Full bag fitting this Saturday with Summit Golf(Nashville)

Hello from Chattanooga. This is good info, glad to know about Summit for the future.

I have a general fitting question based on the OP's story, and would be happy to hear thoughts from the OP, the fitter or anyone else.

The OP says he was using X100 shafts in his irons before. He says his swing speed is normally in the low 90's but it was as low as the high 60's on the first attempted fitting day.

That's a huge difference! That being the case, do you try to choose iron shafts that match his highest swing speed numbers or do you recommend shafts that CAN accommodate his highest speed while still being somewhat playable on his off days?

Obviously we all have good swing days and bad ones. I play "stiff" iron shafts and I know I fight against anything stronger than that even on my good days. I'd hate to see my results trying to use X flex iron shafts on a day when my swing was off.
I would say it's shaft dependant, I'm a regular flex in driver and woods with a slower swing speed but, I get along great in a F4 (stiff) Recoil 95 in my irons and wedges.

I would say it's shaft dependant, I'm a regular flex in driver and woods with a slower swing speed but, I get along great in a F4 (stiff) Recoil 95 in my irons and wedges.

That's very good to hear. I also like reg flex woods and stiff in my irons, and I have a set of Z785's with Recoil 110 F4's inbound this week. Currently playing 765's on Modus 120 Stiff shafts but my old elbow aches are back and I need to get back in some graphite iron shafts.

This was a fun read- glad you were able to meet up with Summit again and he got you dialed in. If I ever make it to Nashville again, I’ll have to check him out

Hello from Chattanooga. This is good info, glad to know about Summit for the future.

I have a general fitting question based on the OP's story, and would be happy to hear thoughts from the OP, the fitter or anyone else.

The OP says he was using X100 shafts in his irons before. He says his swing speed is normally in the low 90's but it was as low as the high 60's on the first attempted fitting day.

That's a huge difference! That being the case, do you try to choose iron shafts that match his highest swing speed numbers or do you recommend shafts that CAN accommodate his highest speed while still being somewhat playable on his off days?

Obviously we all have good swing days and bad ones. I play "stiff" iron shafts and I know I fight against anything stronger than that even on my good days. I'd hate to see my results trying to use X flex iron shafts on a day when my swing was off.
60s isn't even close and he and I both knew that wasn't going to work. I went in to the fitting informing @Summit That my swing was a wreck. He said we would work on what we could and if we needed to, we would revisit. FFW 5 or so weeks, my swing is starting to creep back in. Iron swing speed was down from 2 years ago, but I am older, and have been fighting with shoulder pain. My driver swing has previously been a high as 123 on Trackman, but now it's hovering in the low teens. Summit did a great job without being too coachy. He asked to make a few tweaks and we started seeing great ball flight, all while knowing my swing still had some work to go. He fit me to a shaft that would work for where my swing is, and where it could get with some growth. (S400'S) with a better more appropriate swing weight(from D9 to D4).

Hitting clubs in a controlled environment can bring out some different tendencies in some. Sometimes the players swing can fluctuate more than usual. I try to work with them as much as possible to see if we can stabilize things. If not, we come back at a later date. 99% of the time the golfer is much more comfortable and settled during the second visit. With Carl, I knew fairly quickly that he wasn’t performing at his typical level. By the end of the first visit I knew where his speed was and had a good idea of what direction I needed to go. When he came back for the second visit, we moved quickly into the setup I had in mind and then made some minor tweaks. Carl could play the X100s and make them work, but there was effortless power and gains with the S400 and it was clear that setup ”opened him up”.

Most of the time I see players come in using clubs that are too stiff or heavy. Flex is one part of the total equation.

Back