barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi everyone.

I’m having a gapping issue that I need to fill. Currently play 5i at 23 degrees then jump to 5 wood at 18 degrees. Wondering about hybrids or long iron but not sure on loft. Should I be looking at 21 or 20 degrees?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone.

I’m having a gapping issue that I need to fill. Currently play 5i at 23 degrees then jump to 5 wood at 18 degrees. Wondering about hybrids or long iron but not sure on loft. Should I be looking at 21 or 20 degrees?

Thanks

22* 4-hybrid.

Five degrees isn't really that big a gap. I would let it go unless there was evidence it created problems.

My 5i goes 180 then my 5 wood goes a little over 200

Thta's a gap you will probably have to go into a store and hit a few options and see what you like. My guess is a 19*-20* hybrid or a 21* FW will probably work best for you so maybe start there.

My 5i goes 180 then my 5 wood goes a little over 200

Like others have said, look at a 4H preferably a adjustable one that you can play with the loft to get your distance gapping correct.

What is the length of your 5 wood and the length of your 5 iron. 20 yards difference seems very small. 5 woods from most manufacturers tend to be 42.5 length, and 5 irons run around 38. 4 and a half inches in length difference and 5 degrees of loft would for many people be a gap of 35+/- yards. My 4 iron is bent to 21* of loft and my 7 wood is at 20* of loft and the difference in length of shaft is 3 inches and from the from the turf carry distance difference is 15 yards.

Have you verified the lofts and lengths of your clubs?

TBH no one will be able to know exactly what club would fit in between clubs for you. Delivered loft and swing speed makes a huge difference between people.
1. Get your lofts and lengths checked.
2. Decide if 20 yards is too big of a gap, or if your gap is actually different because your loft(s) were off.
A. If it is, which only you can answer that, then try clubs

For me 20 is borderline too much, but 10 is too small. That is why I go 4 wood, 7 wood, 4 iron. I have a roughly 25 gap between between 4 wood and 7 wood and a 15 yard gap between 4 iron and 7 wood.

Back