Cucamelons have been producing a bowl of these every 2 days for the past 2 weeks. If you like cucumbers, you would enjoy these. You can easily pack them, eat a handful without having to cut them, and they are just so fun!

20210810_092955.jpg

Cucamelons have been producing a bowl of these every 2 days for the past 2 weeks. If you like cucumbers, you would enjoy these. You can easily pack them, eat a handful without having to cut them, and they are just so fun!

View attachment 9021315

Can't say that I ever heard of a cucamelon. Although if they taste like a cucumber with a tinge of sourness (at least according to Wikipedia), I would probably like them.

View attachment 9021315
Gawd I regret not planting those this year! Wife wants a better planned garden next year and these are on the list!

Gawd I regret not planting those this year! Wife wants a better planned garden next year and these are on the list!
They are nice too because I have a small trellis and these climb right up. Basically a smaller cucumber vine that takes up less room. I'll take a picture of my trellis next time I'm out. It's a simple A frame that takes up just a few sq. ft., plus you can grow under it. Win-win.

My fig tree is out of control, I cannot keep up with its production. I have 6 gallon size freezer bags filled with them in my freezer because I didn't know what else to do with them. A huge bowl in my fridge, and filling up bowls like this almost daily now. I keep trying to give them away to neighbors or anyone who is willing to take some. They are delicious, but my goodness one tree produces a lot!

IMG_0648.jpeg

So you're saying figs are the zucchini of the fruit world?

So you're saying figs are the zucchini of the fruit world?

YES! Every day I walk past it and there are 25-50 more figs ready to pick.

I have a tomato plant in my garden in the backyard that's trying to take over the back garden. I really need to go back there and clean things up but it's been so hot and I'm a little intimidated by it haha.

I was going to write this, virtually word for word.

This is not the first time this has happened.

One of us, probably both of us, should be very worried.

I was going to write this, virtually word for word.

This is not the first time this has happened.

One of us, probably both of us, should be very worried.
Hopefully you guys both give them a try. They are a lot of fun and taste good, plus they stay compact on a trellis.

Can't say that I ever heard of a cucamelon. Although if they taste like a cucumber with a tinge of sourness (at least according to Wikipedia), I would probably like them.
They are great! I only get half though because my daughter eats the other half. We always have to split them evenly, she makes sure of it :ROFLMAO:

YES! Every day I walk past it and there are 25-50 more figs ready to pick.

I have a tomato plant in my garden in the backyard that's trying to take over the back garden. I really need to go back there and clean things up but it's been so hot and I'm a little intimidated by it haha.
This is me right now. I took my eyes off the tomatoe plants for a few days and then was gone for a long weekend and they currently look like an alien invasion. Trimmed some over lunch yesterday but lost interest real quick with the heat.

This is me right now. I took my eyes off the tomatoe plants for a few days and then was gone for a long weekend and they currently look like an alien invasion. Trimmed some over lunch yesterday but lost interest real quick with the heat.

Alien invasion is a perfect way to describe it. It's literally taking over all my pepper plants, my other two tomato plants and all my herbs. I've never had a tomato plant grow like this before. It truly is an alien invasion.

I should have used my hedge trimmer to open up space over the carrots! Next year the tomatoes get their own bed or solo pots while the rest can get the other bed.

Some photos of wife’s garden;
100 Show Dahlias:
8426C5A3-F28F-4D9B-AA28-ABEF2B240FB9.jpeg
Pot Tubers:
8E2560B8-96EF-4C42-8713-881B7139BDBE.jpeg
Other Parts of the Garden
22A7E268-3700-4F05-B7F6-B7EAC4426A75.jpegDF118B6C-7A85-441B-918B-97E07AF14AD4.jpegCDCD8F7D-AC9A-42EE-B124-84EAEE3284B0.jpegFEF03B6E-FC28-4591-AFE7-B5EA64220A6F.jpegF7CE9CAD-7B88-4C50-B70D-540B25D1683D.jpeg

Grab a handful of these guys to munch every morning. They have done great this year!

20210814_130858.jpg

20210814_130833.jpg

Looks like you planted on the flatter side?
I think that's just how I was holding my phone while taking the picture. The trellis comes up at the same angle to the top. Only one side of seeds germinated though... which was interesting. I think my little helpers may have overwatered, or were a little too overzealous when pulling weeds elminating one side. But it's fine, because had they all grown, it would have been cucamelon chaos!!

Over the past year I have found that I really enjoy gardening. Which is a huge surprise to me because I have an ongoing hate/hate relationship with nature. I hate nature and it hates me.

But for some reason I really enjoy gardening. Mostly growing my own herbs and vegetables.

Now that the weather is cooling down here I can start my garden again, so I just picked up all the necessary items and will spend the day getting my garden together. I'm pretty excited about it.

With all that said, do we have any other gardeners here? If so what do you enjoy most or what items do you grow?

I just clicked back on here, and re-read your OP. I think I can answer some of your concerns.

First of all, gardening, nor agriculture in general, has very little to do with "nature". We used to be "forest people". Then, about 11-12,000 years ago, we discovered agriculture, and began to cut down the forests. Thus, we began disassembling the immunological networks of nature, which are largely sited in mushroom mycelium! We've destroyed a lot of their habitat.

I would advise you to go to YouTube, and search "Joe Rogan Experience" and I believe it's number 1205, where he interviews a man named Paul Stamets, a mycologist. In otherwords, a guy who studies fungi. Some absolutely mind boggling revelations in there! It is absolutely amazing what mycologists have found out recently, because the field is attracting so much more attention. Also, look up the movie "Fantastic Fungi" which you can rent online. That how I discovered Stamets in the first place.

I just clicked back on here, and re-read your OP. I think I can answer some of your concerns.

First of all, gardening, nor agriculture in general, has very little to do with "nature". We used to be "forest people". Then, about 11-12,000 years ago, we discovered agriculture, and began to cut down the forests. Thus, we began disassembling the immunological networks of nature, which are largely sited in mushroom mycelium! We've destroyed a lot of their habitat.

I would advise you to go to YouTube, and search "Joe Rogan Experience" and I believe it's number 1205, where he interviews a man named Paul Stamets, a mycologist. In otherwords, a guy who studies fungi. Some absolutely mind boggling revelations in there! It is absolutely amazing what mycologists have found out recently, because the field is attracting so much more attention. Also, look up the movie "Fantastic Fungi" which you can rent online. That how I discovered Stamets in the first place.

I appreciate the response, but the post you are quoting is from 2015.

Flowers from the Indiana Dahlia show that my wife is showing at:51EB99E6-FAF5-4076-A2C8-D5D98A644F56.jpegEECAF043-A4BE-46DD-A806-5AF8AF41CCF5.jpegA010B0E0-D20B-4F7D-BAC4-AC50D6B689E5.jpeg

I appreciate the response, but the post you are quoting is from 2015.

Fine, but it's on the first page of the topic. It's not like I did a deep dive. and I would still make the same recommendations to you.

Just back from the American Dahlia Society National Show in Wooster OH on Saturday.
We bought 60 blooms and 2 won Green Ribbons for best of class in the Novice Division

1631540112292.png

Began to pull some of my garden earlier this week. Cukes and peppers are all harvested and done. Only thing left are tomatoes and green beans, but they are still cooking like crazy! Both have tons of hanging fruit, and both did exceptionally well this year. Basically, a bumper crop for the whole garden. It's been a good year.

Began to pull some of my garden earlier this week. Cukes and peppers are all harvested and done. Only thing left are tomatoes and green beans, but they are still cooking like crazy! Both have tons of hanging fruit, and both did exceptionally well this year. Basically, a bumper crop for the whole garden. It's been a good year.
I’ve been a lot of the same. The tomatoes went nuts and are still going. I still have new flowers popping! I’m kinda over tomatoes at this point but hate to pull the plug.

I know what you mean. Tomatoes have become a seasonal food for me. Once my homegrowns are done, I am done with tomatoes. I refuse to buy those tasteless things they sell in the grocery stores!

Back