on the course it is all about that quality time!

A close 2nd is being out on nature
We get out early most rounds, and witness some of the most beautiful scenes with wildlife, a picturesque sunrise, and morning dew.

hitting that one shot that keeps you coming back. ie the one that misses all the trees and seems to find the green like a heat seeking missile

#2, #4, #6, and #7 for me. I can't walk 18 anymore, but I still like getting out on a day when the weather is beautiful.

I enjoy getting out with friends and playing a round with no time limit and listening to the same old stories over and over again.

Just out playing with friends, taking a nice walk all while challenging myself to play the best I can.
Thats where I find my joy in golfing.

Pretty much everything about golf brings me joy. I’m always thankful for the opportunity and the ability to play a round

All of the above. And more.

Using my new clicgear.
Listening to the tires on the grass.
Mishitting a shot.
Hitting a shot well.
Overshooting the green.
Landing on the green.
3 putting.
4 putting.
The ball landing in the hole.
Getting the ball from the hole.
Feeling the turf squish in a particularly damp spot on the green.
Being above the grass.
Not being at work.
Golfing.
:)

All of the above. And more.

Using my new clicgear.
Listening to the tires on the grass.
Mishitting a shot.
Hitting a shot well.
Overshooting the green.
Landing on the green.
3 putting.
4 putting.
The ball landing in the hole.
Getting the ball from the hole.
Feeling the turf squish in a particularly damp spot on the green.
Being above the grass.
Not being at work.
Golfing.
:)

You're easy to please.

Keep the votes coming, everyone! This is another data gathering exercise for my discussions with my boy.

For the record, I added "The Challenge" so for those of you who already voted, if that fits your style, then go back and add it. I added it because it's my #1 thing. I enjoy the challenge of golf. I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if it was an easy game.

For the record, I added "The Challenge" so for those of you who already voted, if that fits your style, then go back and add it. I added it because it's my #1 thing. I enjoy the challenge of golf. I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if it was an easy game.
Changed my vote from "other" to "The Challege" as that what I listed in my first post as other.:cool:

There are a number of things I enjoy. I enjoy seeing improvement in my game, being out on the course, the crushed shot that lands mid fairway, the nice approach shot, and nice putts. I suppose the challenge of the game intrigues me and I enjoy being challenged as long as there is some satisfaction there.

Waking up on a golf day-the expectation-getting the gear ready, checking in, that #1 tee shot...all of it

I love all of it, that is a great answer. ☕:D

I like the challenge, it is a different challenge every time you play. Especially the challenge of a new course never played before.

I play golf for enjoyment and for the challenge.

It's a great game you can play your whole life, while getting a nice bit of exercise and solving the world's problems with friends and it will never be so easy it's boring

I tend to glow about the few great shot I pull off each round. That's what gets me coming back. For example I ripped a 3w into a killer head wind the had me chipping onto a par 5.

I chose a few like hitting a close shot. However, most of my joy in golf comes from playing with friends. I don’t like to go by myself and hit a round just to play golf. The most enjoyable part is hanging with friends, laughing at each other’s bad shots, hoping to see a great shot or have a story to tell, and hanging around after just talking.

I didn’t see it on there as a choice (shoot low scores was closest), but I also enjoy the competitive part of the game when playing against others. I guess that would be in the other.

I chose several, but highest on the list is the challenge followed closely by Playing with friends.

Just seeing a great shot executed by anyone has always been my most enjoyable, I think. It's a hard game!

I chose several also but "the challenge" is probably the top, followed closely by "playing with friends". I can enjoy golf even when I'm not playing well (albeit with a bit more frustration mixed in), the whole experience of being out there is enjoyable.

I voted shooting a low score because, to this point, that's how I've gauged (for the most part) how much I enjoyed a round. Now, "low score" for me, is relative. Some people might go home ready to hang themselves after one of my low score rounds.

However, I'm going to try and change that this year. I want to enjoy the game for more than just my score. Yes, I want to score well. No, I don't want NOT shooting well ruin the rest of my day or too negatively affect the enjoyment that I can take from just being able to play golf. I mean f***, WE'RE ABLE TO PLAY GOLF!!!!!! We're some lucky people.

The peace it gives me sometimes just to be alone.

Back