Gapping Questions on New Z585 Irons

E Lee

Reaction score
Handicap
So I recently changed out my Bertha 19 SGI irons for Srixon Z585s. I did notice my yardages change fairly significantly lower, but I also know my Berthas had much stronger lofts. Here is my gapping analysis, with lofts and yardages. The Bertha yardages are accurate, and I'm still trying to figure out the Z585s. White cells are accurate, the others I don't know yet. I do not have a gap or sand wedge right now.

image.png.a4d95160314620cd3c517724e78e7055.png

So my questions are:
  1. Does the loft difference between the Berthas and the Z585s make that much of a difference? So my 8 iron at 34* at 160 yards is 10ish yards longer than my 8 iron at 35*? Maybe the slightly longer length as well?
  2. Biggest question is do I just get new wedges that are not Srixon. And what do I get?
    1. Loft wise, I am thinking 48* and 54* to match my Bertha composition. I like the idea of having the 115 yard and 100 yard clubs. My old Gap and SW were my favorite clubs. I just don’t know how comparable new wedges would be distance wise.
    2. I have no idea how to think about grind. I use my 48* for full and ½ shots. I use my SW for full shots and then in the bunker. My LW is sometimes for full shots, but mostly for high loft shots around the green (rarely in the bunker).
    3. Then brand of wedges…no idea. I thought about the Vokeys and the JAWS, but no idea.
  3. I’ve thought about adding in the new ZX7 AW, but at 51* I think it’s too far from my PW at 44*. I’ve typically kept my irons through SW in the same family, but don’t know that’s possible.
  4. I think I’m going to keep my hybrids for now. I don’t hit them super well, but those distances are roughly right. They are Big Bertha 19 hybrids.

Have you had lofts on both sets of your irons checked to make sure they are to spec to start the comparison?

Back