Fun With Data: What would you pick?

Wow you are low spin. Maybe I need to try the RX and RXS if they cut that much spin for you.....
Keep in mind, I sort of set you all up for this as well. A lot of effort went into getting THESE sample sets. ;)

If I can move tomorrow, which with as many swings as I took today is highly unlikely hahaha, I’ll see.

For those reading at home....

1) Miura CB 1008 8i w/ Elevate X100
2) KZG tri Tour 8i w/ KBS Tour
3) Callaway Apex Pro 8i w/ Elevate X100
4) New Level 902 Forged 8i w/ Elevate X100
5) Cobra Forged Tec 8i w/ Recoil 110 F5

Ball used on screen caps was RX, in order to get you all lower spin numbers to make it even more confusing. :p(y)

I called the KZG Tri Tour for #2 a few posts back!! Boom!

I say you re-do it and take another 1,000 swings with the XS instead 😂 Then we can pick a winner!!

Kind of funny James. When I first joined THP 4 years ago, I was the same... very low launch, low spin, but tons of ball speed. I posted up a few pics of me hitting 7 irons 200 carry, which isn't unheard of when you're launching it 15-16*, 135 ball speed and sub 5k spin. For some reason now I'm the opposite and find myself using balls that generate less spin. Complete role reversal.

Some of the smaller headed irons I've tried lately it's not unheard of for me to see 7.5-8k spin with a 7i.

I called the KZGTribTour for #2 a few posts back!! Boom!

I say you re-do it and take another 1,000 swings with the XS instead 😂 Then we can pick a winner!!
Hahahaha, I think I’ll try to do just that, but it might not be until Friday, haha

If the full set of pros were polished chrome. I’d have some.

Aren't they? I thought the Forged were Satin and Pro Chrome, unless u 8 iron beasts are talking something I don't understand again. :)

Kind of funny James. When I first joined THP 4 years ago, I was the same... very low launch, low spin, but tons of ball speed. I posted up a few pics of me hitting 7 irons 200 carry, which isn't unheard of when you're launching it 15-16*, 135 ball speed and sub 5k spin. For some reason now I'm the opposite and find myself using balls that generate less spin. Complete role reversal.

Some of the smaller headed irons I've tried lately it's not unheard of for me to see 7.5-8k spin with a 7i.
It’s an annual thing for me every year haha, come out of winter, have to fix it all again, then start coaching and stop playing in the fall/winter again, rinse and repeat.

I’ll have it all fixed again, but, lord it’s tiring. Hopefully having an indoor now will prevent the rust next year.

Aren't they? I thought the Forged were Satin and Pro Chrome, unless u 8 iron beasts are talking something I don't understand again. :)
Ugh. That was supposed to say WERENT, fat fingers lol

I’ve read this all, and I don’t think I understand the numbers well enough to make a fully educated decision. I mean, they all look pretty good from where I’m sitting.

I'd like to see all those now with the BX, so you got a comparison between the two new Bridgestone X balls (BRX and BX) regarding spin and carry with an 8 iron.

Nice Thread @Jman Kinda gets a golfer thinking in a time of "Numbness"
I would have guess there was a #Loftpeeper in there however obviously there isn't and I would have guess a 7i if it wasn't revealed already.

Hope you do more of these (Fairway woods) if your body allows you.

Last edited:
#3 because it’s the lowest spinning for you haha. All look close enough performance wise though that I would honestly pick the one I like the look of the best. Interested to see what they are given how close they all perform if they are that different of styles.

Nice Thread @Jman Kinda gets a golfer thinking in a time of "Numbness"
I would have guess there was a #Loftpeeper in there however obviously there isn't and I would have guess a 7i if it wasn't reveled already.

Hope you do more of these (Fairway woods) if your body allows you.
Keep reading to the end of the thread ;)

I'd go iron 2. Launch angles are tight. Distance disparity is really good and it has almost the steepest decent angle which will help soften the need for more spin. Oh and of the bunch, it had the highest average spin with only 1 shot less than 5100 RPM.

I am guessing from the distance and your swing speed comparing it to what I hit more like an 7 iron. I would say 8 iron but the spin has to be higher for an 8.
This was too be my reason for number two as well.

I'd lean towards 1 based on high launch. Get that 170 to land softly on the green sounds nice. :golf3:

and my guess is a 7i as well, unless youve been working out and smoking 8's. (or could be that aggressive loft)

I'd like to see all those now with the BX, so you got a comparison between the two new Bridgestone X balls (BRX and BX) regarding spin and carry with an 8 iron.
That will happen, I he comparison of those golf balls, in the Tour B thread once I knock off the sore. Yesterday I posted all of that data with a soft 54 to start out ;)

Iron 2 for consistency and performance. The ball speed and spin are some of the best if you remove the oddball. Also distance and Alex are nice seems like no brainer if you can live with lower launch.

Iron 2 for consistency and performance. The ball speed and spin are some of the best if you remove the oddball. Also distance and Alex are nice seems like no brainer if you can live with lower launch.
Apex is more important than launch imo. ;)

Remember though, as shown later in the thread, a ball change would mean at least 800 more RPM too.

I rigged this whole thing folks. :p

Back