MikeF

Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure if the US uses the same term as we do in the UK but I am now on Gardening Leave.

Basically I am being made redundant as the place that I work is going through cost cutting exercises

I was sent home today at 1.30pm and am not allowed back on site, they don't like IT people being on site when they may be disgruntled if you get my meaning

For the next 2 months I get to sit at home and job hunt whilst being paid my usual monthly salary. After that period I am officially redundant and get my measly payout.

Guess this means that I can play some golf during the next few months in between finding a new job so that I can support my family

With any luck I can find a suitable job in the next 2 months so that my redundancy payout can be spent on nice things rather than having to use it to pay the bills for a few months

Wish me luck :D

Good luck Mike, that sucks, we just had another round of that here...

Good luck out there MikeF. I'm sure you will find something soon if you get out there beating the bushes a bit. Hope it all works out quickly.

Over here we call it being laid off or paid leave. Good luck with the job hunt and all the extra golf time.

Thinking of a career change, am applying to be a security office where I worked as they have to give me an interview due to me being at risk and all

Good Luck Mike

Good luck on your search.

Best of Luck Mike!

good luck, Mike! I was laid off over a year ago and decided to go back to school. It's rough, but stick it out.

Thanks for the kind words. I am hoping that this will end up being for the best in the long run

I am determined not to let it get me down though, no point in moping around over it as that will do no good what so ever

Best of luck to you! I was laid off last October, but luckily found a new job in exactly a month. Ultimately they did me a huge favor by laying me off, the new job pays twice as well and has a lot more promotion potential.

Good luck. We've just had another round here, which I think I missed by the skin of my teeth. I know life tends not to be this easy, but fingers crossed you can use this as an opportunity to work out what you really want to do with your working life, and then do it. And in the best scenario, that'll be two summer months where you have a bit of free time to golf!

I hope you can either find something new or get called back soon.

Glad you are in good spirits about it. It has to be rough though . I hope you find something that will let you start after you get some 7 weeks of golf in...lol Good luck in your search.....

Good luck with everything. Sounds like it's not all bad since you have two months of pay and a buyout coming. All the best to you on your job search.

Good luck with everything. Sounds like it's not all bad since you have two months of pay and a buyout coming. All the best to you on your job search.

It could be worse I suppose, the buyout isn't that great, should see us though a couple of extra months though, but hoping it won't come to that

First full day on GL and it is a nice sunny day, so am sitting in the garden posting this. Going to replace the house security system in a while and I may even hot the course later.

Already put some feelers out and sent my CV to my works suppliers. I am not supposed to work during GL but I am going to try to do Cash in Hand jobs just to add to the kitty.

I was downsized a few years ago, and it sucked. In the long run it worked out for the best as I am now back doing what I was meant to do... Fix stuff. Take this as an opportunity to find your true calling and do what you love!

Sorry to hear this Mike. I've been made redundant 3 times so far, and if it helps, every single time ended up in a better situation through it. Also in the IT industry.

Hope you get sorted out with something really good soon, and just end up having a nice holiday with some golfing time! :D

Good luck Mike I hope you find an even better job than your previous one. My employers have a round of layoffs every year and it gets pretty tense when I start seeing people walked out the door by management.

Have worked it out, we have enough money to live off for almost 7 months so there is no rel rush to find a new job although the sooner I get one the better. Will mean I can spend all the extra money on new stuff

Well I am no longer on Gardening Leave anymore. Today I signed a Compromise Agreement that basically pays me out and terminates my employment. The good news is that I get a bigger payout than I would have had they just left me on GL for my notice.

I am now free from tomorrow to start working for another company, so it's now time to do some serious job hunting.

Had to turn 2 jobs down over the last month due to still being contracted.

The payout is split into 2 - the first being a cheque which should arrive in the next few days and the second and final payment should hit my account on the 22nd July.

I am just so glad that I am out of there now

Thats good Mike, hopefully you can find another job quickly and be able to keep that payout for something else

Good luck Mike, sorry to hear that!!

Back