G10 Driver Review

johowdy123

Reaction score
Handicap
Ping G10 Review

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum, but I have been a forum browser for years, and have been an active member in other golf forums. One thing I see across many of these forums is the lack of “older” reviews. Not everyone plays with the most modern, newest equipment, and I for one have always found it troubling how strong he used market is, but the used reviews are so few and far between. Well, since I am so new, I want to start this forum off with something sort of new, and something that will help golfers across the board.
A little preface of myself, I am a 25 year old avid golfer. My father taught me the game around when I was 17 or so after a baseball injury removed me from the sport. Since then golf has been my #1. I have played with a multitude of equipment and am a self proclaimed equipment enthusiast. My love for the game has taken me though a great number of equipment, and I hope my knowledge can help other golfers find that perfect set! My game has developed from a 40 handicap back at age 17, to currently (25 yrs) a 7 with a strong iron game, and burgeoning putting game. Lol I have seen golf from all the angles on the course, from a super slice to a monster hook, I can remember several times where my golf ball was actually stuck in the upper part of a tree. Golf will always be fun, and I hope I can help make it more enjoyable for others! A few “numbers” about my current game, I currently have a driver SS of 114-118, with a carry avg. of ~285. I have an average 5 iron distance of ~220, and still often carry a 7 wood. Ha, Though my game has evolved to somewhat of a matured swing I am still humbled by the variety within the game, and the many ways to be successful within this great sport. (ie my father regularly still beating me, even though he only drives it ~250. Spectacular putter of the ball though)
So on to this review. I know the G10 isn’t that old, and there are many established reviews, but since it is currently my “go to” driver, I figured this a good place to start, and work from here.
So, my currently G10 is a 9* with a Grafalloy Epic X stiff.

Appearance:
From the start, I was looking for a driver that would deliver at address without even swinging. Going from a Taylormade R7 460, the G10 was my first driver that I would call mine. The R7 was a good driver to learn and grow on, the G10 turned out to be the driver that would carry me onward. As soon as you look down on it, you are inspired to crush the ball. If you like a traditional small pear shape, you may look else wear, but if you are ok with a “modern pear” or the 460 bulging pear, you will feel right at home with the G10. Not a geometry driver by any imagination (today’s standards) the G10 has a very nice resting place at address at a square position. I have heard others say its slightly closed or open, all a matter of opinion. What is a true measure of opinion is the alignment aid. The half moon has become one of ping’s most “love/hate” items of recent memory. To me, I find the G10’s subtle evolution of the G2’s original creation the best of the bunch. Just dark enough to see, not dark enough to carry the eyes, it looks great! The G10 is one of pings deepest faced drivers only behind the most recent I series (I15 and I20). The G10 can be considered the evolution point where the Iseries’ shape was created from.

Performance:
It stands to reason, that the G10 has been a constant figure in my bag for the last 3 ½ years. (4 seasons) It flat out performs. Starting with the sound you are greeted with a resounding crack when you hit a solid drive. It isn’t a “tin can” nor is it R7 425 “thwack” sound, but that nice titanium crack sound. Higher pitch than some drivers, but again not hollow or tinny, very assertive. The ball flight is a higher flight, with a low/mid spin design. The deep face leads to a good amount of forgiveness and is most noticed on heal hits. Toe hits are the least forgiving I’ve found, but will still yield a 80% drive if I have done my part.
Evolution:
I have now been though 3 different shafts in this drive, UST V2 65 stiff was the first shaft. It was the direct pull from my R7 460. I loved this shaft. It had a wonderful character and was a great drive for my SS at the time. (~101-103) The a few seasons later, I had hit the gym, my game had improved and found the flight was just too high and my spin was getting up around 3100, just too high; I knew a shaft change was in order. Enter a ping demo day, and the Graphite Design Aura Red X. What a wonderful shaft, perfect launch, perfect spin (~108-112). The feel was amazing and shaft and head was well received by the several ping rep’s I had spoken with and a few local pro’s. Everyone felt it was great. So, end of 2011, my SS really had picked up (current ~114-118) and the aura was just launching too high, sometimes nearly at 16*-18*. Enter the grafalloy Epic X… What can I say, if there is a shaft to recommend with this head cover the aura Red, it would be the epic. Lighter than the Aura, at 69g vs 73g. the epic has proved to be a more stable shaft and a better fit for my current swing. With the Aura shaft, I was heavily advised not to tip the shaft, but with the Epic, I have tiped it 1 ¼ inches and what an improvement it has made for my swing. Smooth and super loadable, this shaft is super stable and I can really crack the driver with this shaft!

Comparisons:
G15 vs G10. Shape is the main difference. The G10 is a more rounded, small head design, where the G15 is more a stretched head though rounded off in the back side. The G15 will launch a little higher (loft for loft) and spin a little less. I now carry a G15 7.5 and love it, but it isn’t that huge of a difference over the G10 that is completely knocked it out of my arsenal.
I15 vs G10. Forgiveness is the main difference. The G10 is much more forgiving than the I15 but for better players, the I15 is a little more workable high to low. The I15 will provide a lower flight with lower spin than the G10. Also the alignment aid has been changed to the modern ping arrows aid.

Conclusion:
Anyone looking for a reasonable priced alternative to the G20 and I20 lines, should highly consider the G10’s. They can be had now for well under $100 and what a driver it will be. It gives a more appealing look than many geometry drivers, and the sound is so inspiring. With all that, the driver has a great evolution path if you like shafts, and you will always find something to make this head work! Ping had done a wonderful job making a driver that can succeed its own time frame, and the G10 is a driver for anyone.

This is a really solid writeup of the G10. Thanks for taking the time to post it and I look forward to reading your thoughts on other equipment as well, looks like you have a good bit of experience trying out different equipment.

Lastly, welcome to the forum!

Thanks! I will definitely be posting more about the various equipment in it bag and the tons of stuff I've played over the years. Lol

Well dona and appreciated! I agree with you that there are not enough used market comparisons on the web. I have always found that a review from a model a few years old that compares the old to the new to be the most valuable ones I read.

Nice thoughts Johowdy123. Very good write up and I love the idea of the older club review. If there isn't one on the website yet, it is nice to have one now!!

I have a G10 and I love it... I just put a new red golf pride tour wrap 2G that Im about to go test out... previously I had a Nike Machspeed but the shape/sound was too much for me... I hit the ball fairly straight where I dont need changeable weights/lofts but sometimes I do hit it pretty high... I found the G10 a year and a half ago in golfsmith with a Pro Launch Red shaft 9* and I traded the Machspeed in for it... normally I buy and sell everything on eBay but it was a spur of the moment decision I made to swap them out right then and there... overall Im glad I did, I love the way my G10 plays, its a well built club

Great review johowdy123! I'm loving my i10 irons as well. Latest does not always mean greatest for each and every one of us. Nothing wrong with sticking with tried & true clubs. I still think the biggest gains in golf the past few years have been in the area's of shafts and balls.

I'm glad To see such a warm reception. I gave Found the entire G10 series a wonderful design. Especially Trying The G10 Irons Vs G20s there really hasnt been much change.
Hope to have a Ping i3+ Iron Review up today.

Back