Gary Player Son Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I find answering on my phone hard and put my reply to your question inside the quote line. I will see if I can edit it to make sense.
haha it's all good, I was just confirming so I could respond.

I know I am not among the popular oppion here. But I do not remember Gary player doing that. It appeared to be a solo act of his kid. He never pointed to it, nodded to the sleeve of balls or hand a "wonder what ball I am playing remark" so in that light I would not even say that he reached the I knock out in the third sign level.

Again I feel this is all about optics. Look how this thread has turned into a mess very quickly about underlying race tones and South Africa and respect to people and inferring that race could have been a motive. That is what ANCG is trying to get in front of. Is the optics of politics.
I would still argue AN would have dropped the hammer on anyone for this display of classless free advertising regardless of who was hitting the tee shot. They are all about optics and I can’t imagine any scenario where what Player’s son did would be acceptable.

I would still argue AN would have dropped the hammer on anyone for this display of classless free advertising regardless of who was hitting the tee shot. They are all about optics and I can’t imagine any scenario where what Player’s son did would be acceptable.
i will slightly disagree with this. if they were so worried about "optics" then they might have thought about the tourney itself, since they were getting tons of pressure because of the voting bill. but they basically said go pound sand to those people. i personally think they wanted to save some face with all of this nonsense and player got the hammer put down on him.

We have asked once to keep the politics out of the thread.
Please guys, we would hate to have to close a thread like this.

Isn't he an investor in the company? Not sure they would pay him for the free advertising.

Regardless of if they paid him, he was hoping to boost profits that ultimately would return to investors... I think that is the biggest reason the CEO/CFO whoever could come out and say yeah we never agreed to this.

I too had met Wayne Player a number of times. He always struck me as the type of guy that after you shake his hand you check your wrist to make sure you still have your watch.

I will say this though. At one time he was a pretty good golfer-having qualified for both the US and British Opens.

As a marshall and inside the ropes of the old GHO now Travelers. I had a meet up with Wayne Player about 30 years ago. He's just not that bright and has had a path of golden bricks laid out by Dad. Gary throws a big shadow and Wayne endeavors to escape it but can't and tries stuff to endeavor to add value......but there just isn't any. This is all about Wayne......period.

I have no idea if Wayne acted on his own, or in partnership with his dad.

However, having watched Gary for more decades than I care to recount, my observations would be:

1) He has been consistent with his physical fitness, and the results are admirable.
2) He has accomplished an incredible hall of fame career.
3) He is a pompous ass.
4) His self promoting and opinions about everything and everyone piss me off.
5) He has a WELL KNOWN history of playing fast and loose with the rules of golf.
6) I don't like the man and never will.

I have no idea if Wayne acted on his own, or in partnership with his dad.

However, having watched Gary for more decades than I care to recount, my observations would be:

1) He has been consistent with his physical fitness, and the results are admirable.
2) He has accomplished an incredible hall of fame career.
3) He is a pompous ass.
4) His self promoting and opinions about everything and everyone piss me off.
5) He has a WELL KNOWN history of playing fast and loose with the rules of golf.
6) I don't like the man and never will.

This kinda summarizes Gary Player to a T. Tremendous accomplishments on the course, but man if you thought what Patrick Reed did was egregious.. lol

Thats not an accurate depiction of Gary Player. Not at all. His son is shady though.
I think you better read up on your history. Here is just one article on it. Plenty more out there. Gary Player supposedly "evolved" in his thinking, but it was too little too late.

Let's keep politics and race relations and/or Gary Player's views on them out of this thread please. Thank you.
Why? I think it's relevant to the discussion of the character and make up of Wayne Player that was passed down from Gary Player. That's the problem with society today. No one wants to confront the racism and the sordid history of it that still perpetuates in today's society.

Why? I think it's relevant to the discussion of the character and make up of Wayne Player that was passed down from Gary Player. That's the problem with society today. No one wants to confront the racism and the sordid history of it that still perpetuates in today's society.

Because it's also relevant that people get pretty nasty when discussing politics, to the point of child like name calling and insults. If people could behave, it wouldn't be a problem. But there are more closed threads because of it than are open, so it's just a blanket policy to avoid future headaches.

It’s a THP rule and one of our only ones. There are plenty of places to discuss it, this community will remain political free.

I think you better read up on your history. Here is just one article on it. Plenty more out there. Gary Player supposedly "evolved" in his thinking, but it was too little too late.

Glad we are keeping politics and race out of this....:(

Guys please stop! We don’t want to be forced to close the thread. It’s been civil and a good discussion and we ask for a simple rule to be followed.

There are 9000 places to discuss politics, this will not be 9001.

Glad to hear he was banned. I don't know if he thought it up on his own or someone else told/asked him to...doesn't really matter to me. I also think awkwardly holding a sleeve of golf balls for all to see is different from wearing hats or shirts with logos, or even golf bags with logos.

The REAL question in all of this is this. With all this “free” advertisement than OnCore os getting and possible added revenue with ball sales, will they have a GPS ball out by the end of the year?
This guy bringing the real question! How they have just skipped away from taking all this money from people during a crowd funding and not facing real blowback about it is amazing. In fact, @JB I propose a small change to the BST feedback so that if an item is not sent, you can leave feedback labeled “total OnCore”.

All of that said, this has turned into a total Streisand Effect and OnCore got more press from ANGC complaining about than the actual gorilla marketing event.

Has anyone ever tried these balls? I have never heard of them.
I got a couple of them on my practice green. Never tried em aside from with my putters. They're not particularly soft balls.

Gary is all about Gary. I lost my feel for him when he was rude to Arnie in an interview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look, The man grew up in apartheid SA. Everyone he knew supported it and participated in it and it was his normal. Over time he as you say “evolved”. As did the world, as do we all. He lobbied for lee elder in SA, he lobbied for Lee Elder at Augusta. since his realization and “evolution “ he has done good works. His past is much more complicated than your statement would lead someone to believe. Definitely not saying you should excuse his past. My point is you must look at everything in context, thats the only way to measure the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back