Gankas or Bender?!?!

I can completely understand why it may not work for all. What I've found is that in the limited time I have to golf and practice golf, his teachings clicked for me. I'll fully admit I haven't seen the other gentlemen mentioned, so I'm not downgrading them in any sense. There's nothing I'd love more than to have the ability to work 1 on 1 with a genuine coach, but in the meantime I've got to stick to YouTube videos.

That being said I'll probably check out the other guys mentioned as well since there's plenty of room for improvement in my game :ROFLMAO:
You can do a hybrid. Online with a coach. Just make sure they give you a Plan and Feedback. Practice mostly at home without hitting balls.

That’s our model. 😉. Feel free to send me videos of your swing Down the Line and Face On...I can take a look for you (free of course) and Diagnose what you’re working with.

FYI, When you do the math our new Academy will cost less than a brand new driver.

I think I am in the nine of the above group. I am sure they are both great coaches and knew their stuff. Tanka’s kind of annoys me with his mannerisms.

Bender I don’t know much about other than stack and tilt and we all know how that ended..

So I guess I would go Gankas purely off that alone.

I totally thought this was a shot at me until I read the part about not working and playing every day. Need to hit the Powerball so I can live that life :ROFLMAO:
That's why I stuck that in there so you would understand!!!! Let's face it, if we all want to get really good at golf, we would need to spend far more time on the course, on the range, and with an instructor. Even the pro's can implode out of nowhere. I liken golf to playing the piano, you've got to play every day, have a practice regimen, and push yourself to play hard pieces despite failure because otherwise nothing is truly accomplished.

I think I am in the nine of the above group. I am sure they are both great coaches and knew their stuff. Tanka’s kind of annoys me with his mannerisms.

Bender I don’t know much about other than stack and tilt and we all know how that ended..

So I guess I would go Gankas purely off that alone.
Bender isn't stack and tilt that is Mike Bennent and Andy Plummer

You can do a hybrid. Online with a coach. Just make sure they give you a Plan and Feedback. Practice mostly at home without hitting balls.

That’s our model. 😉. Feel free to send me videos of your swing Down the Line and Face On...I can take a look for you (free of course) and Diagnose what you’re working with.

FYI, When you do the math our new Academy will cost less than a brand new driver.

I'll take you up on that, just gotta figure out how to take a video of my swing :LOL:

Bender isn't stack and tilt that is Mike Bennent and Andy Plummer

Oops... Got that mixed up. Well, than I say Gankas and Bender made me think of Bennent and stack and tilt. Haha.

We fix people who go at it on their own a bunch...there are internet coaches out there that try to teach everyone the same. They don't realize that as a coach, if they have been playing since they were younger, and are accomplished players, the way they teach can't be based on their own swings and what they've done, but needs to be catered to the abilities, tendencies, and swings of their players. This is the biggest mistake we've seen as we look at different online & in person programs; 'One Way' of teaching golf. A lot of coaches try to impart their methods on their 'customers', don't give players feedback and are just out to sell videos. 👎
I was having this very conversation in the context of another sport and how people are drawn to certain profiles, but the ability to perform as an athlete does not necessarily mean that same person has the skills required of an instructor / coach.

"Determine how much they want to work to achieve that goal". You hit a soft spot there because you're right....but the underlying issue is the vast majority of golfers have a day job and other responsibilities, so it's nearly impossible to have a true practice regimen, and any extra time is spent playing. And who can blame them? Thus the quest for the quick fix due to time constraints.

Contrary to that there are guys who obviously need a complete swing rebuild, they don't work, they play every day, but they refuse to take lessons, but they will watch 1,000's of YouTube videos.
I’m convinced the 1% who’ve been blessed with innate golf skills can have success with the approach you describe. The other 99% of us are the hamster on the wheel if we think there’s a quick fix to sustained golf success.

is this- mike bender and george gankas?

i tend to watch these two more- clay ballard and danny maude

I'll take you up on that, just gotta figure out how to take a video of my swing :LOL:

IF THPers want to video their swings, we are going to ask that you send us either still pics or a couple videos of your swing. First, you need to know how to film or take a pic of yourself for the golf swing. We're going to need two camera angles

1. Face On (FO) - This camera angle is just like it sounds. You film your golf swing just like you'd film an interview of yourself, but of your total body.
    • Place the camera at belly button height
    • Make sure we can see you AND the club at the top of the swing
    • Make a swing and capture the video
    • Clip the video to as short as you can using your phone's edit feature
    • Text us a video
  2. Down the Line (DL) - Place the camera in line with an imaginary golf flag down range.
    • Text us the video
Let us know if you have any questions, we're here to help!
camera setup 2.png

I’m convinced the 1% who’ve been blessed with innate golf skills can have success with the approach you describe. The other 99% of us are the hamster on the wheel if we think there’s a quick fix to sustained golf success.
Especially as people age...it's harder to learn new motion patterns due to science (less Myelin in the brain). There is no quick fix, there is no 'ONE Drill'...changes happen when you set your goals, have a plan, work at it, get Feedback, and embrace the journey of improving (highs & lows).

I was having this very conversation in the context of another sport and how people are drawn to certain profiles, but the ability to perform as an athlete does not necessarily mean that same person has the skills required of an instructor / coach.
💯A few years back, I was a shakey 24+ handicap, and am now low single digits...
  • I study the swing as if my life depended on it, books, online, in person with different coaches,
  • I talk with Tim about different golf "theories", methods, feels, motion patterns, etc. daily,
  • My short game is out of this world good, or that's what I tell myself 😂.
If you're struggling, I've likely been where you are at some point in my journey, and can empathize. I worked through every fault, mental, and other issue to get to where I am today. If I can do it, so can anyone else. 💪

I was going to say either one is gifted or not, and the rest can have fun but don't expect wild success. However, if one takes lessons and sticks with a program they can enjoy the game more. I have known some young kids, like 9 or 10 years old who can sing like a pro without any instruction. They just do it because they can.

Last edited:
Especially as people age...it's harder to learn new motion patterns due to science (less Myelin in the brain). There is no quick fix, there is no 'ONE Drill'...changes happen when you set your goals, have a plan, work at it, get Feedback, and embrace the journey of improving (highs & lows).
Agree Matt, great post. Stick with the program, but have a program first!

IF THPers want to video their swings, we are going to ask that you send us either still pics or a couple videos of your swing. First, you need to know how to film or take a pic of yourself for the golf swing. We're going to need two camera angles

1. Face On (FO) - This camera angle is just like it sounds. You film your golf swing just like you'd film an interview of yourself, but of your total body.
    • Text us a video
  2. Down the Line (DL) - Place the camera in line with an imaginary golf flag down range.
    • Text us the video
View attachment 8953530
Do we have to look like her? Or would our videos be rejected? :D

Do we have to look like her? Or would our videos be rejected? :D
We don’t care what you look like,😂 but if you’re struggling and you have her SetUp...we need to have a little intervention.

We’d tell you(her) to round her lower lumbar spine (take out the arch) same for her upper spine (gets her to have steeper shoulder plane) and get her weight back an inch to be more centered and balanced and not fall forward on her backswing. Her balance points are likely causing limited turn because she’s out of balance. 😉 but she may be able to shift rearward like DJ and get huge turn. We need to see video.

• Text us a video
    • Text us the video
View attachment 8953530
Thanks Matt. It might take a few tries but I'll get this done!

Back