I need to visit this post more often. @gkeller813 , what material do you use in your strawberry bed to suppress weeds? My strawberry bed is a hot mess (hoping to get to it this weekend). The asparagus in the same bed has no issue growing through the tangled mess, but the strawberries need some care.

Other than that, I am hoping to harvest garlic soon.
We use wood chips for mulch. Right now, our raised strawberry bed is so full of plants weeds have no chance.

IMG_0810.jpeg

We use wood chips for mulch. Right now, our raised strawberry bed is so full of plants weeds have no chance.

View attachment 9183603
Damn would love to know how you all keep pests away. Birds, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, deer would all have a feast on strawberries here

Damn would love to know how you all keep pests away. Birds, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, deer would all have a feast on strawberries here
Raised beds, and a solid fence keep most of the critters away. A pellet gun has reduced the number of chipmunks and 13 lined ground squirrels to nearly zero. Several feeders give the birds an easier meal than my berries.

Have had a native wildflower garden for the past 3 years. This year we've gotten a lot of Eastern Tiger Swallowtails. I was able to get close enought to capture it on some wild bergamont

20230727_184510.jpg

Then flying right towards me.

20230727_184135.jpg

This little 10 x 10 garden brings me so much joy with the wildlife it brings in. In addition to butterflies, i get a variety of bees and birds. I take a walk each morning to start my day, and this is always a stop.

Kids have been a huge help in the garden this year, especially with the pumpkins. We expanded the pumpkin planting a bit, and they have been tending to the plants, mostly keeping the weeds down until the vines spread. As motivation I said they could sell any pumpkins we don't use down by the road. So I'm hoping we get lots, because they deserve a reward for their hard work!

Have had a native wildflower garden for the past 3 years. This year we've gotten a lot of Eastern Tiger Swallowtails. I was able to get close enought to capture it on some wild bergamont

View attachment 9195414

Then flying right towards me.

View attachment 9195415

This little 10 x 10 garden brings me so much joy with the wildlife it brings in. In addition to butterflies, i get a variety of bees and birds. I take a walk each morning to start my day, and this is always a stop.

That is a spectacular picture! Wow

One of the most exciting things about the new place is I have an acre and a half of land so I am planning to have a big garden again and get back into the tomato, pepper and cucumber breeding that I dabbled with 10-15 years ago.

So many great pics in this thread already....anyone have more garden pics they want to share for some ideas and inspiration for my planning the next couple months? Here's my new backyard and a couple of pics from a previous garden 10+ years ago. I plan mostly raised beds.
136 Hill Rd Listing5.jpeggarden1.jpggarden2.jpgIMG_0775.JPG

One of the most exciting things about the new place is I have an acre and a half of land so I am planning to have a big garden again and get back into the tomato, pepper and cucumber breeding that I dabbled with 10-15 years ago.

So many great pics in this thread already....anyone have more garden pics they want to share for some ideas and inspiration for my planning the next couple months? Here's my new backyard and a couple of pics from a previous garden 10+ years ago. I plan mostly raised beds.
View attachment 9234491View attachment 9234492View attachment 9234493View attachment 9234494
breeding you say? I wonder how well seeds would travel to New Jersey....

As it relates to my planning, I am losing the war against the local deer, need to sort that out and may move some of the raised bed real estate into cutting flowers for the girls to enjoy through the summer

Foraging deer are a huge problem for rose gardeners.
I heard one effective solution is a double fence. Apparently they don't want to be trapped between two fences five feet apart though they easily escape that.
I've made it possible to do that with my rose gardens. I've seen them across a busy street.

breeding you say? I wonder how well seeds would travel to New Jersey....

As it relates to my planning, I am losing the war against the local deer, need to sort that out and may move some of the raised bed real estate into cutting flowers for the girls to enjoy through the summer
lol, I have gotten many seeds through the mail over the years as well as live plants. Most of my stock is more than likely not viable after the years of not planting and saving. Electric fences are cheap, versatile and good deterrents for deer in a garden

Foraging deer are a huge problem for rose gardeners.
I heard one effective solution is a double fence. Apparently they don't want to be trapped between two fences five feet apart though they easily escape that.
I've made it possible to do that with my rose gardens. I've seen them across a busy street.

lol, I have gotten many seeds through the mail over the years as well as live plants. Most of my stock is more than likely not viable after the years of not planting and saving. Electric fences are cheap, versatile and good deterrents for deer in a garden
Unfortunately the HOA probably won't look kindly on an electric fence....

I'm hoping my small area, about 15 x 15 when fenced and raised beds doesn't give them more than a few feet to jump into so they won't risk it

Unfortunately the HOA probably won't look kindly on an electric fence....

I'm hoping my small area, about 15 x 15 when fenced and raised beds doesn't give them more than a few feet to jump into so they won't risk it
Ahh yes the dreaded "hoa". Good luck. Deer have been the bane of my gardening experience over the years along with several other pests

Sat down last night and tried to sketch a layout of the garden. Will most likely will build this in stages and finish it up next spring. May be a bit too much to pull off before this year's growing season and who knows I may just decide to stop at 12 beds. Will fence off the entire size though. Leaning towards ten 10" deep beds, and six 6" deep.

Garden layout 2024.jpg

Back