Gaps-Hybrids to Irons

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
What are your gaps between your highest lofted hybrid and your longest iron? How do you adjust if you have a large distance gap?

I have a 19 degree hybrid and then a 4 iron my gap is about 25/30 yards. I can choke down and take a little distance off but mostly I plan the hole and use course management to avoid being stuck in the distance gap.

What about you?

My gap is maybe 15-20 yds. No need to adjust for me as I am usually playing to a number on a par when choosing between these two clubs.

10-15 yards if both clubs get a solid strike on the ball. My shortest hybrid and longest iron are both 24*. The gap to my 19 from the iron is about the same as your gap. Choking down on the 19* can close it up sufficiently if I want to add a club elsewhere in the bag.

10-15 yards if both clubs get a solid strike on the ball. My shortest hybrid and longest iron are both 24*. The gap to my 19 from the iron is about the same as your gap. Choking down on the 19* can close it up sufficiently if I want to add a club elsewhere in the bag.

I like that your clubs are the same loft, gives a great gapping.

I like that your clubs are the same loft, gives a great gapping.

I've discovered that if one isn't neurotic about lofts between clubs one can eliminate problematic yardage gaps.

My 4 hybrid to 5 iron gap is about 20 yards. I just choke down a hair on the hybrid when between distance

My 4 hybrid to 5 iron gap is about 20 yards. I just choke down a hair on the hybrid when between distance

Bout 15 yard gap for me, same set up

I sought a hybrid that, regardless of loft, was 15-20 yards longer than my longest iron. With a little grip down I can narrow the gap, but the whole point for my hybrid is to fit right on top of the longest iron. My hybrid is one degree stronger than my 5i.

I replaced my 4-iron last year with the 21° Callaway X-Utility, which gives me about a 20-25 yard gap between it and my 5-iron. But I chose this loft on purpose because with my 5-iron at 200 yds and 18° hybrid at 235 I wanted something in the 220 range which the 21° gives me. for a normal 4-iron distance I'll just choke down a few inches and swing away.

I carry my 5i about 170-175, and the 24* 4h is 185-190. So about 15 yards. I suspect it would be more if I had more of a distance oriented hybrid though.

26* 5 hybrid 38.25" goes 165-168. Very high flight.
27* 6 iron 37.25" goes 155 more of a mid flight.
Works out really nicely.

between my 5h and my 6i is about 20 or so yards, has never caused a real problem since my consistency isn't there yet.

I'm cheating because my highest lofted "iron" is really a hybrid. Having said that, my 5 "iron" is good for a steady 155 (carry) and my 3 hybrid is good for 165-170 (carry). The gaps are about perfect. If I try and slide a 4 hybrid in there, there's really not enough gap to make it worth while.

I only have a 10-15 yard gap which is right where I want to be.

Mine is about 20-25 yards. I find it pretty easy to cut distance off my hybrid by either choking down or swinging a little easier.

I have a 7i and a 5h. My 6 is a hyron, so the gapping is pretty even, about 10 yards between each one.

I try to keep the gap just below 15 yards. Same with all other clubs

3h to 5i is anywhere from 20-35 yards depending on how well I'm hitting the 5i. I don't really care though. If I'm in between I'm just hitting the hybrid.

My gap is about 15 yards.

25* Jetspeed and a 26* 5 iron. I naturally hit the hybrid longer than the iron, so, I went down a degree or two on the hybrid to make the gapping fit my game better.

I have about a 15 yard gap between 3H and 4I, so I'm pondering a 4H. Choking down on a club has never worked well for me.

Well, my weak hybrid is so versatile that I don't consider any gap to be a problem. My 4-iron is a 195-yard carry, and I suppose my normal weak hybrid carry is about 215; but I can swing it comfortably between 205 and 225.

My 5hy is 25* and 220, 5i follows that and is about 205-207. Little bigger gap than I'd like, but I'm working on it.

3h to 5i is anywhere from 20-35 yards depending on how well I'm hitting the 5i. I don't really care though. If I'm in between I'm just hitting the hybrid.

This. Trying to muscle a club - especially a 5i - never ends well, at least not for this hacker.

The gap between my 18* hybrid and my 4 iron is about 25 yards.
I adjust by choking down a little on the hybrid if needed.

I have a 22* hybrid and a 21* 4i. I'm still trying to figure out my distances with the new irons, but if I had to guess the gap is 10-15 yards. I like that it slots on top of the 4i. I use the hybrid as a barometer for my swing and right now it doesn't agree with me, but I'm hitting the irons fine.

Back