Gary Woodland.....

titleist981

Reaction score
Should Touring Pros be allowed to fix their equipment like GW did on the tee box? He tightened up a screw on his driver head...

Yes, why not, that's covered by the RoG.

I'm aware of the fact that it's covered in the rules but for the purpose of discussion is it a rule that gives the player an advantage over the field...maybe it should be readjusted after the drive.

(2) Use or Repair of Club Damaged During Round. If a conforming club is damaged during a round or while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a, the player normally must not replace it with another club. (For a limited exception when the player did not cause the damage, see Rule 4.1b(3)).
But no matter what the nature or cause of the damage, the damaged club is treated as conforming for the rest of the round (but not during a play-off in stroke play, which is a new round).

For the rest of the round, the player may:

• Continue to make strokes with the damaged club, or
  • Have the club repaired by restoring it as nearly as possible to its condition before the damage happened during the round or while play was stopped, while still using the original grip, shaft and clubhead. But in doing so:
    • The player must not unreasonably delay play (see Rule 5.6a), and
    • Any damage that existed before the round must not be repaired.
“Damaged during a round ” means when the club’s performance characteristics are changed because of any act during the round (including while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a), whether:

• By the player (such as making a stroke or practice swing with the club, putting it in or taking it out of a golf bag, dropping or leaning on it, or throwing or abusing it), or
  • By any other person, outside influence or natural forces.
But a club is not “damaged during a round ” if its performance characteristics are deliberately changed by the player during the round, as covered by Rule 4.1a(3).

I am ok with this one. I do not see any harm. If a club is broken, you can replace it with something else. I do not see this as being too different.

I'm aware of the fact that it's covered in the rules but for the purpose of discussion is it a rule that gives the player an advantage over the field...maybe it should be readjusted after the drive.
That would be before his next drive so I guess I dont get the point in that?

No problem since it is Woodland. If it was Sergio, I would say they should throw him off the tour. I am hypocritical like that ;)

I see no issue with tightening a screw on the driver. Probably should tell an official that you are not adjusting it, but repairing. I think tightening a screw is akin to cleaning the grooves.

So, you propose to make the player wait one more shot after they discover a club is damaged? I don't see the point.

The drivers with the adjustable weights can be set for a draw or fade.....not saying that Gary would cheat but I guess it is a possibly. Movable weights is another modern day tool to hit it 300 yards....IMO

No problem since it is Woodland. If it was Sergio, I would say they should throw him off the tour. I am hypocritical like that ;)

I see no issue with tightening a screw on the driver. Probably should tell an official that you are not adjusting it, but repairing. I think tightening a screw is akin to cleaning the grooves.
Now you have hit a sore spot....Segio Garcia should be banned from all professional events, period!

Pretty much exactly what is happening with Reed right now. That same thing happens to TW and the world would be saying the rule book is wrong and should be changed. ?

Pretty much exactly what is happening with Reed right now. That same thing happens to TW and the world would be saying the rule book is wrong and should be changed. ?
I have mixed feelings on that because Woods had a lot of rulings go his way....but also a lot went against him...

Remember this loose impediment that the gallery moved for Woods? I doubt Sergio or Reed gets help like Woods or Koepka.

1BDB727E-9E4D-4E15-A6CD-1D3F4D734BAA.png

Let's be clear....a lot of touring pros lay the grass down behind the ball on theirs shots. The all time great at doing that was Gary Player....LOL!

Examples?

I’d still love examples of the lots of rulings that went against him. I mean fans were allowed to move a boulder, I can’t think of too many against.

I’d still love examples of the lots of rulings that went against him. I mean fans were allowed to move a boulder, I can’t think of too many against.
Then there's your answer.. Woods receive more favorable rulings A. because he knows the rules better than anyone or B. He's fricken Tiger Woods....

Woodland driver tightening. Meh. Any bad ruling for Tiger. Forbidden by an act of the golf gods. :cool:

Reed improving his lie to day? Bad boy. If I'm playing Reed in President's cup, I am staying on him: "did you just improve your lie, again?" :sneaky:

Last edited:
Then there's your answer.. Woods receive more favorable rulings A. because he knows the rules better than anyone or B. He's fricken Tiger Woods....

At the 2013 Player's Championship , en route to "winning" the tournament, Woods blatantly cheated with the drop he took following his 14th tee box shot at TPC course.

At the 2013 Player's Championship , en route to "winning" the tournament, Woods blatantly cheated with the drop he took following his 14th tee box shot at TPC course.

How do you determine a drop point if you don't know where or crossed the margin of the hazard?

How do you determine a drop point if you don't know where or crossed the margin of the hazard?

You use your eyes to (honestly) determine the point where the ball last crossed the line of the hazard.
In 2013 on hole 14 tee box TPC Tiger did not do that, In 2000 , for his second shot on the 11th hole at Augusta, en route to "winning" his Masters, Vijay Singh did not do that.
Sadly, these guys are aware that hazard point of entry is at the discretion of the player, so they chose to cheat and "earn" themselves a hollow victory.

Back