Very nice setup, GG! Will be low maintnenance on the planter. Bags are a pain, but a lot easier to deal with than bulk.

Cucumbers are the only vine I am planting this year too.
You and @RealPretendPsychic need to try cucamelons!! Size of a grape, but taste like a cucumber with a hint of lime. A poppable garden snack my kids are so excited about. Smaller vines too!!

Cucamelon-Fruit.jpg

I tried to grow corn last year, but was unsuccessful. It started to look like something was happening, but then it just dried up and died.

Me too last I tried. Looks like it was doing great, got to about the size of those mini cobs that are typically found in Asian cuisine, and then they just withered up and died. It was quite sad as I love fresh corn. Not sure anything beats it for me.

You and @RealPretendPsychic need to try cucamelons!! Size of a grape, but taste like a cucumber with a hint of lime. A poppable garden snack my kids are so excited about. Smaller vines too!!

View attachment 9001706

What? I must try this. Do you just order seeds somewhere? Do they grow on a vine like cucumber? I need details haha.

Me too last I tried. Looks like it was doing great, got to about the size of those mini cobs that are typically found in Asian cuisine, and then they just withered up and died. It was quite sad as I love fresh corn. Not sure anything beats it for me.

Same, it was so sad. They got so tall too, I bet at least 3 feet high, but then nothing happened. They just turned yellow, then brown, then dead.

I've done corn 3 different years. 1 bad, 1 ok, and one great. Water and nitrogen are best for corn. My best year when the weather cooperatedI picked 200 ears, but next best was around 100.

What? I must try this. Do you just order seeds somewhere? Do they grow on a vine like cucumber? I need details haha.
Does vine like a cucumber, but the vines are quite a bit smaller and dont spread nearly as much.

I bought from here:

Does vine like a cucumber, but the vines are quite a bit smaller and dont spread nearly as much.

I bought from here:

I am going to look those up, thanks!

I bought from here:
Yep I’m gonna need some of those!

seeing this thread pop up is great. I fear missed my window from spring early summer planting. It went from "AZ winter" to 97. I do have some Kale, carrots and beets doing well. My hatch chiles have finally stopped producing. I really impressed with the volume and finally heat from them. I have filled my freezer adn given many quarts away.

I decided to do the soil in stages so I don’t kill myself. So I did 12 bags today and I will do 12 tomorrow and finish the rest Thursday or Friday which will just leave 88 bags of mulch for the weekend. I can totally do this :oops:

Just filled the garden with another 12 bags. Should be done by tomorrow. Then the mulching begins. The first 6 bags are hard to lift but doable, those last 6 feel like they each weigh 700 lbs.

How do you eat an elephant? A teaspoon at a time.

If you or a neighbor own a hand truck, it would make moving those bags much less tiring.

If you or a neighbor own a hand truck, it would make moving those bags much less tiring.

We use a hand truck to bring them to the back.

We use a hand truck to bring them to the back.

Yeah, moving to the back is the easy part, it's lifting them up and over the frame of the garden that's hard.

Yeah, moving to the back is the easy part, it's lifting them up and over the frame of the garden that's hard.
I played golf with a buddy of mine in construction the day after I built the ramp to my shed(in May, mind you), and I told him I didn't know how he did it. I died three times before noon.

I played golf with a buddy of mine in construction the day after I built the ramp to my shed(in May, mind you), and I told him I didn't know how he did it. I died three times before noon.

If nothing else, it's certainly helping me gain some more upper body strength. Didn't help that I finished a brutal workout about 30 minutes before doing the garden, so my body was already fatigued.

Got it. Other than some kind of ramp, like plywood, against one of the PVC walls to help out, I got nothin' .

That is going to be really nice when it's all done.

Well, all 88 bags of mulch and 35 bags of potting soil have been moved to the backyard. I am pretty sure I won’t be able to move for the next couple of days, but it’s done.

I ended up doing all 88 bags of mulch, and the final 4 bags of potting soil all today.

Well, all 88 bags of mulch and 35 bags of potting soil have been moved to the backyard. I am pretty sure I won’t be able to move for the next couple of days, but it’s done.

I ended up doing all 88 bags of mulch, and the final 4 bags of potting soil all today.

Thats some HARD labor

Thats some HARD labor

It was not easy, but having a wheel barrel helped a lot. I was able to load up between 4-6 bags at a time. My quads were screaming while walking backwards trying to move the wheel barrel and hold the top of the bags so they didn’t slide off while I moved from the front of the house to the back.

66 bags of mulch dispersed. I still have 22 bags left, but my back is not letting me do anymore.

I’m kind of excited it’s going to rain all day tomorrow so I’m forced to take a day off. I’m too old for this kind of manual labor. 😂

Last edited:
My dad was very much the green thumb guy, I am not. Anyone have any suggestions for ground cover that spreads and is low maintenence? I've heard creeping phlox, and I bought some Scottish moss? Any other suggestions?

One of my favorites finally open up! Woodland Bottlebrush, spring has arrived.
IMG_0199.JPG
Also the wife's Josephs Coat climbing rose's catching fire :love:
IMG_0195.JPG

The patio garden done and doing well, 4 different peppers, green bell, sweet red's. jalapeno and bananas

IMG_0204.JPG
wife's favorite candy land cherry tomatoes'
IMG_0205.JPG
cucumber's 1hybrid and 2 burpless
IMG_0206.JPG

Back