Gapping your irons?

JLit

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was working out my distances with the new to me MP-60s today on the LM and figured I'd throw this question out there. How much do you pay attention to loft when gapping your irons? Do you add or decrease loft to set your gaps to no end, or look at the swing if you find larger gaps throughout the bag.

For me, I've always hit my mid irons further relative to my short irons, always having a "drop" somewhere in the set. Usually somewhere around the 8i or 9i. Interesting today, my 9i averaged only 3 more yards carry than the pw, then a 10 yard gap to the 8i, followed by a big jump, 19 yards to the 7i, with the gap to the 6i back to 12 yards. I only deleted five shots, 4 duds and a nuked 6i to keep the averages from being skewed.

I checked specs afterwards, and to no surprise, the 8 and 9 were on the weak side with the pw slightly strong, though I don't think enough to close that gap. I bent them back to std and even delofted the 8 and 9 a degree, but didn't have a chance to run through them on the LM again.

Seems odd, but I won't be surprised of when all is said and done I have about a 2* gap from 7i to 8i, and a 6* gap between the 9i and pw.

Interested to see what others take on this is. Do you worry about the loft and number on the club, or just the yardage number? I definitely fall in the camp of the latter to an extent. After all, I wouldn't want my 8i playing to a 7i loft.

My concern about the loft of each club is solely for the purpose of knowing the lofts lead to specific yardages, and that I don't have a large gap from the short game through 210 yards (irons).

If I ended up with a couple of irons, lets say 7 and 8, that are really close in loft to get the desired yardage gaps... I'd be looking at those clubs to try and figure out why it's happening (other specs of the clubs: things like length, lie, flex, bend profile). In the end, though, if the yardage gaps are good, then don't worry about the loft.

One other note... If you play a combo set, it's possible to find this kind of gap at the transition point. For me, that was 7/8 iron. I have the 8 iron bent a touch strong (with some trickle-down loft adjustments to the 9/PW/GW).

Back