Future of Product Testing on THP

I think you read hi spost wrong. He is saying that if the staffers are ok with getting rid of the equipment. Not if they liked it or not

Nah, I did read it right. I would think that though. If a staffer didn't want to keep gaming the equipment, I would think they didn't like it.

I'm somebody who originally came here for forum testing. I stuck around, and I have been blessed enough to test a product for THP. But I've seen now that this site is about so much more. I've only been here for 4+ months, but I can tell you that I won't leave, forum testing or no forum testing.

I would love to see a group of forum testers created that are all trusted, veteran members of THP who have proven themselves in the past. I have a few in mind when I say that, and I think they know who they are. They are the kinds of people who would talk to JB immediately if something was not right. No matter what happens, I'm positive JB and GG will make the best decision for them and for their buisness like they always have in the past. I will be happy no matter what happens, and I know many others of you will.

Nah, I did read it right. I would think that though. If a staffer didn't want to keep gaming the equipment, I would think they didn't like it.

Sort of off-topic, but that's not always the case. Often times I test something I like quite a bit, but I have another club that just works a little better for my game.

Sort of off-topic, but that's not always the case. Often times I test something I like quite a bit, but I have another club that just works a little better for my game.

I didn't think of it that way. Thanks, Hawk

Sometimes when your bag is in a constant state of flux you cling to certain clubs hehe.

I also think there's some crazy stereotypes that go on. I mean, I am a shaft tester, which is cool, but it's very hard work and imo, one of the hardest things to review.

I would think there are a few that feel like "the same old people" get selected all the time and it's just not the case. I've been here for over 2 years and have tested three things: Burner 2.0 irons, a Mashie (which didn't work for me and I made JB aware of that), and now the R11 irons. I have over 30,000 posts. I'd like to think I've earned those opportunities. A lot of the testing opportunities aren't even available to me and I still support those who test other things.

I just wanted to throw some perspective out there. I don't know why exactly. Just felt like I should.

Sometimes when your bag is in a constant state of flux you cling to certain clubs hehe.

I don't think I could do what the staffers do and keep a decent golf game. I have to have some consistency in my bag to keep my game on point. I thank all of the THP staffers for what they do for us.

I think I would miss forum testing at first, but I would personally still look at the awesome reviews by the staff. I would worry that the review banter would decrease with out THP forum reviews and just staffer reviews. Not that I don't like talking to THP staffers about clubs, I consider all of them my friends and have great conversions with them. I think there are so many other great members on here that keep the forum reviewers on point and hp elcreate some of this banter.

All in all the companies love the hype and interest about their clubs or product. That is why they provide awesome equipment for the forum reviews. If they are not going to get noticed and make some sales from it. They will move on to some where that they can. It is not pretty, but true.

I also think there's some crazy stereotypes that go on. I mean, I am a shaft tester, which is cool, but it's very hard work and imo, one of the hardest things to review.

I would think there are a few that feel like "the same old people" get selected all the time and it's just not the case. I've been here for over 2 years and have tested three things: Burner 2.0 irons, a Mashie (which didn't work for me and I made JB aware of that), and now the R11 irons. I have over 30,000 posts. I'd like to think I've earned those opportunities. A lot of the testing opportunities aren't even available to me and I still support those who test other things.

I just wanted to throw some perspective out there. I don't know why exactly. Just felt like I should.

That's very well put TC. You are one of the most valuable members of the forum, and you support everything that goes on here. You have earned the privaledge to test anything that is being put out there to test, but you are seemingly happy even if you aren't chosen and a new guy is. People need to take that kind of attitude to heart, myself included. Thanks for putting that up.

I don't think I could do what the staffers do and keep a decent golf game. I have to have some consistency in my bag to keep my game on point. I thank all of the THP staffers for what they do for us.

I think I would miss forum testing at first, but I would personally still look at the awesome reviews by the staff. I would worry that the review banter would decrease with out THP forum reviews and just staffer reviews. Not that I don't like talking to THP staffers about clubs, I consider all of them my friends and have great conversions with them. I think there are so many other great members on here that keep the forum reviewers on point and hp elcreate some of this banter.

All in all the companies love the hype and interest about their clubs or product. That is why they provide awesome equipment for the forum reviews. If they are not going to get noticed and make some sales from it. They will move on to some where that they can. It is not pretty, but true.

I like it too, dmb. It's a really valuable thing to have.

This thread is frustrating, but imagine how frustrating it is for THP to think they have some rock solid testers lined up and ultimately one of them fall short of their expectations in some fashion. These companies really look at the forum testing as a very big way for them to get the word out about a product. I don't speak to many companies but the few that I have all say they love forum testing. The companies don't want it to go away anymore than any of us want it to go away. The feedback they get from good testers is just too valuable and when people google search their new product and a forum testing from THP comes up as one of the top results these people searching out information come to THP and read posts upon posts that hopefully answer every question they could possibly have about the product. Hopefully a lot of these same people searching out that info end up joining THP so really it's a win/win/win for the companies, for THP and for the members who get to test equipment.

I definitely think the testers deserve to keep the equipment they're reviewing provided they live up to their end of the deal, testing is work and you constantly have that obligation to test and come back with feedback. Getting to bag the equipment permanently if it really works for you is a great thing and everyone agrees that it's worth the time and commitment in the end. An answer to fix everything? I don't know, I don't really have one. I hope there is a way to eliminate the problems that do come up because there is a lot more to forum testing than many of us even realize and it is a really good thing for a lot of people.

Well said, I think you are correct that there is a feeling that the same people get chosen again and again to test equipment and that is not the case. There have been some repeat testers, but as TC said he has 30,000 posts and has tested 3 things! Personally I have 12,000 posts and have tested one product for THP and I feel lucky that I was able to test those irons.

I have no idea what the solution to this problem is, I just know I'm sick and tired of watching equipment go missing when JB and GG work so hard to have this opportunity for their forum members.

Even after the the example threads, the more detailed testing expectations & requirements, it is disheartening to see this is still a problem. While I don't have a better idea than anyone else so far, I'll throw in an idea. What if the expectation was set that the forum would be made aware if anyone was unresponsive to one or more PMs from GG / JB regarding their lack of testing update? I know its pretty easy for the everyday followers to figure out who is slacking, but I wonder if a more direct approach would guilt or shame people into continuing to update?

With making the THP Outing field so large, what if forum testing only consisted of members who have been to a previous or committed to a future outing / official event? I would find it almost impossible to imagine a member ditching their responsibilities after meeting the THP staff in person, participating in events, etc. Again, just an idea from someone who hasn't been or is not committed to a THP event yet.

Even after the the example threads, the more detailed testing expectations & requirements, it is disheartening to see this is still a problem. While I don't have a better idea than anyone else so far, I'll throw in an idea. What if the expectation was set that the forum would be made aware if anyone was unresponsive to one or more PMs from GG / JB regarding their lack of testing update? I know its pretty easy for the everyday followers to figure out who is slacking, but I wonder if a more direct approach would guilt or shame people into continuing to update?

With making the THP Outing field so large, what if forum testing only consisted of members who have been to a previous or committed to a future outing / official event? I would find it almost impossible to imagine a member ditching their responsibilities after meeting the THP staff in person, participating in events, etc. Again, just an idea from someone who hasn't been or is not committed to a THP event yet.

Money issues. Work issues. Many people simply can't make those commitments even though they want to. That would be very unfair.

Interesting take on things.

Money issues. Work issues. Many people simply can't make those commitments even though they want to. That would be very unfair.

While that may be the case, testing is not a right, but a privilege. I believe that those that support THP in many ways deserve a shot at testing equipment and I think we have proven that time and time again. However I also believe meeting someone face to face gives you a better idea of who a person is. Is it flawless? No. But supporting this site through many ways is never overlooked or forgotten.

I'm new here, and haven't really seen the tester selection process in action. That said, what if someone who has never been selected as a tester before had to pick an item currently in their bag, and provide a semi-long term set of reviews of that item to an existing staff member in PM format before being approved to test the item. Essentially it would be a vetting process for a first time tester. For example, give a 3 week review of ball X. Also, could be added to the tester selection process in the case a first time reviewer doesn't pass the vetting process. Seems like that would help ensure testers are serious about testing. Also, you could limit high dollar test items to previously selected reviewers. Not saying that lower cost items aren't important, just less of an issue if they go missing. :)

Anyway just a thought. Also, sorry if this was already suggested...its a pretty long thread and I didn't have time to read the entirety of it.

While that may be the case, testing is not a right, but a privilege. I believe that those that support THP in many ways deserve a shot at testing equipment and I think we have proven that time and time again. However I also believe meeting someone face to face gives you a better idea of who a person is. Is it flawless? No. But supporting this site through many ways is never overlooked or forgotten.

I agree completely, but can one not support THP wothout spending a bunch of money that they can't really afford or skipping out on crucial times at work? I believe there are many ways to do it, though I do agree that spending time with THP staff and/or attending a THP sanctioned event is a huge way of doing so.

Also, could be added to the tester selection process in the case a first time reviewer doesn't pass the vetting process.

Also, <alternates> could be added to the tester selection process in the case a first time reviewer doesn't pass the vetting process.

I'm new here, and haven't really seen the tester selection process in action. That said, what if someone who has never been selected as a tester before had to pick an item currently in their bag, and provide a semi-long term set of reviews of that item to an existing staff member in PM format before being approved to test the item. Essentially it would be a vetting process for a first time tester. For example, give a 3 week review of ball X. Also, could be added to the tester selection process in the case a first time reviewer doesn't pass the vetting process. Seems like that would help ensure testers are serious about testing. Also, you could limit high dollar test items to previously selected reviewers. Not saying that lower cost items aren't important, just less of an issue if they go missing. :)

Anyway just a thought. Also, sorry if this was already suggested...its a pretty long thread and I didn't have time to read the entirety of it.

Thanks for the perspective from a new voice. I appreciate it.

I agree completely, but can one not support THP wothout spending a bunch of money that they can't really afford or skipping out on crucial times at work? I believe there are many ways to do it, though I do agree that spending time with THP staff and/or attending a THP sanctioned event is a huge way of doing so.

Of course and nobody would say otherwise based on our selections. However at the same time, something is broken and if someone is going to say that "its not fair to only pick testers that come to THP Outings, support the site, etc etc" then they should have other suggestions because right now its broken and needs to be fixed. The fact is again, that getting free stuff to test is wonderful and we want to continue it. However of all the testings we have done, we have never had something up and vanish from someone that has been to an outing. Never. We have had delays and things from people that have been, but never a vanishing act. Is it a coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. But meeting someone face to face can bring new light to those elements.

Im not saying it will be that way, or even should be that way, but I do think its an interesting idea.

Thanks for the perspective from a new voice. I appreciate it.

Of course and nobody would say otherwise based on our selections. However at the same time, something is broken and if someone is going to say that "its not fair to only pick testers that come to THP Outings, support the site, etc etc" then they should have other suggestions because right now its broken and needs to be fixed. The fact is again, that getting free stuff to test is wonderful and we want to continue it. However of all the testings we have done, we have never had something up and vanish from someone that has been to an outing. Never. We have had delays and things from people that have been, but never a vanishing act. Is it a coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. But meeting someone face to face can bring new light to those elements.

Im not saying it will be that way, or even should be that way, but I do think its an interesting idea.

Yup. I'm on your side. I'll support whatever you guys choose to do with this problem. It is intriguing to think about as a possibility though, and possibly a very good solution.

It is a fine line to walk, how to be inclusive, accepting and still hold people to standards of behavior. I also agree that a F2F creates a deeper connection, I find this to be true even with things like Skype/FaceTime/GChat. Would some sort of vetting interview be possible? Maybe split amongst moderators? Highly thought of testers who are willing? Nothing too draconian.

Not exactly sure how that would work or if that creates extra burden, but just throwing it against the wall to see if it sticks.

JB, you know that I( and 99% of the forum members) will stand behind whatever decision you and GG make, because we know that it's what's best for THP and the two of you.

With that said, I know that it's been mentioned before, but would be wrong with having a one page "testing agreement" that lays out the expectations and has a blank for a credit card number and spells out that if expectations aren't met that the cost of the test item will be charged to the card?

I don't know about the logistics of doing it, but I would have no issues with providing my information. Or maybe if you don't want to include the credit card the agreement could just have spaces to list names and phone numbers of family to contact "in case of emergency"?

Just my $.02 worth.

JB, you know that I( and 99% of the forum members) will stand behind whatever decision you and GG make, because we know that it's what's best for THP and the two of you.

With that said, I know that it's been mentioned before, but would be wrong with having a one page "testing agreement" that lays out the expectations and has a blank for a credit card number and spells out that if expectations aren't met that the cost of the test item will be charged to the card?

I don't know about the logistics of doing it, but I would have no issues with providing my information. Or maybe if you don't want to include the credit card the agreement could just have spaces to list names and phone numbers of family to contact "in case of emergency"?

Just my $.02 worth.

once you bring in credit cards into the loop, it could get uglier. If so, then the expectations for a tester would have to be clearly laid out so that there is no question at all that someone is not meeting them before you go and charge someone's credit card (it will basically need to be a contract)....just could open up a bigger mess than its worth, hopefully there are other ways to solve some of these issues

once you bring in credit cards into the loop, it could get uglier. If so, then the expectations for a tester would have to be clearly laid out so that there is no question at all that someone is not meeting them before you go and charge someone's credit card (it will basically need to be a contract)....just could open up a bigger mess than its worth, hopefully there are other ways to solve some of these issues

Yeah, like I saiid I wasn't sure about the logistics.

But what about just the form listing at least three contact people or something?? I mean I know that someone could lie on the form, but I have a hard time believing that someone would go into a testing planning on stealing the equipment. I think things just get in the way and before you know it weeks have gone by.....if there were phone numbers available, a staffer could call them up with a gentle reminder of their obligations to the forum.

Like I said, just thinking out loud.

I came upon this forum by googling, golf reviews. I like to read post about other peoples opinion's. I have my own.
I would not be offended. I don't post. I read.
I don't know why you would feel bad. The people were chosen on your criteria. We are all adults.
Looking forward to next review. It's been a pleasure.
Thank you, for your time.

Yeah, like I saiid I wasn't sure about the logistics.

But what about just the form listing at least three contact people or something?? I mean I know that someone could lie on the form, but I have a hard time believing that someone would go into a testing planning on stealing the equipment. I think things just get in the way and before you know it weeks have gone by.....if there were phone numbers available, a staffer could call them up with a gentle reminder of their obligations to the forum.

Like I said, just thinking out loud.

well in reality most of that stuff can be found on the internet for free or next to nothing, so a real thief could probably care less

Back