Full Bag Graphite - Could or Do You?

I’ve been playing graphite throughout my bag now for the previous 4 years except wedges, the last 2 years. No issues from me, was a little hesitant at first with wedges but transition was piece of cake.

For irons and wedges have played Recoils for past 2 years and before that played Aerotech Steelfibres. Both are high quality IMO. 2020 season will be my first year on a putter shaft that has some graphite in the Odyssey Ten.

As others have mentioned, the biggest cost to upgrade to new irons once you have switched to graphite, is the cost of the shaft. For this reason I am upgrading my wedges this year and bought a couple of new RTX-4 heads which I will install on my current Recoil wedges shafts. At almost $100 CAD (tax incl) each in a new Recoil shaft as the upcharge from the OEM , it gets pretty expensive when you want to upgrade to latest iron or wedge.

If I was fit into them and they performed the best? Sure! For me, it’s about performance more than looks or perception

I definitely could. Right now my irons and woods have graphite, my wedges don’t. I could play graphite in my wedges but don’t see the value in making the switch.

Definitely could and almost do. I will get graphite in the wedges this year and then will have 13.5 graphite shafts. ?

I can and do. All irons are recoil 110s and two wedges are recoil 125s. Even my putter, a stroke lab at the moment, is a Frankenstein half graphite.

But I have another set of (backup) wedges in KBS steel.

So, could you or would you, or heck DO you, play a whole bag of graphite shafts, say 13 clubs for specificity as there are putter options but not as easily accessible of ones.

Whether you do, could, or couldn’t....why?
Been doing it for 2 years! Love my Recoils.
With the advancement in Graphite shafts I would hazard to guess there is a shaft for almost every swing profile.
I am 50 and don't ever see myself playing steel shafts full time ever again.

I think so and I am getting to a point where I think I may prefer all graphite. There is just so much upside if the right profile is uncovered, but it could be an expensive experiment to find to right profile for a compete set.
If you have a Golf Galaxy near you give them a call they had a pretty extensive fitting bay and they used to do free fittings.

12 clubs are graphite in my bag and I've never been happier. Only two that still have steel are my two older wedges and when it's time to upgrade, they will for sure be going graphite. Even my putter is a Stroke Lab so it has graphite as well lol

I feel like I have way better feedback on my strikes and with the lighter shafts, I can feel the head on every club better during the swing. I highly doubt I will be going back

I do. Went to graphite in my irons this last go round, and don't see any reason to go back, since you can get just about any profile in graphite shafts, and I just like the feel better. The final step was reshafting my wedges with Recoil 95s, liked that so much I'm custom ordering my new wedges with Recoil 95s too. Just received the Cleveland CBX2 56* and RTX4 60* last week, and am ordering a CBX2 50* this week.

I would love to try them in my irons. My next set I hope I get fit into them. I assumed I would be a good fit for them anyway when I got fit for the Ultimate Titleist event. I was kind of surprised by the Project X LZ honestly, but I really like them.

Not in affordability.

True. I was not speaking to cost. Everyone has a different opinion on that, and some do it have that barrier at all. I am speaking only on performance.

Feel is another area where graphite is a bit tough. I had graphite/composite and while they performed better I didn’t like the lack of feel and feedback. I am sure there are others feel better. Just need to try some more.

I guess I say composite shafts are superior in every category that is not subjective.

Material quality
Construction
Consistency
Strength

Last edited:
True. I was not speaking to cost. Everyone has a different opinion on that, and some do it have that barrier at all. I am speaking only on performance.

Feel is another area where graphite is a bit tough. I had graphite/composite and while they performed better I didn’t like the lack of feel and feedback. I am sure there are others feel better. Just need to try some more.

I guess I say composite shafts are superior in every category that is not subjective.

Material quality
Construction
Consistency
Strength

True, but do you not think that if someone wanted to make a steel shaft and pull no punches, they couldn't make a steel shaft that would be superior in all those categories even though the price might be exorbitant?

Don't know that I will change out the putter, but already have all graphite, with the exception of 3 wedges. Plan to change them out this year.

Only my wedges are not graphite. I would like to try this year in graphite to see how they play.

True, but do you not think that if someone wanted to make a steel shaft and pull no punches, they couldn't make a steel shaft that would be superior in all those categories even though the price might be exorbitant?

No, I honestly do not think that could for one reason. Steel is a dirty impure material that is harder manipulate and build consistency out of it. Composite shafts they can build them in almost unlimited bend profiles.

These companies could build an 80 gram graphite shaft they was was stiffer than your x7 true temper shafts. They can be specific in bend profile, thickness, how stiff, each section of the shaft is. Whatever they want due to how they layer and combine materials. What orientation the fibers run, etc.

Steel does not even come close to those options.

So, could you or would you, or heck DO you, play a whole bag of graphite shafts, say 13 clubs for specificity as there are putter options but not as easily accessible of ones.

Whether you do, could, or couldn’t....why?
I already do.
Mavrik max driver,3w,HW,9w
PXG 0211 5-SW with steel fibre graphite shafts
LW is sure out 2 with graphite shaft

Putter is stroke lab

So all clubs have graphite in them?

I’m glad to see most here aren’t falling victim to the old way of thinking that graphite is inferior, too light, or would hinder their scoring.

Jman up until a THP event this past fall I was in that thought process. But I soon found out differently. My gamers were Titleist AP1’s with Kuro Kage shafts after the event I got the Ping G410’s with True Temper steel shafts. They are Almost the exact same weight. I was worried that theG410’s would be much heavier but they aren’t . I only gamed them this week for 6 rounds in Myrtle Beach but I do like the weight of them and didn’t feel like my swing was struggling at all. As a frame of reference I went to CCin early January and they set me up with Fujikura Pro2.0 95’s. I haven’t pulled the trigger on getting my Titleist irons restarted to them yet because I want to keep gaming the Ping’s for a little longer. My season has to wait a while though here in the Northeast tobe able to give them the right chance. I didbuy a High Balance shaift for my driver that they recommended and I love it and drove really well in Myrtle Beach.

Install graphite in my 3 wedges and we're good to go.

I've played Aerotech 125 in wedges and would not mind Accra Wedge shafts ... if I hadn't put Nippon Pro Modus 3 115 wedge shafts in the Mizuno MP T20. Nice shafts.

I think I could. I’m two wedges and a putter away already.

I am almost all graphite since this year. Other than my lob wedge all my clubs are graphite. It makes a difference to me. I am playing much better golf

I wouldn’t unless they were Bryson DeChambeau’s custom graphite shafts.

I do and have for about 5.5 years. Steel is no longer even a consideration for me.

I have played all graphite until a few weeks ago. I need to update my signature but right now in the bag after driver and 3 wood is a 4h with a graphite shaft, that will be changed to 5W eventually, 4-GW with Aerotech Steelfiber 110, 54* wedge with same shaft. The only thing now not graphite is my Ping Glide 3.0 60*. Mainly because I rarely full swing a LW and that is where I mostly prefer the graphite. So far, no issues from the Ping not being graphite even on the rare full or 3/4 swing.

I like the graphite better because it is easier on my body. I have short fingers, cadet ML glove, and small wrists. I can literally get a mild sprain in my wrist from pulling a heavy steel and glass door to hard and fast. When I was playing steel shafted irons, I would get the occasional mild wrist sprain from a poor swing and my hands would often ache for a couple days after a bucket of balls on the range. I do not have these issues with graphite clubs.

Back