Gary Player Son Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious... Do you actually believe him when he says he "just thought it would be cool for people to see what ball Gary was playing"?

I don't buy that for even one half of one second, based on their connection to the company and checkered past.
If this was the real reason he wanted all to see what ball Gary was playing, he would have gave Lee his moment and then right before Gary went to tee off, he would have pulled out a sleeve and walked over to his dad to hand him a ball, because Gary "forgot to put one in his pocket". I'm with you on this one. There are better ways to do product placement and remain tasteful.

I'm curious... Do you actually believe him when he says he "just thought it would be cool for people to see what ball Gary was playing"?

I don't buy that for even one half of one second, based on their connection to the company and checkered past.

Gary Player wore white/black pants back in the pre-Mandela days.

I know where Player stands on racial issues. I do wonder where Mr. Player stands on the issues in SA today as there are quite a number of violent, horrific attacks against people in his country because of their skin color. I don't hear much from him regarding the current state of affairs.

to advertise the company his family is invested in.
your post seemed to imply something else

"I don't buy that for even one half of one second, based on their connection to the company and checkered past. "

If this was the real reason he wanted all to see what ball Gary was playing, he would have gave Lee his moment and then right before Gary went to tee off, he would have pulled out a sleeve and walked over to his dad to hand him a ball, because Gary "forgot to put one in his pocket". I'm with you on this one. There are better ways to do product placement and remain tasteful.
Yes exactly. You keep the sleeve of balls in the bag, and when Daddy is about to hit, you take the sleeve over to him, pull a ball out, and hand it to him.

...You don't hover the ******* thing behind the person being honored and awkwardly clap with it in your hands.

to advertise the company his family is invested in.

I think I kind of stated that. I definitely know he didn't do it to spite Elder.

I believe him that he appeared to think slinging golf balls was more important than showing respect. Beyond that, I won't speculate, but the lack of respect speaks volumes. Why is it, that such a lack of common decency was displayed? "Who gives a ****..." they're both gone.

your post seemed to imply something else

"I don't buy that for even one half of one second, based on their connection to the company and checkered past. "
I think we're arriving at the same conclusion - I just think his excuse was far too pedestrian. Like it was a happy accident or some nonsense.

How do you know that?
I guess we don't.

But his dad stood pretty firm on apartheid so I am pretty sure his kid shares his views on race. Do I know for sure? I guess not - I don't follow Wayne or his views (I'm guessing they're out there???).

Let's keep politics and race relations and/or Gary Player's views on them out of this thread please. Thank you.

I guess we don't.

But his dad stood pretty firm on apartheid so I am pretty sure his kid shares his views on race. Do I know for sure? I guess not - I don't follow Wayne or his views (I'm guessing they're out there???).
Yeah I have no idea either... I lost interest in what Gary thinks after he called himself a tree hugger (who smells like jet fuel).

I had the displeasure of meeting Wayne Player last October. I was playing an OnCore ball and wearing an OnCore cap at this charity scramble so he was tickled that I was reping the brand. And for disclosure I had done so on purpose. I knew that OnCore was a sponsor of the tournament and I wanted to give them a bit of a nod. Wayne came off as an arrogant douce canoe is the best way I can describe him. He was hocking biltong (a Southern African dried cured meat) that we called jerky. He kept repeating that it is biltong, not jerky. Then he wanted to give swing tips after I shanked my tee shot. I can totally see Wayne doing this without OnCore or Gary knowing he was doing it. I could also see Gary encouraging the product placement as well. Maybe not to the level that Wayne did it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gary told Wayne to get the product seen at all times. Either way, Wayne just solidified that he is a jerk. Not biltong!!
I was just about to tag you in this. It was literally one of the most uncomfortable time on a golf course I have ever had, and I was drinking a cotton candy CBD infused drink with a splash vodka in it at the time. So wrap your head around that for a minute. But the sheer aggressiveness he had about us stopping what we were doing, digging through a rather large event gift bag like a 6 year old trying to get the toy out of a box of frosted flakes, and then demanded that we try it right then and there was enough to make me swear off biltong for the rest of my life. Side note, the way he kept saying made it sound like "bull tongue" which was equally off-putting.

Still an awesome time though, and I would do it again in a minute. But next time I'll just say "no hablo ingles" and move on with my tee shot.

What is OnCore's take on all this? I'm sure, for a brief moment, on Thursday they were probably pretty happy with themselves.

I was just about to tag you in this. It was literally one of the most uncomfortable time on a golf course I have ever had, and I was drinking a cotton candy CBD infused drink with a splash vodka in it at the time. So wrap your head around that for a minute. But the sheer aggressiveness he had about us stopping what we were doing, digging through a rather large event gift bag like a 6 year old trying to get the toy out of a box of frosted flakes, and then demanded that we try it right then and there was enough to make me swear off biltong for the rest of my life. Side note, the way he kept saying made it sound like "bull tongue" which was equally off-putting.

Still an awesome time though, and I would do it again in a minute. But next time I'll just say "no hablo ingles" and move on with my tee shot.
Certainly would do it again. Just hopefully less Wayne Player and more spiked Arnold Palmers & CBD infused cotton candy drinks. They were so good!!

i think what he did was a little over the top but i also think that if he did it while they were introducing Jack, no one would have cared.....BUT in this hyper-sensitive time we live in people will, and did, overreact

Sounds like there’s some hard core Gary Player fans in here LOL. I’ve never met him, but I’m imagining my first encounter would be him challenging me to do 1000 press ups.

i think what he did was a little over the top but i also think that if he did it while they were introducing Jack, no one would have cared.....BUT in this hyper-sensitive time we live in people will, and did, overreact
I don’t know that it would have flown even if they were introducing the last place finisher of the drive, chip, and putt. AN has always been hyper-sensitive...

What is OnCore's take on all this? I'm sure, for a brief moment, on Thursday they were probably pretty happy with themselves.
They reacted, then deleted a bunch of tweets, then wrote a statement.

I mean, I get this to a point, but casting that large of a net is sort of a miss to me. I'm hardly in the hyper sensitive collective, however I do believe very strongly in the idea of respect. Whether or not people agree with the decision and timing to honor Elder at the Masters, it's the lack of respect shown by Player that is so slimy.

Elder certainly deserved this honor. Taking away the spotlight in any fashion is the real story.

Why would the Drive Chip and Putt winners need to be put at the ceremonial tee shot? They already have massive coverage and the ability to experience a place I'll be lucky to even step foot on.

This is about celebrating our former greats and kicking off one of if not the greatest golf event that exists. Why should that change?

I think we have need to change it up. Time to evolve with the times. Have it be like the first pitch. It does not have to be Nolan ryan for 30 years until he is tossing underhand and only making it 15 feet.

I will argue that the D.C.P. kids and the nation AM winners have earned a right to hit one tee shot for their accomplishments of that year. Plus how cool would it be for your kids to see a kid tee off at the masters instead of some old ass millionaire they have zero connection with. They will go out and pretend their next shot is at the masters.

Interesting analogy. I guess the different would be, were you in the background of the fight holding up a sign that said "knockout by the 3rd round". If so, then I think the answer is maybe, dependent on career choice.

I know I am not among the popular oppion here. But I do not remember Gary player doing that. It appeared to be a solo act of his kid. He never pointed to it, nodded to the sleeve of balls or hand a "wonder what ball I am playing remark" so in that light I would not even say that he reached the I knock out in the third sign level.

Again I feel this is all about optics. Look how this thread has turned into a mess very quickly about underlying race tones and South Africa and respect to people and inferring that race could have been a motive. That is what ANCG is trying to get in front of. Is the optics of politics.

Last edited:
I know I am not among the popular oppion here. But I do not remember Gary player doing that. It appeared to be a solo act of his kid. He never pointed to it, nodded to the sleeve of balls or hand a "wonder what ball I am playing remark" so in that light I would not even say that he reached the I knock out in the third sign level.

Again I feel this is all about optics. Look how this thread has turned into a mess very quickly about underlying race tones and South Africa and respect to people and inferring that race could have been a motive. That is what ANCG is trying to get in front of. Is the optics of politics.
I don't understand what I got quoted for?

However I will say, the amount of people in this thread turning it into a race thing is VERY small. It's not a discussion that is welcomed on THP.

I don't understand what I got quoted for?

However I will say, the amount of people in this thread turning it into a race thing is VERY small. It's not a discussion that is welcomed on THP.
Because I find answering on my phone hard and put my reply to your question inside the quote line. I will see if I can edit it to make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back