do you know what variety of peach tree you you have?

I think that is going to be next year’s addition
I have Red Haven. Great juicy peach!

Whoa, will have to try those. Thoughts on where to find them?
I got them from here:

Our wildflower butterfly and hummingbird garden the kids helped me plant this Spring. Really popping with color right now!
20210701_170541.jpg

I said no vines this year. Mystery squash from Mom’s house ended up being vines. They are trying to murder all our other plants.
3EE576B3-F6A9-4BB8-BE37-65A8C56C43C4.jpeg

You can learn to control those things. The first year I grew cucumbers in my garden was pandemonium! I got lots of cukes, but what a tangled mess! I thought that maybe they might respond to trellising, so over the Winter I Googled "trellising cucumbers". Found quite a few vids showing it, and also learned what nodes and growth points are about! This was the most important thing!

It seems that a vine's primary purpose is to try to take over the planet! Thus, you have to cut off every growth point that you don't want to develop into a new offshoot.

First rewards from the garden! This fatty was hiding from us 😬
1626649413793.jpeg

What the heck am I supposed to do with this thing?! It’s roughly the size of a small dinner plate and I don’t even know what it is. Never planting mystery squash again!
EECDBF10-C891-447E-B8EF-1F82968C39C4.jpeg

My wife registered to show at the National Dahlia show in Ohio in September.
She has over 100 Dahlia plants in the backyard and goes them for competition.

My wife registered to show at the National Dahlia show in Ohio in September.
She has over 100 Dahlia plants in the backyard and goes them for competition.
That's awesome, and a lot of Dahlias. I had about a dozen plants last year, tried to harvest and keep the tubers over winter, but they dried out. Only got 2 to come up this year :(. Need to figure out a better way to store them this winter.

What part of Ohio is that show in?

That's awesome, and a lot of Dahlias. I had about a dozen plants last year, tried to harvest and keep the tubers over winter, but they dried out. Only got 2 to come up this year :(. Need to figure out a better way to store them this winter.

What part of Ohio is that show in?
In Wooster.

And my wife saves them in vermiculite in Styrofoam containers (Think Omaha Steaks containers)

Mystery squash doubled in size so we cut it off. Looks like maybe a pattypan squash. 5 zucchini’s and a pepper this week, summer harvest is in full swing!
C89935B8-0313-42FA-BAC3-996552EC48F8.jpeg

Surprise carrots!!! (We didn’t plant any this year)
F0D62E26-A090-4026-BCDC-69DBBF980186.jpeg

Garden is growing fast with our current warm, wet weather trend. Corn is taller than me, and we have squash out our ears.FB_IMG_1627924064225.jpgFB_IMG_1627924056383.jpg

Sweet corn from the garden, doesn't get much better than that!
So true. I can't wait. Bees are doing there job at pollenating, ears are starting to come. Salsa garden on the far left in bottom pic is starting to produce as well. Tomatoes, onions, green peppers, jalapeno's.....Can't wait for the salsa that'll come from that too.

So true. I can't wait. Bees are doing there job at pollenating, ears are starting to come. Salsa garden on the far left in bottom pic is starting to produce as well. Tomatoes, onions, green peppers, jalapeno's.....Can't wait for the salsa that'll come from that too.
In the past, to help with corn pollination, I've gone out and given the stalks a light shake once a night. This will help with the pollination from the tassel to the silk on the ear of the corn.

What the heck am I supposed to do with this thing?! It’s roughly the size of a small dinner plate and I don’t even know what it is. Never planting mystery squash again!
RealPretendPsychic's gourd collaboration:

1627930094295.jpeg

Garden time in the morning before work helps me ease into the day. The corn did not grow too wall, but I have my own vines to tangle with. Charentais melon vines have begun their rampage. Tomatoes galore, too.
Sad corn:
1627931146422.jpeg

Charentais (similar to cantaloupe):

1627931183828.jpeg

The shed and back porch growing in:
1627931259069.jpeg

1627931280330.jpeg

For those counting at home, in addition to our zucchini we now have 5 different kinds of squash growing. So much for just zucchini, butternut, and spaghetti squash. Surprise garden!!! 🤷‍♂️
2E0C2333-76C2-47CC-B276-A0610559A7A5.jpeg4FB409ED-F0F8-4265-84D4-AC4C9A92EE8D.jpegBA9C257E-4F27-4EBB-BF0F-D3A69168F9C7.jpeg

Sweet corn from the garden, doesn't get much better than that!

In the past, to help with corn pollination, I've gone out and given the stalks a light shake once a night. This will help with the pollination from the tassel to the silk on the ear of the corn.

So true! Bees don't pollinate either corn or tomatoes. Both plants are self pollinating. Now peppers, cukes, beans, that stuff needs bees. I've seen corn fields where all the tassels have been enclosed in paper bags twist tied at the bottom. I figure they are trying to produce a new hybrid, and want to stop the self pollination. Pollinate with tassels from another source.

I tried several times to grow sweet corn, and it was not successful. So, I gave it up since there are so many places near me that grow outstanding sweet corn!

Back