Full bag fitting — setting realistic expectations

I'm always afraid of getting a club fitting because my major issue is consistency. Very smart on your part on making sure that your swing is in the right place.
I list to the golf.com podcast called Fully Equipped - fun actually. One of the guys from TrueSpec golf (fitter company) routinely says" If a golfer can hit the ball into the air and forward we can help with a fitting". While this may sound like a sales line, his rationale from it is, if you wait to have the "perfect swing" whatever that is, then you will never get the benefit of a fitting. So to your comments, if lack of consistency IS actually a consistency, a fitting may still be valid and according to the fitters that's a always good thing for a golfer.

Offering only as a point of view :)

I had to change my plan to go back in this morning and finish up the fitting. Fortunately, I was able to sort out key needs, most notably putter and irons.

Thinking about the fitting, I found it interesting how I would get along with a shaft right away or not. No need to overthink it. And with irons there are many I could play with the greatest of confidence. I simply had a few subjective preferences, although among the top choices it is a very thin line of difference.

Where things stand:

Driver: I have a better shaft profile in mind and will play around with some options and see if something resonates. tsi3 is on my mind, and I will give the new Mizunos every possible chance as the performance is right there. epic speed might even be a little better for me than epic max sl. sim2 is still an option, and g410/425 lst could work as well. With the right shaft I am very consistent with driver with fairly small performance differences across heads as long as I avoid higher launch and spin options. Some simply setup better and sound better.

3w: Will follow driver, I think. We didn't get to fairways in the fitting.

3i and, maybe, 4i spots are up for ongoing analysis. We did not get to this part of the bag either.

Irons: Srixon ZX7 are my choice. I ordered a 7i in my specs with an alternative shaft (MMT 105 stiff) to see how that feels. If that doesn't work, dialing in shaft may take some time. I don't want to pay $135 per shaft for the lagp's even if they did rock my world. I reserve the right to change my mind on that.

Wedges: Wedges are a strength, and that showed up when we got to this part of the bag. I just need to play what I like and make sure the gaps work. zipcores will stay for now, but some initial bending and shaft changes are likely. Hitting a range of wedges I loved the feel of the mg2 and will keep that ponder on simmer.

Putter: The hunt is on for a mallet with some toe hang for my slight arc and consistent tendency to pull putts left. Armlock will remain one of the options, but seeing my stroke more clearly and the feedback from samlab has me looking. I spent some time yesterday following up and testing putters at PGATSS. A surprising option for me might be the Axis1 rose. It worked crazy well for me, and I better understand now why it works for me. The why is important. I may give one a try. I also have a crush on a Sacks Perente mallet.

In summary: I learned. I don't take anything on the recommended lists as an absolute, but the process and experience were well worth the money.

I'm always afraid of getting a club fitting because my major issue is consistency. Very smart on your part on making sure that your swing is in the right place.

Even if you don’t feel that you’re swing is in top shape, you can still see benefits in a fitting. There are moments when it actually may be beneficial to be struggling a little. It can highlight the things that work or don’t work for you.

However, it’s extremely important that you as a golfer are ready for the fitting. If you feel you need to be swinging better, then wait. There is nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable with a fitting result. It causes some unnecessary strain and pressure on you and can leave a bad taste.

I have hit a bunch of clubs already and have some solid initial ideas. But these are exactly the kind of things I want to keep realistic. I appreciate this kind of honest take on fittings. (y)

I will be interested in your results -- your handicap is just a bit above mine.. I have always wondered how much better my scores would be if I got fitted. and what if anything would change. I am pretty happy being a 5-6 handicap at 74 years old,. Never been fitted for clubs -- have always fit myself thru various testing. dont like all the upcharges. :unsure:

I had to change my plan to go back in this morning and finish up the fitting. Fortunately, I was able to sort out key needs, most notably putter and irons.

Thinking about the fitting, I found it interesting how I would get along with a shaft right away or not. No need to overthink it. And with irons there are many I could play with the greatest of confidence. I simply had a few subjective preferences, although among the top choices it is a very thin line of difference.

Where things stand:

Driver: I have a better shaft profile in mind and will play around with some options and see if something resonates. tsi3 is on my mind, and I will give the new Mizunos every possible chance as the performance is right there. epic speed might even be a little better for me than epic max sl. sim2 is still an option, and g410/425 lst could work as well. With the right shaft I am very consistent with driver with fairly small performance differences across heads as long as I avoid higher launch and spin options. Some simply setup better and sound better.

3w: Will follow driver, I think. We didn't get to fairways in the fitting.

3i and, maybe, 4i spots are up for ongoing analysis. We did not get to this part of the bag either.

Irons: Srixon ZX7 are my choice. I ordered a 7i in my specs with an alternative shaft (MMT 105 stiff) to see how that feels. If that doesn't work, dialing in shaft may take some time. I don't want to pay $135 per shaft for the lagp's even if they did rock my world. I reserve the right to change my mind on that.

Wedges: Wedges are a strength, and that showed up when we got to this part of the bag. I just need to play what I like and make sure the gaps work. zipcores will stay for now, but some initial bending and shaft changes are likely. Hitting a range of wedges I loved the feel of the mg2 and will keep that ponder on simmer.

Putter: The hunt is on for a mallet with some toe hang for my slight arc and consistent tendency to pull putts left. Armlock will remain one of the options, but seeing my stroke more clearly and the feedback from samlab has me looking. I spent some time yesterday following up and testing putters at PGATSS. A surprising option for me might be the Axis1 rose. It worked crazy well for me, and I better understand now why it works for me. The why is important. I may give one a try. I also have a crush on a Sacks Perente mallet.

In summary: I learned. I don't take anything on the recommended lists as an absolute, but the process and experience were well worth the money.
Lots of good stuff here for sure!!!! I say go for the LAGP shafts and shuffle the remodel a bit. ;):LOL:
Serioulsy this sounds like an awesome plan for you.

Sofar, from everything I've read hear, I agree. Don't be afraid to ask for a break once in awhile, as has been mentioned it's a lot of swings. The guy you work with should take this into account, because he won't be seeing your best results. Enjoy, GB. It can be very eye opening and expensive. :thumb:

It looks like you didn't buy a new driver or shaft for the one you have. Didn't the fitter try to sell you? Or did you explain that you just wanted to try out different models and shafts? How did you leave it with him?

It looks like you didn't buy a new driver or shaft for the one you have. Didn't the fitter try to sell you? Or did you explain that you just wanted to try out different models and shafts? How did you leave it with him?

We didn't fully finish the fitting. I did get the sales pitch for the irons and considered them. I can still reach out and buy from CC.

I did get the sales pitch for the irons and considered them. I can still reach out and buy from CC.

My wife gave me a surprise driver fitting and it's on the calendar in four weeks. I'm interested in seeing the numbers and perhaps adjusting the driver. Maybe I'd consider a new shaft but am reluctant to buy an expensive new model. I wonder how long into the session the fitter will try to hand me a new model.

My wife gave me a surprise driver fitting and it's on the calendar in four weeks. I'm interested in seeing the numbers and perhaps adjusting the driver. Maybe I'd consider a new shaft but am reluctant to buy an expensive new model. I wonder how long into the session the fitter will try to hand me a new model.

Nice gift from your wife! If my experience holds, you will hit with your driver or as similar as possible to explore and pick best fit shafts. Once shaft is set, the fitter will move on to different heads, focusing on what he or she thinks will work for your swing.

Back