Future of Product Testing on THP

I have read most of the posts here and am still disgusted THP HQ has to deal with constantly. OneT has made some great suggestions as have others. I think people forget this forum is educating and entertaining from most members platform. However it is a business from JB and GG's as well as the staffers. If it takes scaling the volunteer testers by number of posts to test accessories i.e. Balls or gloves then maybe that is one way for members to earn credibility. I think the major equipment should stay in the hands of staffers while a program is refined. This may have been suggested as I have not gone thru entire post. I also like idea of a deposit on items at certain price points. Just a few initial thoughts. More to follow I am sure.

TapAhoy!

While I understand your point, I'm not sure that's the whole story. I won't deny that my activity level in general leaves a lot to be desired but that is what it is. While I might not be that active in the review threads, as I said above, I love reading them. Why shouldn't I be allowed to be upset when people are taking advantage of the amazing opportunities that THP is offering?

I never said it was the whole story. Secondly, noone ever said you couldn't be upset. My point is, its not only the reviewers that have make the threads what they are. While the point of this thread being brought up again is based on the reviewers activity, I also wanted to mention it takes two to tango. Not only are the reviewers looked at but the activity in the review threads in general I bet is looked at as well. I want to mention this because it's hard for the reviewers that are really active at times. Especially when people have these questions and arent asking, or have these comments and arent making them. How is anyone supposed to know you like something or are reading it if you don't leave a comment?

I just want to comment that I like TMod

I never said it was the whole story. Secondly, noone ever said you couldn't be upset. My point is, its not only the reviewers that have make the threads what they are. While the point of this thread being brought up again is based on the reviewers activity, I also wanted to mention it takes two to tango. Not only are the reviewers looked at but the activity in the review threads in general I bet is looked at as well. I want to mention this because it's hard for the reviewers that are really active at times. Especially when people have these questions and arent asking, or have these comments and arent making them. How is anyone supposed to know you like something or are reading it if you don't leave a comment?

I'm not disagreeing with you yoccos. I agree that feedback from non-testers makes everything better and it's definitely important. If i have a question in these threads I'll ask it but TBH I'm new to this place and golf in general so I don't always have any feedback or insight. sometimes I feel like me saying "hey great post" isn't really contributing much. Especially when it's 2-3 weeks after the post. So i say nothing. wrong? right? I don't know. I'm sure the testers get frustrated when they spend so much time on feedback and don't see any response/reaction from non-testers. Maybe they appreciate someone telling them that they appreciate their feedback more than i realize?

I only commented on your post because to me it seemed to imply that you get angry if people that aren't consistently providing commentary in testing threads have a problem with people taking advantage of these great opportunities. Since I know i don't post that much, I took that as you getting upset that it bothers me when people don't live up to their testing responsibilities. Sorry if i misunderstood anything and, like i said, i get your point.

I just found this thread and wanted to add a thought or two.

First, the forum is great and you guys do an amazing job.

Second, there is some human nature at play here. People will wonder "Why not me?" and get frustrated when they see others picked multiple times. The idea about returning equipment may address this because it changes the nature of the game from winning something to truly providing a service to the forum (I suspect signups may drop off though), as could a little more transparency in explaining how the testers are chosen (people should trust more but in lieu of that a little knowledge can go a long way).

Lastly, on a different but related topic, I've often thought it would be helpful if you guys defined when the responsibility of testing officially ends.

Second, there is some human nature at play here. People will wonder "Why not me?" and get frustrated when they see others picked multiple times. The idea about returning equipment may address this because it changes the nature of the game from winning something to truly providing a service to the forum (I suspect signups may drop off though), as could a little more transparency in explaining how the testers are chosen (people should trust more but in lieu of that a little knowledge can go a long way).

Lastly, on a different but related topic, I've often thought it would be helpful if you guys defined when the responsibility of testing officially ends.

Testing is usually 2 months.

Testing is usually 2 months.

False. To my knowledge each is a case by case basis. The RBZ irons testing lasted for 5 months or so.

There is always a post made within the testing thread saying when it has concluded officially but that updates are still welcomed. The length varies form testing to testing.

We have always said how testers are chosen. Those that we consider active on the forum will be chosen for testing. Activity comes in all types of course, but it is loosely defined based on activity. Then of course certain things it will depend on the questions asked. For instance if we have regular shafts to test and half the people put that they play stiff, we would not choose them as part of that testing.

Then all things equal, if I am the sole person deciding (and I am usually not) if there are two qualified candidates and one is an Albatross Member and another one is not, the Albatross Member will get chosen. Now this has not come into play as of yet, but if it did, that would be my choice.

The testing setup will change slightly at the beginning of 2013 and will have another rule added.
And yes, testing lasts 60-90 days unless otherwise noted.

That makes a lot of sense JB, even in the KBS tour 90 testing for example, it makes sense that someone who was not recommended the Tour 90 shafts on their online fitting would not get chosen to test them because it wouldn't be the best shaft for their game but someone who would benefit from the tour 90 shaft would be better as a tester since it could complement their game if that makes any sense

We have always said how testers are chosen. Those that we consider active on the forum will be chosen for testing. Activity comes in all types of course, but it is loosely defined based on activity. Then of course certain things it will depend on the questions asked. For instance if we have regular shafts to test and half the people put that they play stiff, we would not choose them as part of that testing.

Then all things equal, if I am the sole person deciding (and I am usually not) if there are two qualified candidates and one is an Albatross Member and another one is not, the Albatross Member will get chosen. Now this has not come into play as of yet, but if it did, that would be my choice.

The testing setup will change slightly at the beginning of 2013 and will have another rule added.
And yes, testing lasts 60-90 days unless otherwise noted.

I think it's a good thing that you bring up the Albatross Club, and mention that it could be used as a 'tiebreaker'. That's also eminently fair, IMO, but good to acknowledge publicly so there is no confusion about it.

For my part, I'm still relatively new here and try to help or contribute when I can, and have thrown my name in to test once or twice, but also will only be doing that when it's a product I honestly think I can test knowledgeably and at a time when I can devote the effort. Anyone that has tested product and written about it before can attest to how much work it can be. Rewarding, yes, but difficult, too, and I would say the forum-testing format is more time-consuming because it's interactive and you have to check back very regularly to answer questions from the people reading the thread. Better process overall than a typical one-sided conversation, but more effort to be sure.

Re: activity, and this has come up before and I wanted to comment: there's no doubt that has to be a key component in the selection process - someone with a relatively active account (any way to define that other than post count like time on site reading threads?) is obviously a more natural choice to contribute as a tester (photo/video/writing/testing skill notwithstanding). BUT. One thing that is a general annoyance of mine with all forums is 'post-wh*ring'. It is very frustrating to have to wade through pages and pages of the same comment ('good job' or whatever) repeated by each and every person that reads the OP's opening statement, and nothing else, before the thread gets underway in earnest. Now, I'm not leveling accusations or anything (nor proclaiming total innocence), all I'm remarking is that there have been many times when I've actually felt discouraged by chiming in on a thread due to the amount of 'weeding' I had to do to get to the meat of it, read the comments that had the most substance, and then add my own 2 cents. All the 'attaboys' and 'good jobs' are necessary - I don't dispute that - to having a good community. I just wish people would take it one step further and post a little more than just that when it's such a basic sentiment. Surely I'm not alone in this?

I think it's a good thing that you bring up the Albatross Club, and mention that it could be used as a 'tiebreaker'. That's also eminently fair, IMO, but good to acknowledge publicly so there is no confusion about it.

For my part, I'm still relatively new here and try to help or contribute when I can, and have thrown my name in to test once or twice, but also will only be doing that when it's a product I honestly think I can test knowledgeably and at a time when I can devote the effort. Anyone that has tested product and written about it before can attest to how much work it can be. Rewarding, yes, but difficult, too, and I would say the forum-testing format is more time-consuming because it's interactive and you have to check back very regularly to answer questions from the people reading the thread. Better process overall than a typical one-sided conversation, but more effort to be sure.

Re: activity, and this has come up before and I wanted to comment: there's no doubt that has to be a key component in the selection process - someone with a relatively active account (any way to define that other than post count like time on site reading threads?) is obviously a more natural choice to contribute as a tester (photo/video/writing/testing skill notwithstanding). BUT. One thing that is a general annoyance of mine with all forums is 'post-wh*ring'. It is very frustrating to have to wade through pages and pages of the same comment ('good job' or whatever) repeated by each and every person that reads the OP's opening statement, and nothing else, before the thread gets underway in earnest. Now, I'm not leveling accusations or anything (nor proclaiming total innocence), all I'm remarking is that there have been many times when I've actually felt discouraged by chiming in on a thread due to the amount of 'weeding' I had to do to get to the meat of it, read the comments that had the most substance, and then add my own 2 cents. All the 'attaboys' and 'good jobs' are necessary - I don't dispute that - to having a good community. I just wish people would take it one step further and post a little more than just that when it's such a basic sentiment. Surely I'm not alone in this?

I don't deny for one second that I'm not guilty of it, but the last paragraph was a really good point.

I just kinda did it with this post...

While that "post-wh*ring" may annoy you, I cant tell you how much testers appreciate when someone leads feedback, any kind of feedback, on something the wrote.

Roggey you do have a point. Threads get quite large and wading through the posts can take a while. But as War stated, it truly means the world when someone comments on things during the review. Its a show of support for the tester's. Plus you would be surprised by what a little banter can bring out. Some of the testing threads I have read, it was the banter that brought forth some great info from the testers

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I don't know about you all, but I mainly skim the testing threads until I see something from the testers, so the good job posts don't bother me at all.

I don't know about you all, but I mainly skim the testing threads until I see something from the testers, so the good job posts don't bother me at all.

Me too, I usually go straight to the videos and photos, I use videos because in my opinion, the videos asre great relief from the endless river of words and sentences haha. I think it's easier to relate to a video in my own opinion

Videos are fine, but as somebody that does the bulk of his THP'ing from work, I tend to not see a great portion of them.

I'm the same way. They don't bother me.

Videos are fine, but as somebody that does the bulk of his THP'ing from work, I tend to not see a great portion of them.

I can bump some of mine for you haha

While that "post-wh*ring" may annoy you, I cant tell you how much testers appreciate when someone leads feedback, any kind of feedback, on something the wrote.

BOTH of these. As a tester, the good jobs and "attaboys" mean a whole lot, I can tell you that. Its great to get any feedback that people are reading aand following the hard work that goes into these testings because they certainly are NOT a cakewalk if you are doing it right IMO. By the same token its why I link to my old posts in every single new one, it makes it easier for people to get to over time when the page and post counts get higher and higher, but it really is a s simple as what Hawk says too, just skim until you get to the testers posts, its not like its that difficult to do.

Just my take though.

Back