G425 Max 5W Impressed

Song Dog

Reaction score
Handicap
So I’m a Mizuno freak BUT it was time to upgrade my 5W as needing a 7W. Mizuno only makes a 3&5 W ugh. I’ve hit the 425s and liked them. I could have done a Mizuno STZ 5W and a 425 7W, but mentally I’d regret not having the the 5&7 the same. So my 425 5W came the other day and my grips for the 5&7 also came in. So I gripped the 5W and later took it out for a lil spin. More impressed out on the course than when I hit it before. Long, high, forgiving, and the dispersion was awesome. So pleased and now chomping at the bit for the 7W to get here.

Nice, I like the performance of my 25 max 3 wood. But the pitch of the sound literally hurts my ears. Almost leaves a ringing in my right ear when I hit it.

One of my favorite clubs in the bag. Long and high. Funny, mine sounds just great. Not sure if true but perhaps the shaft changes the sound? Both my G425 Max driver and 5 wood have the Tensei Raw Orange shaft in them. Love them both.

So I’m a Mizuno freak BUT it was time to upgrade my 5W as needing a 7W. Mizuno only makes a 3&5 W ugh. I’ve hit the 425s and liked them. I could have done a Mizuno STZ 5W and a 425 7W, but mentally I’d regret not having the the 5&7 the same. So my 425 5W came the other day and my grips for the 5&7 also came in. So I gripped the 5W and later took it out for a lil spin. More impressed out on the course than when I hit it before. Long, high, forgiving, and the dispersion was awesome. So pleased and now chomping at the bit for the 7W to get here.

I hit the G425 Max 5W with a Red Ventus 70S shaft in it. That club is a bomber off the tee, we GPS measured it a 233y which is super long for me. Definitely longer than my Mavrik 5W and just a great ball flight. The 13.5° 3W could be a driver replacement for me very easily I think and looking forward to trying these out in the near future.

I hit the G425 Max 5W with a Red Ventus 70S shaft in it. That club is a bomber off the tee, we GPS measured it a 233y which is super long for me. Definitely longer than my Mavrik 5W and just a great ball flight. The 13.5° 3W could be a driver replacement for me very easily I think and looking forward to trying these out in the near future.
The more I hit it, the more I like it. The 5&7 is going to be a great pair

The more I hit it, the more I like it. The 5&7 is going to be a great pair
Sounds like a great combo. I don't play a 7w at the moment but thinking going 3 and 5 both with red Ventus 70g Reg flex shafts.

How is the launch on the 7W

I can definitely relate to this as I couldn’t make a decision between the STZ or G425 Max FW’s. Both were excellent and think couldn’t of went wrong with either choice.

Don’t mean to sidetrack the thread but been meaning to ask, what’s the difference between lofting a 3w up or 5w down, let’s say to achieve a 4w loft? Other than having an hard time between these two models, this was another debate I was thinking of but went with the 3w loft up route.

I can definitely relate to this as I couldn’t make a decision between the STZ or G425 Max FW’s. Both were excellent and think couldn’t of went wrong with either choice.

Don’t mean to sidetrack the thread but been meaning to ask, what’s the difference between lofting a 3w up or 5w down, let’s say to achieve a 4w loft? Other than having an hard time between these two models, this was another debate I was thinking of but went with the 3w loft up route.
If you loft up it will close the face slightly, if you loft down it will open the face slightly. So just depends really on what you are comfortable seeing at address.
Personally I don't care for an open face, so rare that I will ever loft a club down a degree.

If you loft up it will close the face slightly, if you loft down it will open the face slightly. So just depends really on what you are comfortable seeing at address.
Personally I don't care for an open face, so rare that I will ever loft a club down a degree.
Thanks for the info. I’ve really never thought about open vs closed face based on loft settings but I’m not good enough for it to bother me at the moment.

I’m playing a Flash 7w lofted up to 23* currently and this week got in a 425 Max 9w to try. I have settled into the -1/flat setting. So far so good. My miss with the flash is usually a quick pull hook. With the ping a similar swing seems to hold its line a bit better. Distance is equal between them. And the ping is 1/2” shorter shaft so plenty of pop with it.

So I grabbed both a 3&5 G425 fairway. Stock slate shaft in the 5W and Adilia 130 in the 3w and these are really good fairways. Over the winter I will be acquiring 2 Ventus Red 6S shafts to put into them.
So easy to launch and a nice high ball flight with a draw to both of them.

I’m playing a Flash 7w lofted up to 23* currently and this week got in a 425 Max 9w to try. I have settled into the -1/flat setting. So far so good. My miss with the flash is usually a quick pull hook. With the ping a similar swing seems to hold its line a bit better. Distance is equal between them. And the ping is 1/2” shorter shaft so plenty of pop with it.

I have the 9W set to -1.5 and it is a very good club for me. It covers the 185 yard distance I am looking for and sits soft. I may try the -1 flat setting though as I hit it left every once in a while.

I am thinking about reworking my bag a bit maybe looking at replacing my 3 and 5 wood with a 4 wood and adding in another club the 180-185 range that I hit lower for when it is windy. Maybe the 425 with a bit of loft added.

Still have not received the 7W. Getting impatient LOL but when it gets here I'll forget about how long it has taken. Still blistering the 5W

I have the 425 SFT 5w in on trial. Gamed it for a round and liked how it performed. It’s a larger profile but shallow so it launches easily. I didn’t find it to be hooky. More straight to a baby draw. I have it with the Alta CB 65R and it was good for around 200 yds on a good strike. Which for me is pretty good on a 47* day.

I tried the max 9w while back and it’s another nice club but my swing was off that day and I chunked it a couple times. So it got me worried and it never made the bag.

I hit a 3w off the deck from 223 today into a slight breeze and was pin high about 6 yards left of the green. Just a nice high pretty draw that turned out well. Really liking the G425 Max fairways as they launch easy and have a flight that seems to not balloon but just goes out and climbs and then gets some roll out.

Only had a chance to hit the G425 5W twice today on the par 5's. This club launches so easy and has a great ball flight. Haven't been able to get my Ventus red shafts yet, but should really help a bit more consistency over the stock shaft.

I an STILL waiting on the 7W ugh but after having the 5W since August and played it a lot, probably by far the best I had in the bag. Thats what makes my anticipation for the 7W so great lol I was told now anytime till Jan.

5w was a beast today, hit one into the green side bunker from 198 uphill into the wind. Hit another just to the front edge of the green from 213. Ball flight on the fairways is nice and high and just penetrates but never balloons.

Back