Game of Thrones prequel - House of the Dragon

They are trying g to cover a lot of ground. I actually don’t mind it.
I was ok with it until Episode 5 to Episode 6. I think I checked a few times because I thought I missed a few episodes.

Give me even more dragons, please. All the dragons.

That transition from Episode 5 to 6 was brutal.

I am so lost with this season. One minute the princess is 14 and about to get married and the next episode she is 30 with 3 kids and one in the oven…

what the hell is going on?
The story spans a long period of time and I think they are trying to stay accurate to the book. I was wondering how they would approach it and I think they did a pretty good job though it makes for a strange viewing experience. The first few episodes were basically setting the history and pre-text.

Wife and I like it so far.

The story spans a long period of time and I think they are trying to stay accurate to the book. I was wondering how they would approach it and I think they did a pretty good job though it makes for a strange viewing experience. The first few episodes were basically setting the history and pre-text.
I read this as they are trying to do too much in too few of episodes.

not a fan. Flash back of the final episodes.

I am so lost with this season. One minute the princess is 14 and about to get married and the next episode she is 30 with 3 kids and one in the oven…

what the hell is going on?
It’s been a bit difficult for certain, especially this last episode. Lot of fast forwarding going on for the creators.

It's been fantastic. That was a big jump, but by design. Probably could have done a whole year with the first cast, but not sure it would have added much.

"Loved" the show. But I abhor the cast change. Simply cannot convey that sentiment nearly enough.

Makeup is used to age the king and others but obviously new people altogether (and relatively inferior actors, imho) are simply inserted to replace pivotal cast members? Once at terms with my initial confusion, I could only laugh. From GoT horrible final season, to this??

It's as if they're trying to make poor decisions a cyclical art form. Maybe it's merely intended cover for the GoT final season, I don't know. A form of demonstrative creative imbalance to blur the lines of past transgressions.

I'm sure others will disagree. But I'm also sure that a switch from any of the prominent actors in GoT would've been met with bold disdain.

The characters' personality, due to the actors' talents, what made them compelling, has been completely lost, imo. But Josh Brolin might've made for a great older Jon Snow. Man, we all missed out on that one.

Last edited:
I think it's because middle aged people can be aged up easily, whereas with teenagers it's much harder to age up convincingly.

I prefer young Alicent though.

I think it's because middle aged people can be aged up easily, whereas with teenagers it's much harder to age up convincingly.

I prefer young Alicent though.
Absolutely it would be, but I trust in the artists' talents (fwiw, one actress is 22). Personally, I'd much rather see a less than convincing aged makeup job than an entirely new actor. One may may effect visual feel, this option changes all of it.

If Milly Alcock didn't do such an extraordinary job in her role, I'd obviously care much less. But, at least to me, she was the star of the show. Her character, sure, but she's the one who embodied that character so she becomes that individual. This new actress, no offense to her, but I find nothing compelling about her personality within this character. I sure tried, but I couldn't connect with her at all. Therefore, I couldn't care what happens to her. Her scenes are just like any other's now, a (made to be, imo) bland step by step advancement of story.

Shame on me, I should've read up in advance. Had I known, and following GoT's final season, I'd have likely steered clear.

Absolutely it would be, but I trust in the artists' talents (fwiw, one actress is 22). Personally, I'd much rather see a less than convincing aged makeup job than an entirely new actor. One may may effect visual feel, this option changes all of it.

If Milly Alcock didn't do such an extraordinary job in her role, I'd obviously care much less. But, at least to me, she was the star of the show. Her character, sure, but she's the one who embodied that character so she becomes that individual. This new actress, no offense to her, but I find nothing compelling about her personality within this character. I sure tried, but I couldn't connect with her at all. Therefore, I couldn't care what happens to her. Her scenes are just like any other's now, a (made to be, imo) bland step by step advancement of story.

Shame on me, I should've read up in advance. Had I known, and following GoT's final season, I'd have likely steered clear.

I knew it was coming so was prepared. But like most initially thought it was dumb.

Something I read about it as well was the older actresses were the ones that were cast first, and characters written with them in mind. The first ones did do a great job, but I'm willing to give the new ones a chance.

exactly. I never read the books. but should this character lose everything about what made her so compelling in the first 5 episodes? It felt like in Episode 6 she was defeated by queen. Gone was the bad ass that should rule.

I knew it was coming so was prepared. But like most initially thought it was dumb.

Something I read about it as well was the older actresses were the ones that were cast first, and characters written with them in mind. The first ones did do a great job, but I'm willing to give the new ones a chance.

I've no choice at this point, LOL... time invested, and all. 😉

The mistake they made then, was hiring such strong actors for the younger versions. Now, for many, the actors for whom the roles were always intended, may fail to measure up.

I think it's been fantastic. Game of Thrones/House of Dragons has never been one of those shows you can just have on in the background. The transition took me a second, but overall I loved it. It's just added to the complexity of the show and the politics because now you have all the offspring that have their own storylines. I'm a pretty big fan of the transition, it's just getting more and more complex.

I think it's been fantastic. Game of Thrones/House of Dragons has never been one of those shows you can just have on in the background. The transition took me a second, but overall I loved it. It's just added to the complexity of the show and the politics because now you have all the offspring that have their own storylines. I'm a pretty big fan of the transition, it's just getting more and more complex.
I hope I get to feeling like that. Prior to the cast change, the acting overall and production were excellent.

exactly. I never read the books. but should this character lose everything about what made her so compelling in the first 5 episodes? It felt like in Episode 6 she was defeated by queen. Gone was the bad ass that should rule.
Maybe that's what they were going for. Now will she submit or push up her sleeves and start knocking heads? Find out next week...

One thing which bugged me recently:

Spoiler

That Ser Cristan Cole knight who looked after young Rhaenyra, he smashed that gay blokes face into a pulp in front of everyone at the wedding and seemingly got away with it scot free.

Yet the dark haired guy gave him a couple of slaps in the training yard and he's disgraced and shipped off back to his home castle to burn to death!

Doesn't make sense.

Wow, it looks like I'm in the minority here because it's felt slow moving to me. I can't remember how GOT season one started but I don't remember it feeling so slow. This has had some good parts but I don't feel as engaged as I was with GOT.

HOW ARE ALL OF THE KINGS NEW KIDS BLONDE?!?

this is bugging the hell out of me.

there was a whole storyline in GOT that Ned figured out that Cerci’s kids had to be Jamie’s because of being all blonde.

the queen has suspicions that Rhenera’s kids aren’t that dudes because they are all brown haired.

yet the dark haired queen produces these perfectly bleach blonde Targaryen’s? None of them have brown hair?!? The whole reason the Targaryen’s preserved blonde hair in the books is due to incest. This doesn’t make any sense.

Wow, it looks like I'm in the minority here because it's felt slow moving to me. I can't remember how GOT season one started but I don't remember it feeling so slow. This has had some good parts but I don't feel as engaged as I was with GOT.
GOT wasn’t very slow until season 5. It started off pretty decently.

HOW ARE ALL OF THE KINGS NEW KIDS BLONDE?!?

this is bugging the hell out of me.

there was a whole storyline in GOT that Ned figured out that Cerci’s kids had to be Jamie’s because of being all blonde.

the queen has suspicions that Rhenera’s kids aren’t that dudes because they are all brown haired.

yet the dark haired queen produces these perfectly bleach blonde Targaryen’s? None of them have brown hair?!? The whole reason the Targaryen’s preserved blonde hair in the books is due to incest. This doesn’t make any sense.
Targaryen blonde is dominant , Lannisters is not.

I guess they all assume that the father's hair colour is the dominant one.

Back