Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
I had a different experience yesterday. I went out as a single. There was a dad and a 10 year old boy waiting at the tee box. The dad told me that it would be the first time out for the boy (selfishly, I cringed inside, thinking it would be a frustrating round). We kept waiting for the 4th player to show up. Finally, two women drove up in a cart with only one bag of clubs. The younger woman apologized and said that she was the 4th. By then the three of us already there had teed off. She asked what tees we had used. I told her that the two of us had teed off from the back tees and that the boy had teed off from her tees (what a stupid thing to say, lol). She politely said, “No, I am playing these tees,” meaning the back tees. She hit her tee ball, missed it ever so slightly, but her swing was gorgeous. She did not miss another one the rest of the round.

By the second hole, I could tell that she was a player. Her swing was as technically sound and athletic as any swing I have seen in person. If I am honest, she and I were neck and neck distance-wise with driver, but she was more consistent, the same old, boring baby draw. It was really fun to watch. When we pulled up to the third hole tee box, I said to her, “What causes you to abandon the LPGA tour stop to come and play Davis Park (my home course) on a Friday afternoon?” I was saying it tongue in cheek, but her response was, “I got tired of the tour life and have decided to get back to normality.”

I won’t disclose her name here, but I Googled it when I got home and sure enough, she was a fringe ladies’ tour player. It looked like she probably was struggling to stay on the LPGA tour, so she would not have been making any money. I could see how she would have decided to hang it up after making golf her life for 20 years (she started playing at 10 years old and is now 30).

I asked her how she compared to other women players on tour in terms of length. She said that she was on the shorter side. That amazed me, to be honest.

Anyway, it was a fun, frustrating round. The little boy should not have been on a course yet. He would often take three or four swings before he would even make contact with the ball and then would hit driver again up the fairway, without teeing it up. His dad was giving him no guidance. I was also thinking that he was the same age as the young woman when she started. The other woman in the cart happened to be her mom. The mom said that there are two children, this young woman and a son. The son also started playing golf at the same time, but gave it up when the young woman, his sister started kicking his rear end and the coach said that he should watch and try to mirror his sister’s swing. Like we read all the time and realize from observation, some of the players out there simply have a gift that the rest of us don’t have. This young woman would kick my rear end every day of the week. It is not even close.

I had a different experience yesterday. I went out as a single. There was a dad and a 10 year old boy waiting at the tee box. The dad told me that it would be the first time out for the boy (selfishly, I cringed inside, thinking it would be a frustrating round). We kept waiting for the 4th player to show up. Finally, two women drove up in a cart with only one bag of clubs. The younger woman apologized and said that she was the 4th. By then the three of us already there had teed off. She asked what tees we had used. I told her that the two of us had teed off from the back tees and that the boy had teed off from her tees (what a stupid thing to say, lol). She politely said, “No, I am playing these tees,” meaning the back tees. She hit her tee ball, missed it ever so slightly, but her swing was gorgeous. She did not miss another one the rest of the round.

By the second hole, I could tell that she was a player. Her swing was as technically sound and athletic as any swing I have seen in person. If I am honest, she and I were neck and neck distance-wise with driver, but she was more consistent, the same old, boring baby draw. It was really fun to watch. When we pulled up to the third hole tee box, I said to her, “What causes you to abandon the LPGA tour stop to come and play Davis Park (my home course) on a Friday afternoon?” I was saying it tongue in cheek, but her response was, “I got tired of the tour life and have decided to get back to normality.”

I won’t disclose her name here, but I Googled it when I got home and sure enough, she was a fringe ladies’ tour player. It looked like she probably was struggling to stay on the LPGA tour, so she would not have been making any money. I could see how she would have decided to hang it up after making golf her life for 20 years (she started playing at 10 years old and is now 30).

I asked her how she compared to other women players on tour in terms of length. She said that she was on the shorter side. That amazed me, to be honest.

Anyway, it was a fun, frustrating round. The little boy should not have been on a course yet. He would often take three or four swings before he would even make contact with the ball and then would hit driver again up the fairway, without teeing it up. His dad was giving him no guidance. I was also thinking that he was the same age as the young woman when she started. The other woman in the cart happened to be her mom. The mom said that there are two children, this young woman and a son. The son also started playing golf at the same time, but gave it up when the young woman, his sister started kicking his rear end and the coach said that he should watch and try to mirror his sister’s swing. Like we read all the time and realize from observation, some of the players out there simply have a gift that the rest of us don’t have. This young woman would kick my rear end every day of the week. It is not even close.
That’s crazy and these types of things really only happen on the golf course. Funny how a little joke turned out to be more true than anything else! I hope she taught you a thing or two

It's fun to go out as a single sometimes. You never know who you might meet and maybe even make a lifelong friend. I got paired up with a couple of ladies one time and knew right from the first tee that one of them was a very good player. She stepped up to the middle tee and crushed a beautiful drive right down the middle and then stuck her approach shot to 10 feet and it was like that the whole round. Turned out she was a teaching pro that had just moved into town and was looking for a course to work at.

that sounds like a good time...i enjoy watching good players play the game.

That is an awesome story. Would have been fun to watch and learn from for sure.
I have met some long term friends that I still golf with from going out as a single, it can be a blessing at times.

That's pretty cool. I always enjoy watching a skilled golfer in person. Sounds like a fun round!

I like playing with better golfers. The better they are, the more I like it.

I've been fortunate enough to play with a few professionals over the years. Mostly in local charity events. What a treat it was.

I had a similar experience a couple of months back. A young lady showed up to play at my course with her father in tow. She was scoping it out for an upcoming high school tournament. She had to quit on hole 15 to go home and do homework, but was about 3 to 4 under par at that point from the men's tees (playing about 6300). Come to find out she is a top 3 amateur and will be playing at Stanford next year. Maybe weighed about 120 lbs but hit the ball about 250 to 260 consistently. Fun to watch! And very humbling! :D

My home course is used by the local college golf team. Some of the ladies are ridiculously good. Watching them on the range and on the course is a wonder. Our assistant pro is a former LPGA tour player as well. She is better than most, if not all, of our male members.

Very cool.

Another member here plays pretty regularly with an active LPGA player. He says she plays an entirely different game than he and I play, lol.

Nice story!

Sounds like a great day on the course! And you’re right - some people just have natural athleticism.

Sounds like a great day on the course! And you’re right - some people just have natural athleticism.

Says the man who showed everybody at the Small Batch event...

Says the man who showed everybody at the Small Batch event...
Haha... fair play. The hockey event definitely helped me there.

Sounds like the initial cringe turned into an enjoyable day! I've played with some single digits, but never with a pro (man or woman). It would be fun to see their game up close, even as they were wiping the floor with me. :LOL:

Just out of curiosity did she offer any advice to either the father or the boy?

Back