Gankas or Bender?!?!

Jfdkluc77

Reaction score
If you had to choose one instructor of these two, who would it be and why?

If you had to choose one instructor of these two, who would it be and why?
Have you been looking at my Instagram? These two dominated. Bender helped me more.

Have you been looking at my Instagram? These two dominated. Bender helped me more.

I have not, are you under “Molten” and can you elaborate why? I love the Bender stuff and had an online lesson as I can’t make it to Florida but it’s just seems hard to implement it all, especially for someone who has hit a flip pull hook for years.

I have not, are you under “Molten” and can you elaborate why? I love the Bender stuff and had an online lesson as I can’t make it to Florida but it’s just seems hard to implement it all, especially for someone who has hit a flip pull hook for years.
Oh I was just making a joke about looking at my Instagram. And I still can’t implement it all-not even close

Gankas all day, everyday. Those wishing to understand the elements of a sound golf swing will learn them from Gankas. I doubt if Mike Bender can achieve the same. From Bender's instruction videos I have watched I came away feeling disappointed.
Gankas on the other hand teaches all the swing elements I own in my own golf swing, which I taught myself over 12 years from research and access to elite players.

Gankas all day, everyday. Those wishing to understand the elements of a sound golf swing will learn them from Gankas. I doubt if Mike Bender can achieve the same. From Bender's instruction videos I have watched I came away feeling disappointed.
Gankas on the other hand teaches all the swing elements I own in my own golf swing, which I taught myself over 12 years from research and access to elite players.
I have to say Gankas is one of the best.

Gankas, it's no contest. His knowledge is amazing, I think he's done far more research than anyone else out there, and uses his knowledge in a thoughtful and constructive way. For example; I'm currently reading a book from 1933, 'Down to Scratch' by Abe Mitchell, and there are concepts in there that GG talks about, but I've never heard anyone else discuss them. My guess is he's read it, and countless other books to develop his understanding of golf.

We have a very similar approach in that we read a ton, listen to other coaches, take in their content, AND don't pigeon hole someone into a 'model' while allowing people to swing their own swings, as long as they don't violate our tolerances.

GG is super technical from what's available for free, and I think people get a lopsided view of how he teaches (and are critical of the small amount of content they've seen that they perceive as his 'way' or style) without doing their own homework, speaking with him, or even subscribing to his platform.

Ask yourself do you want to be Sung Kang or Zach Johnson? If Sung go Gankas if Johnson go Bender

gankas for me. he seems like he can translate the golf swing into motion patterns we already know. he also seems like a guy who is willing to take what you walk in with and make it the best it can possibly be. bender seems like a guy who is going to tear you down before trying to build you back up.

i spent a few minutes around bender some years ago. i didn't care for his personality at all.

Ask yourself do you want to be Sung Kang or Zach Johnson? If Sung go Gankas if Johnson go Bender
I think AverageJoe golfers have to ask themselves; 'Do I want to get better?' and then commit to finding a program/coach that will map out a plan and then do the work.

Because, regardless of who's and how many videos you watch, unless you have a plan for how to get better and work at it, you're just wasting your time and energy.

We fix people who go at it on their own a bunch...there are internet coaches out there that try to teach everyone the same. They don't realize that as a coach, if they have been playing since they were younger, and are accomplished players, the way they teach can't be based on their own swings and what they've done, but needs to be catered to the abilities, tendencies, and swings of their players. This is the biggest mistake we've seen as we look at different online & in person programs; 'One Way' of teaching golf. A lot of coaches try to impart their methods on their 'customers', don't give players feedback and are just out to sell videos. 👎

Same. I like Gankas but Bender is a fantastic teacher with a very consistent and incremental swing approach. Bender's body movements emphasize swing points better than anyone else I have ever seen. If one buys into his view of the golf swing, I am not sure there is a better teacher. The only one I have seen who comes close to the same level of detail and instructional clarity is Malaska.

If you're a Youtuber check out Clay Ballard and Top Speed Golf. My brother turned me on to him and the way he explains things really clicks for me.

From what I've seen of Gankas's videos, when he's teaching students he doesn't let the them wander about continuing with a bad swing. GG is like "OK, put the club down, come back here and watch yourself on video....see that?". "Ok, go back and hit one....Stop...come on back again". Lol.

Gankas, I am getting more out of what I have than I ever have. The guy is fun and a bit crazy but a hell of a teacher. I love how many times he askes. Do you understand. Do you have questions. He leaves nothing to chance.

If you're a Youtuber check out Clay Ballard and Top Speed Golf. My brother turned me on to him and the way he explains things really clicks for me.

Clay has a 'One Way' teaching, which is why I gave your comment a 👎...not to say that it's wrong, it's just one dimensional and not for everyone. Clay is a great player and can outright pound the ball, that's why his nickname was the Lag Doctor 😂

Clay used to work for Chuck Quinton at Rotary Swing who is also a 'One Way' teacher, and is a big proponent of a flatter shoulder plane and a "passive" release (he doesn't get into all that on his site though). Chuck has to swing his way because he was in a bad car crash, so he basically teaches everyone his way. Chuck is a great ball-striker, epic really, BUT he is super athletic, more than most...he just can't putt 😂. Chuck now claims he can fix your swing with 'ONE DRILL', which is not true. Full Disclosure, I've taken in person lessons from him way back in the day and studied his book.

Either of those guys are good options for less flexible folks, but issues come up with consistency and coming over the top. We have a model of a little bit of what they teach in one of the release options we have, but again, not for everyone.

I like that Marty guy who always seems to be out in the middle of a football field! He's actually pretty good for a lower-budget YouTube presentation.

I think AverageJoe golfers have to ask themselves; 'Do I want to get better?' and then commit to finding a program/coach that will map out a plan and then do the work.

Because, regardless of who's and how many videos you watch, unless you have a plan for how to get better and work at it, you're just wasting your time and energy.

We fix people who go at it on their own a bunch...there are internet coaches out there that try to teach everyone the same. They don't realize that as a coach, if they have been playing since they were younger, and are accomplished players, the way they teach can't be based on their own swings and what they've done, but needs to be catered to the abilities, tendencies, and swings of their players. This is the biggest mistake we've seen as we look at different online & in person programs; 'One Way' of teaching golf. A lot of coaches try to impart their methods on their 'customers', don't give players feedback and are just out to sell videos. 👎
My post was made tongue in cheek should have put an emoji to indicate. Gankas and Bender are both great teachers and it is hard to argue with the success their players have had. For me personally I wouldn't choose either. I am happy with my guy Kyle Morris owner of The Golf Room in Dublin OH. Full disclosure Bender was Kyle's swing coach when he played professionally. Check him out on the socials and let me know what you think. For the record I don't have a problem with one way teachers. If you don't like Bender, Harmon, Summerhayes, Como, Jacobs, Manzella, Gankas, or anyone else you can name don't go see them. Your not going to podiatrist if you have heart issues. Just like you shouldn't see Manzella if you don't like The Golfing Machine. That's not on the teacher or doctor, that's on the person for not doing their research.

I think every player needs to ask themselves if they want to get better and then determine how hard they want to work achieve that goal. From there the player needs to find a teacher they are comfortable with. The player then needs to determine if the teacher can help them achieve those goals. If the teacher cannot then the players needs to find a new teacher. My first lesson with Kyle we spent the first 15 minutes discussing my goals, desired ball flight, and Kyle's philosophy. My desired ball flight with driver is slight fade. Kyle asked if I would be open to hitting a draw with the driver and I said no that I see tee shots working right to left (I am left handed) . Kyle said ok let's make you the best fader of the golf ball you can be. Now the first 5 to 10 minutes of every lesson is my telling Kyle what I want to work on, struggles,etc. IMO the player needs to take a leadership role in the teacher/player relationship. Also to many players complain of poor teaching when the truth is they aren't willing to put in the work to get better. No teacher no matter how good can make you better if you don't put in the work.

Clay has a 'One Way' teaching, which is why I gave your comment a 👎...not to say that it's wrong, it's just one dimensional and not for everyone. Clay is a great player and can outright pound the ball, that's why his nickname was the Lag Doctor 😂

Clay used to work for Chuck Quinton at Rotary Swing who is also a 'One Way' teacher, and is a big proponent of a flatter shoulder plane and a "passive" release (he doesn't get into all that on his site though). Chuck has to swing his way because he was in a bad car crash, so he basically teaches everyone his way. Chuck is a great ball-striker, epic really, BUT he is super athletic, more than most...he just can't putt 😂. Chuck now claims he can fix your swing with 'ONE DRILL', which is not true. Full Disclosure, I've taken in person lessons from him way back in the day and studied his book.

Either of those guys are good options for less flexible folks, but issues come up with consistency and coming over the top. We have a model of a little bit of what they teach in one of the release options we have, but again, not for everyone.
Clay is good in some videos IMO. I'm not a fan of techno-golf and 100's of movements that only a chiropractor could understand. Keep it simple and easy to digest. There's only so many ways to swing a golf club. However, over my years of studying golf there's little variation in impact positions.

My post was made tongue in cheek should have put an emoji to indicate. Gankas and Bender are both great teachers and it is hard to argue with the success their players have had. For me personally I wouldn't choose either. I am happy with my guy Kyle Morris owner of The Golf Room in Dublin OH. Full disclosure Bender was Kyle's swing coach when he played professionally. Check him out on the socials and let me know what you think. For the record I don't have a problem with one way teachers. If you don't like Bender, Harmon, Summerhayes, Como, Jacobs, Manzella, Gankas, or anyone else you can name don't go see them. Your not going to podiatrist if you have heart issues. Just like you shouldn't see Manzella if you don't like The Golfing Machine. That's not on the teacher or doctor, that's on the person for not doing their research.

I think every player needs to ask themselves if they want to get better and then determine how hard they want to work achieve that goal. From there the player needs to find a teacher they are comfortable with. The player then needs to determine if the teacher can help them achieve those goals. If the teacher cannot then the players needs to find a new teacher. My first lesson with Kyle we spent the first 15 minutes discussing my goals, desired ball flight, and Kyle's philosophy. My desired ball flight with driver is slight fade. Kyle asked if I would be open to hitting a draw with the driver and I said no that I see tee shots working right to left (I am left handed) . Kyle said ok let's make you the best fader of the golf ball you can be. Now the first 5 to 10 minutes of every lesson is my telling Kyle what I want to work on, struggles,etc. IMO the player needs to take a leadership role in the teacher/player relationship. Also to many players complain of poor teaching when the truth is they aren't willing to put in the work to get better. No teacher no matter how good can make you better if you don't put in the work.
"Determine how much they want to work to achieve that goal". You hit a soft spot there because you're right....but the underlying issue is the vast majority of golfers have a day job and other responsibilities, so it's nearly impossible to have a true practice regimen, and any extra time is spent playing. And who can blame them? Thus the quest for the quick fix due to time constraints.

Contrary to that there are guys who obviously need a complete swing rebuild, they don't work, they play every day, but they refuse to take lessons, but they will watch 1,000's of YouTube videos.

I can completely understand why it may not work for all. What I've found is that in the limited time I have to golf and practice golf, his teachings clicked for me. I'll fully admit I haven't seen the other gentlemen mentioned, so I'm not downgrading them in any sense. There's nothing I'd love more than to have the ability to work 1 on 1 with a genuine coach, but in the meantime I've got to stick to YouTube videos.

That being said I'll probably check out the other guys mentioned as well since there's plenty of room for improvement in my game :ROFLMAO:

"Determine how much they want to work to achieve that goal". You hit a soft spot there because you're right....but the underlying issue is the vast majority of golfers have a day job and other responsibilities, so it's nearly impossible to have a true practice regimen, and any extra time is spent playing. And who can blame them? Thus the quest for the quick fix due to time constraints.

Contrary to that there are guys who obviously need a complete swing rebuild, they don't work, they play every day, but they refuse to take lessons, but they will watch 1,000's of YouTube videos.

I totally thought this was a shot at me until I read the part about not working and playing every day. Need to hit the Powerball so I can live that life :ROFLMAO:

Back