Garmin hack - need a Geek answer

TLuke

Reaction score
Handicap
None
With the recent Garmin hack, do I risk my golf watch or home computer for a virus when I plug my watch in for updates?

With the recent Garmin hack, do I risk my golf watch or home computer for a virus when I plug my watch in for updates?
I don't think so. Garmin themselves were under a ransomware attack. I do not think this will affect customers in this way. Definitely an eye opener though.

No, you will be fine. For added piece of mind just make sure you have an up to date virus checker on your machine

You're fine. Hacks don't work like that. Coding to hack their servers would be unable to do anything on your PC and vice versa.

Thanks guys! I was worried about the same thing as TLuke

As an IT professional, I agree with the others.
You "should" have no problems. I say should, because there are no absolutes when it comes to things like this.
Just make sure your AV is up to date on your pc/laptop. Your AV is only as good as it's last update.

As an IT professional as well I agree with others. Ransom Ware attacks are usually specific to the files and directories at the place attacked. They do not go out and spread to others. We had one on 12/24/2019. One of trusted vendors who managed our system patching were compromised and sent the infected file to us while patching our servers. Took 2 days of working 20 hours each day to get 90% back and running and another month for the last 10%.

It was horrible

I updated my GPS unit for my bike and while it was slow I've not experienced any problems.

before their website came back online, just out of the blue, a menu came up that garmin wanted permission for my pictures and mic on my phone. Not sure why they would need that, seemed sketchy, so I decline the permission. Hope its not needed.

Back