Garmin server connection problems, any way around it?

Daddio

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My Approach S60 watch works fine on the course but I've been unable to upload my last few rounds into Garmin Golf afterwards. Likewise my (triathlete) wife can't load any of her runs, swims, bikes etc... from her Fenix. She's freaking out about possibly losing some data more than I am but I wondered is any other Garmin users have figured out a way to get around their current issues? Last several days their website has this message on it : We are currently experiencing an outage that affects Garmin.com and Garmin Connect. This outage also affects our call centers, and we are currently unable to receive any calls, emails or online chats. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and apologize for this inconvenience. Click here for more details.

Nope, they are completely down for now.

Yeah there have been issues. It completely lost 13 holes of my round on Thursday. Fortunately I keep a scorecard with my stats as well.

They have been targeted by ransomware hackers who have lo led their systems a d are demanding mo eg to unlock

Every once in a while, there's a major glitch in a city and it can take down half of a large metropolis and Garmin might just be in a dead zone and can't do much about it. My mind goes there since most of their infrastructure is all down sounds like. Or a complete IT meltdown and subsequent restore.
Have seen it working in IT and call centers. Usually like a major switch/relay goes down. Add civil unrest and weather events and nothing is really "guaranteed" as it once was it seems. We've had major 911 outages, etc in our cities here. Sometimes emergency DNS routes are setup if its going to be a looong time.

I think this is pretty interesting considering how long they have been around and how long "disaster recovery" has been the norm for IT plans.
I see Kansas as their HQ. Lots of civil unrest in KC and at the Kansas border right now I saw on the news this morning. Possible industrial sabotage as well. Fitbit and others are looking to make inroads with the COVID and tracking it all. Lots of $$$.

My uncle lives on the E. side of St Paul and white supremicists used generators off the back of pickup trucks and overloaded all the relays on that side of town a while back. His phone was out for a week and I had to go buy him a cell phone. Nothing on the news of it at all. Tens of millions in damages to the phone grids.

Last edited:
From one of my computer and network security mailing lists:
Garmin Mobile App Unavailable Due to Apparent Ransomware Attack
(July 23, 2020)
Garmin’s mobile application and related services are down due to a probable ransomware attack. The company has not acknowledged that it was hit with ransomware, but employees have talked about it on social media. Garmin has informed its staff that the company will be offline for planned maintenance on July 24 and 25.
Nothing you can do about it other than wait it out.

I was just poking around this morning reading about it, I've seen a workaround posted in a few places. Connect your Garmin to your computer, go into the watch and download the .fit file for the day(s) you have activities you want to save. After the outage is over, upload them back to your watch and they should propagate to Garmin's servers when your watch syncs.

(Not vouching for the accuracy of the information, just passing along what I've read. It makes sense though, and sounds like it should work.)

Meltdown courtesy of Fitbit and others. Bank on it.

I was just poking around this morning reading about it, I've seen a workaround posted in a few places. Connect your Garmin to your computer, go into the watch and download the .fit file for the day(s) you have activities you want to save. After the outage is over, upload them back to your watch and they should propagate to Garmin's servers when your watch syncs.

(Not vouching for the accuracy of the information, just passing along what I've read. It makes sense though, and sounds like it should work.)

This is good info. Might have to try this. I upload all my runs (watch autosyncs with phone), but have obviously not been able to lately. I'd hate to lose all that data since I'm a data geek.

Of all times for Garmin to go down when I hit some great drives yesterday and came home and wanted to upload and look at the stats and the error comes up....uggghhh.:banghead:

As long as your "node" is properly retaining its data, upload should be no problemo at a later date. Check your storage space on them and get rid of anything you can if that's possible for local storage on the device until it can be uploaded. Had to do things like this with bank teller platforms, etc. Long as there was HD space, and the computer didn't go down, we could run for quite a while with locally stored data if we had to and then upload later. Usually this data is really miniscule, so it doesn't take up much space, but these devices may not have a lot of local storage on them?

Man, if they're having to re-build everything, it could be a while. So many devices on networks now and it can infiltrate it all. So glad I got out when I did!

As long as your "node" is properly retaining its data, upload should be no problemo at a later date. Check your storage space on them and get rid of anything you can if that's possible for local storage on the device until it can be uploaded. Had to do things like this with bank teller platforms, etc. Long as there was HD space, and the computer didn't go down, we could run for quite a while with locally stored data if we had to and then upload later. Usually this data is really miniscule, so it doesn't take up much space, but these devices may not have a lot of local storage on them?

Man, if they're having to re-build everything, it could be a while. So many devices on networks now and it can infiltrate it all. So glad I got out when I did!
Worse thing is if their data got compromised that could be a huge problem, but hopefully they are ok on that end.

Worse thing is if their data got compromised that could be a huge problem, but hopefully they are ok on that end.
I'll be changing my password after their servers come back up, just to be safe.

It's funny, I just had to do a system restore on my laptop a couple days ago. Only time in many years of ownership.
This is an IT disaster for them. If (IF) they had good backups, maybe a day of data lost? If they know what they're doing, they could narrow it down to when it got in, and just lose a few hours or even minutes with real-time backups. So many devices though. Uggh. It would be hard to not draw a line in the sand and just start fresh from a known safe backdate. Yuck. If it infected all the user devices? Have to do a push wipe and restore on down to those even. Yuck. So glad I'm OUT!

Ouch, some of this sounds pretty bad

Yeah the ransomware is asking for $10 million.

Garmin's servers are back up as of today. And they show all my activity tracking, golf rounds, etc. from during the outage, so it looks like they were saved and successfully uploaded to the servers from my watch. (y)

Yeah the ransomware is asking for $10 million.
Bold moves by the hackers :unsure: seems not too many stockholders are mad ... earnings on Weds....

I'm still getting a system down msg in the appl. Bush league for a company this big and around this long.

I'm still getting a system down msg in the appl. Bush league for a company this big and around this long.

Im still getting it also.

Still can't get to Garminconnect.,

Quit/restart the app and see if it helps. The 'system down' message went away for me around last Tuesday or Wednesday, on both the mobile app and website. Functionality was restored on Monday, but the error message persisted for a couple days.

Back