A late snow, while my peach trees are in full bloom, and my apple trees are just starting to bloom... So I woke up early, got out the leaf blower, and blew off the snow from the trees. A little crazy sure, but I'm bound and determined to now let a late snow ruin my peach harvest for the 2nd year in a row!!

My raised beds just showed up!

I was thinking about keeping critters out of my garden by connecting a CD player with a Mike Stone CD to a motion detector. But I'm afraid it might kill the plants.

Nice! What's going to go in them?
Looks like tomatoes mostly. It was going to be a mix of items but all of those seedlings outgrew their starter pots so those first plants took up the space in the large planters that would have been for tomatoes.

Looks like tomatoes mostly. It was going to be a mix of items but all of those seedlings outgrew their starter pots so those first plants took up the space in the large planters that would have been for tomatoes.
Nice. Always difficult timing seedlings and planting in Ohio!! I have the same issue, some are ready to get outside, but the weather isn't cooperating. I usually don't plan on tomatoes outside until after Memorial Day, but my seedlings decided to grow like crazy this year and are outgrowing their space.

Was checking my peach tree earlier, and I have some little peaches starting to grow. Excited, as some late snow and frost threatened the blooms, so happy to have some on the tree! Also lots of little apples growing too, with more blooms opening still.

Strawberries are starting to set some fruit, and raspberries just starting to flower. Been a cold May so far, but I'm looking forward to warmer months and enjoying the fruits of labor!

We had a peach tree in Michigan. A cold hearty variety that was awesome! I miss it.

And yes, all my seedlings took off early this year. The kale and spinach has been able to handle the cold snap we’ve had in Ohio but the tomatoes are still inside. The bigger ones may make the raised beds if I get them filled this weekend.

One of two fruit trees may have survived, small tree so needs some serious growth before it will produce.

Strawberries have gone mental with all the rain/moisture we've had lately and garlic from a failed larger plant last year have shown up.

Kale and a cucumber plant in as well, herbs on the go and will be picking up tomatoes soon to go in

Mrs garden is already producing goodies.

Zucchini and squash, peppers and beans, have already been harvested. It’s pretty satisfying to have goodies from the garden on your dinner plate.

Last week, she got a truck to dump some mulch. We’re gonna be shoveling that for a while, as she is working in the flower beds and her garden.

8649f247d0b188bf1c9d32b06cb90583.jpg

I’m really proud of her

406a90c1f633054d6b5a338cd9a33b1f.jpg

the stuff on this end, is the late summer harvest stuff: cantaloupe and watermelon. Cucumber is climbing the trellises. Peppers, tomatoes and squash are towards the end, with okra at the very end.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Garden mostly done.

Fence in.

15yds of 1:1 compost/top soil. 5yds wood chips (so far).

Most seedlings in the ground.

Worth it in the end though.

Weird. Wont let me upload photo. Oh well.

I started planting a veggie garden maybe 10 years ago. There is just no comparison! Especially if you get your soil right. This has made tomatoes a "seasonal" veggie (and yes it know it's technically a fruit) for me. I refuse to buy a tomato from a grocery store! They taste like cardboard! When my homegrowns are done, tomatoes are done!

Nothing like going down cellar and bringing up really good food into the kitchen.

I started planting a veggie garden maybe 10 years ago. There is just no comparison! Especially if you get your soil right. This has made tomatoes a "seasonal" veggie (and yes it know it's technically a fruit) for me. I refuse to buy a tomato from a grocery store! They taste like cardboard! When my homegrowns are done, tomatoes are done!

Nothing like going down cellar and bringing up really good food into the kitchen.
It's a labor of love, and my tastebuds might benefit the most!

Starting to get the first of our cut flowers for the year. Lots of peonies, which are my wife's favorite. Planting the rest of my seedlings during the next few days. Finishing my trellis for the cucamelons, so I can plant those seeds! Strawberries arent too far off. Fun times ahead!

Dang rabbits chewed up the tomatos and pepper plants my buddy gave me... he put in a green house last year and started them from seed. I just planted them last week and they looked good.

Mrs garden is doing amazing

We’ve already had zucchini and squash, she made her first batch of pickles yesterday with the cucumbers.

Tomatoes are growing, beans are doing good. Okra, watermelon, and cantaloupe is flowering

4563a0afa228c001ee710e2e2f31ef71.jpg

Watermelon and cantaloupe, cucumbers in the background

f89dadcd5f7c71660b9e8efd30db4033.jpg
squash

b451f636f988f5215816a8b57420a693.jpg
tomato

40d1ff0b78f14d101814ce0bc81c87d8.jpg
zucchini

9035a8948e697c2ce0cca64587665e74.jpg
beans

43dec4c2a876e30a4c5bad9135084d72.jpg
okra

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Over the past week I managed to get the gardens put in, the wife planted all her pots, and we spread a load of mulch around to tidy up some areas.

Had to take a large tree down in the fall, and it left us with a large empty area in the yard that will become the kids play area.
Before:
20210528_162422.jpg
20210528_162441.jpg
20210528_162259.jpg
After:
20210529_143948.jpg
20210529_143951.jpg
20210529_143959.jpg

Got the cucamelon trellis refurbished and seeds planted!

20210529_101922.jpg

I think gardening is very cool. This is a good relationship with nature. I don't quite understand why you say that you hate nature. How can you hate it at all?
I also really like to dig in my garden after work. I mostly grow flowers. There are also a few strawberry bushes. Flowers are my special love. I love when they bloom, and my whole yard is transformed.
When I am invited to various events, I do not like to pick my flowers. I buy already plucked ones. I usually buy using the bloom and wild discount code. I don't see the point in killing my flowers, especially if there are flower shops. I like to enjoy the flowers in the garden more.

Last edited:
Need to tidy up but we are up and operational!

76DB363E-AFF6-4E9B-ADDE-9D80EBFDE42D.jpeg

Was checking my peach tree earlier, and I have some little peaches starting to grow. Excited, as some late snow and frost threatened the blooms, so happy to have some on the tree!

do you know what variety of peach tree you you have?

I think that is going to be next year’s addition

This is my first time having a garden in TN, and compared to my garden in Florida this one is very slow growing. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but my neighbor said her garden is the same way this year, she thinks it’s because our temps have been all over the place.

Things are happening, just much slower than I am used to.

C8FACD79-AEF7-4D16-87B4-0E098756A156.jpeg

D19154CF-900A-409F-A5DD-87BA4CBFF988.jpeg

1D9FFBC0-5866-40C4-B162-19BD9BE95083.jpeg

Finally got plants in the ground today. We were not as motivated this year. Most of our stuff was unlabeled, so it’ll be a surprise!

Back