I didn't know that, but it explains why I've had luck with them.

My dad the farmer gave me that tip when diagnosing my sisters massive tomato plants that stayed green for ever. (She lives in Akron)

Tore a Lilac out this spring, and has opened up a little patch for another garden in the yard, so super excited for that.

Covid unfortunately has put a hamper on the wife being able to do anything gardening wise ....... well that and being 7 months pregnant.

Onions finally went in today, and all we have to put in the ground right now is seeds. Sunflowers, Peas, Carrots, Lettuce. Trying to figure out what to put where, and what to keep away from other things is confusing lol.

Having a 2 year old outside digging out everything I am planting doesn't help either.

Got all our plants in over the weekend. Tomatoes, peppers, herbs, zucchini, cucumber, and I went rogue and got carrot, pumpkin, watermelon, and corn seed. Not overly optimistic as our garden sits on the east side of the house (first full year here). Regardless it was a fun day in the backyard so we’ll see how it goes!

We built a nice raised garden bed alongside our house Last Fall so now we ready to get a good growing season in. Wife is head farmer, which hasn't worked well yet, but i'm better in a support roll.

Got lots of herbs (be careful with Basil, stuff takes OFF), cucumbers, Eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes.

Got all our plants in over the weekend. Tomatoes, peppers, herbs, zucchini, cucumber, and I went rogue and got carrot, pumpkin, watermelon, and corn seed. Not overly optimistic as our garden sits on the east side of the house (first full year here). Regardless it was a fun day in the backyard so we’ll see how it goes!
If you plant corn plant them in a block instead of a few long rows. They will pollinate better in a block. Nothing better than fresh corn! Here's my patch from a couple years ago!

IMG_20160728_210329529.jpg

If you plant corn plant them in a block instead of a few long rows. They will pollinate better in a block. Nothing better than fresh corn! Here's my patch from a couple years ago!

View attachment 8944181
I was allotted a 3’x3’ block for my corn experiment. 😆 The seeds cost $1.50 so I really don’t even care if I get a harvest, I just want them to germinate!

Planted a lot of our garden this past weekend. Lots of flowers for cutting. 20 dahlia tubers, 20 + anemone and ranaculous corms, plus various others. Some tomatoes and pepper plants too. Strawberries are coming along nicely, and the apple trees are in full bloom. Cant wait to see the progress each week!

I was allotted a 3’x3’ block for my corn experiment. 😆 The seeds cost $1.50 so I really don’t even care if I get a harvest, I just want them to germinate!
Haha that'll work! Cant wait to see their progress!

peony.JPG

At the front of the house we have peonies,roses and bright colour.

At the back, I am developing a veggie patch. We moved in late last year, so starting from scratch. Lettuce,carrots,cabbage,celery,peppers and tomatoes are in the greenhouse and I will be digging out a veggie border for potatoes at the end of the summer.

My roses are going nuts
roses may 2020.jpg

A friend of my wife gave her what she said was a zucchini plant. It's growing a couple watermelons. She's never been able to keep anything alive and now she refers to it as her crops and is calling herself a farmer.

View attachment 8945602

At the front of the house we have peonies,roses and bright colour.

At the back, I am developing a veggie patch. We moved in late last year, so starting from scratch. Lettuce,carrots,cabbage,celery,peppers and tomatoes are in the greenhouse and I will be digging out a veggie border for potatoes at the end of the summer.
What kind of peony is that? I planted an Itoh peony last year that is just about to give me the first flowers of the year.

Paeonia lutea var. ludlowii

Not sure as we inherited it, but a tree peony that comes out yellow is the one above.

Paeonia lutea var. ludlowii

Not sure as we inherited it, but a tree peony that comes out yellow is the one above.
Looks great!

Installed some irrigation to the raised beds. Much easier to turn on a hose than carry loads of water all summer long!

Pumpkins, watermelon, and corn have germinated! Possibly carrots and lettuce too. A google search tomorrow will help me determine if weeds or not 😆

Pumpkins, watermelon, and corn have germinated! Possibly carrots and lettuce too. A google search tomorrow will help me determine if weeds or not 😆
Awesome! So exciting when the little guys start to pop up! I too have to look at pictures to know whether it is friend or foe!

Plum tree is bearing huge amount of fruit. I have thinned out where possible, but there will be a couple of freezer bags and a lot of plum crumble. I now have a recipe for plum ice cream and plum sorbet...….

I love plum sorbet and this is the world champion

Some pics of the raised beds with new irrigation.

20200530_183805.jpg

Attachments

• 20200530_183808.jpg
    20200530_183808.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 1
And some of the first flowers from our cut garden. Peony on the left and middle, ranunculus on the right. Hopefull we will have fresh cut flowers now until first frost in the fall, so around Oct. or so.
20200531_091232.jpg

First tomato of the season! Cannot wait for mater sammich.

Attachments

• 71BFB894-BC7D-4FEC-AF89-5A4B9B9003CA.jpeg
    71BFB894-BC7D-4FEC-AF89-5A4B9B9003CA.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 3
Getting a bowl of strawberries just about every day now.
20200611_121504.jpg

So I made it through 7 pages of the hobbies portion of the forum and this seems to be the place that I can best get a diagnosis. I have a tree in my backyard that yesterday my wife told me looks like something is eating it. I went back and looked and it looks like she is right. I went to the local nursery and unfortunately the person that I got to help me seemed as though she possibly didn't know much about trees as she pointed me to a general fungicide while saying that it may help. Wasn't really wanting to spend $40 on something that "may" help. Talking with my boss he said to get an insecticide to clear out the bug and then find a pruning sealer to cover the hole. I thought that could work but I would double check with the internet, specifically the THP forum as it seems like we typically have a "pro" in every type of field or industry. What do you think I should do?

IMG_3888.JPEGIMG_3889.JPEGIMG_3890.JPEG

That looks serious. What kind of tree is it? If it's an ash tree, that could be emerald ash borer which may mean the tree is a goner.

It may be possible to save it with an injection of insecticide. Figure $300-400.

You may want to try your local cooperative extension or an arborist, who should give you a free diagnosis. We use Davey for that kind of stuff and pruning,m even though they are a little pricey on some things. They have never done a bad job in our neighborhood. But I would never use them to cut down a tree - they are the highest price for that by far.

But if you like the tree, I wouldn't waste any time getting a diagnosis. I know all this because our Marshall's Seedless Ash has EAB and we are getting the injection any day now.

Last edited:
That looks serious. What kind of tree is it?

You may want to try your local cooperative extension or an arborist, who should give you a free diagnosis. We use Davey for that kind of stuff and pruning,m even though they are a little pricey on some things. They have never done a bad job in our neighborhood. But I would never use them to cut down a tree - they are the highest price for that by far.

Uhmm...It's the tree in the picture haha! Sorry I'm not very good at this kind of stuff. I searched through my pictures and I found this picture and this is the only picture that I can actually see the tree in.
Capture.PNG

Back