Fun With Data: What would you pick?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Decided to try and stir some conversation today, so I hit a few irons I have kicking around, saved the data, and am going to present it to you for, hopefully, some fun convo.

So, which do you like more, why?

Some parameters:
1) I'm not revealing the iron number yet. Maybe later. Make guesses if you want, its all fun.
2) Yes, I'm a lower spin guy, that's my nature. This is for fun, don't be a jerk about it. ;)
3) 4 iron sets, one unique, two similar, one a bit of a tweener.
4) THREE of these have the SAME shafts in them.

So, without further ado.....

Iron 1
IRON1%20%28M%29-M.png

Iron 2
IRON2%20%28K%29-M.png

Iron 3
IRON3%20%28C%29-M.png

Iron 4
IRON4%20%28N%29-M.png

I’d guess at a 6 iron BTW ;)

Iron 1 is my choice - the standard deviation / range on the carry and dynamic loft is TIGHT! (y)

Irons 2-4 look good to me... club speed to me means a lot... especially when I'm looking at triple digit numbers knowing they're a good 40mph faster than i can swing.

Iron 1 looks like the odd man out so I'd say it had the different shaft. I'm probably wrong on that

I'm guessing 6 iron.

Eliminate 3 and 4. Too many with spin under 5k and lowest 2 launches.

Of 1 and 2, 2 has better ball speed. I'm leaning towards 2, but the higher launch of 1 has my eye for you.

Im going with 2.

maybe 2?

All seem pretty close, would go with the one that looked the best.

Irons 2-4 look good to me... club speed to me means a lot... especially when I'm looking at triple digit numbers knowing they're a good 40mph faster than i can swing.

Iron 1 looks like the odd man out so I'd say it had the different shaft. I'm probably wrong on that
I think that the first column is ball speed Scorp...
Otherwise that is one hell of an arm with an iron. :)

I'll take any of them. You are obviously a great ball striker! Holy consistency Batman. Well done. That being said, I'm taking #3

• Staff

You are off on that, haha.

It does have the most different profile though.

I liked iron 4 the most? Launch was good, spin was probably around what you're used to, but the descent angle wasn't too steep where it would likely also be killed by the wind? The ball speed was one of the higher averages too, which was nice.

Is the highlighted column peak?

1586380077416.png

I'm guessing 6 iron.

Eliminate 3 and 4. Too many with spin under 5k and lowest 2 launches.

Of 1 and 2, 2 has better ball speed. I'm leaning towards 2, but the higher launch of 1 has my eye for you.

Im going with 2.
Again. I’m a low spinner by nature. ;)

Still tossing them with decent still in the 46 realm?

Not a 6i ;)

I'd go iron 2. Launch angles are tight. Distance disparity is really good and it has almost the steepest decent angle which will help soften the need for more spin. Oh and of the bunch, it had the highest average spin with only 1 shot less than 5100 RPM.

I am guessing from the distance and your swing speed comparing it to what I hit more like an 7 iron. I would say 8 iron but the spin has to be higher for an 8.

I'd go iron 2. Launch angles are tight. Distance disparity is really good and it has almost the steepest decent angle which will help soften the need for more spin. Oh and of the bunch, it had the highest average spin with only 1 shot less than 5100 RPM.

I am guessing from the distance and your swing speed comparing it to what I hit more like an 7 iron. I would say 8 iron but the spin has to be higher for an 8.
:unsure::unsure::unsure:

;)

Again. I’m a low spinner by nature. ;)

Still tossing them with decent still in the 46 realm?

Not a 6i ;)

The improved ballspeed is giving you the steeper descent angle, I'm more concerned about you coming out hot from fiery lies.

3 is one I could have a debate on but 4 I'm very concerned about the number of them spinning at 4500.

If it's not a 6 iron then it's a 7 iron. In that case I would definitely be between 1 and 2.

I think you can play good golf with all of these if you know what you are doing, but I like the spin protection of 1 and 2.

Scratch this. Starting over. I got the data mixed up.

Last edited:
I really like the shot to shot consistency of Iron #1. So good I'm thinking you might have a swing robot stashed somewhere at the THP Oklahoma R&D Complex. I'd need to see which set had the tightest overall dispersion oval, but I'd bet #1 has that too.

I think iron #2 is the winner and it’s either a PW or not a full swing 9 iron.

OK final answer. I would ask what ball are you hitting here?

1586381030552.png

After looking at them again. I like this one for the following reasons.

1. Not your highest but close to your highest ball speeds. They also seem the most consistent.
2. Your launch is the highest here. Again, with your low spin characteristics, that is your friend.
3. other than that 4619 messing up your average the spin is close to the highest as well.
4. Total distance is strong. Only a couple yards off the best.
5. As with your launch, the decent angle is strong here as well. That will help with shots into the green.

There is more info I would like to have. For example right left dispersion but based on this. This is the winner.

We are not done yet sir.

Iron 1 for me. It’s consistent. I’m guessing a 6 iron based on you saying your spin rate is low and distance plus height.

I’m pretty sure no club speed is shown , only ball speed.

OK final answer. I would ask what ball are you hitting here?

View attachment 8936391

After looking at them again. I like this one for the following reasons.

1. Not your highest but close to your highest ball speeds. They also seem the most consistent.
2. Your launch is the highest here. Again, with your low spin characteristics, that is your friend.
3. other than that 4619 messing up your average the spin is close to the highest as well.
4. Total distance is strong. Only a couple yards off the best.
5. As with your launch, the decent angle is strong here as well. That will help with shots into the green.

There is more info I would like to have. For example right left dispersion but based on this. This is the winner.

We are not done yet sir.
7-9 L average on all.

James crushing 7 irons.

Back