Gas vs Electric Carts

I can see it now at one of my local courses.

--Put's in dip, turns country music up loudly on speaker, puts three Top Flights in the front pocket of Wrangler jeans.--

"Y'all got anything in a diesel?"

My home course has gas carts but I really like the quietness of electric carts and they also seem a lot smoother starting and stopping to me.

I would prefer electric, for no other reason than the respect of other golfers. I don't know the full environmental impact but I would also assume electric is more green friendly.

Doesn't matter to me, just one that isn't crazy slow on hills.

Definitely prefer electric.

I belong to a club with gas carts. Not that loud and run well. Ive played courses with electric and they are very nice as well. At the end of the day I think it would come down to a cost benefit analysis. What is the difference in cost to operate and maintain a fleet of electric carts versus a fleet of gas carts. If the same I wouldn't mind electric but if a significant difference gas carts are fine.

I belong to a club with gas carts. Not that loud and run well. Ive played courses with electric and they are very nice as well. At the end of the day I think it would come down to a cost benefit analysis. What is the difference in cost to operate and maintain a fleet of electric carts versus a fleet of gas carts. If the same I wouldn't mind electric but if a significant difference gas carts are fine.

We actually discuss this a bit on the Off Course episode that comes out on Friday.
It depends on if its leased vs owned. Leased, electric will probably be a bit cheaper. Owned and keeping for longer than a few years, gas will benefit.

I prefer electric. They seem to perform better and as others have noted they are much quieter. I have no idea of the cost difference though. If I owned my own at home I would definitely have electric. I just don't want to fool with a gas can in my garage anymore.

We actually discuss this a bit on the Off Course episode that comes out on Friday.
It depends on if its leased vs owned. Leased, electric will probably be a bit cheaper. Owned and keeping for longer than a few years, gas will benefit.
I will definitely listen to that thanks. And the lease on our ez go golf carts comes up at our club at the end of this season. I am friends with and actually represent the new ownership group at our club so I will let them know they should listen to this. Good ownership group and a couple are already talking about going to the PGA show this year, I might have to go with them to review any potential lease agreements for anything they are interested in lol.

I've had both and I prefer the electric by far.
Why ?
Quieter
No gas worries
Less maintenance
1 course in my area mandates electric carts instead of gas due to noise. (go figure)

Battery replacement is a bit expensive, but good maintenance on them and I have got 6 years out of them.

Would anyone for any good reason still pick gas?

Electric are SO much better from my perspective.

Gas carts still have more range, which can be important in a golf cart accessible community like The Villages.

Gas carts still have more range, which can be important in a golf cart accessible community like The Villages.
that is a great selling feature, for sure - definitely not in my realm of perspective here in Ohio not in a golf community haha

I get the benefits of gas, but for me personally on the golf course or tooling around the neighborhood electric all the way. Quiet and plenty fast. If I need something that has more capability I'm probably going to buy a different type of vehicle anyways.

I've owned 3 gas carts and 2 electric carts over the years. Of those, I like my current cart the best. It's a 48 volt E-Z-GO RXV. It's quite quiet, more so than gas carts and the charge lasts quite a long time. It's by far the fastest cart I've owned. The only detractor for me is that when something is wrong, I know nothing about electric carts. Right now, it won't move. I believe it's a combination of old batteries and possibly a solenoid. If it were a gas cart I'd have a better idea what's wrong and any mechanic can work on it but because it's electric, I'll need to take it to a dealer (an hour and 15 minutes away). That will have to wait until sometime next winter because I'm not able to play golf this year anyhow as I recently had shoulder surgery to repair a torn rotator, and torn bicep tendon and ligament.

We won’t even consider gas. They are too loud and we want something quiet to cruise around.

We won’t even consider gas. They are too loud and we want something quiet to cruise around.

FWIW, modern gas, specifically by Yamaha with their Quiet Tech is not very loud. From 10 feet away, it is nearly silent.

All aboard the electric train! Feel like a smoother, faster (that's purely speculative on my part based on the slow ass gas carts we have at our two in town courses) more enjoyable ride whenever I do end up riding

Beautiful day here. Golfed got home sat on the front porch with a cup of coffee and listened to Off Course . I Enjoyed this weeks edition and as i said previously i was particularly interested in the conversation regarding gas versus electric carts. Our Clubs lease expires this season and as i represent the new ownership group and will be involved in the new lease review i want to learn as much as i can on gas versus electric . As @JB has pointed out with the improvement in gas carts as far as noise i can say that the determining factor will be a cost analysis and which option is more economical. Certainly ownership will want nice carts but at the end of the day rhe type of cart be it gas or elecfric will not be a factor in keeping or attracting new members it will come down to overall cost which in turn has a direct impact on dues as well as the clubs profitability. This will be interesting and i look forward to learning more about Golf Carts prior to the expiration of the current lease.

Have a preference? Sound off here.
Electric all day. Gas carts are loud, they stink, then can be finicky until they warm up and they just scream, "low class". If I go to a golf course for the 1st time and they have gas carts, it automatically makes me question just how good the course can really be if they cant even afford proper carts.

Beautiful day here. Golfed got home sat on the front porch with a cup of coffee and listened to Off Course . I Enjoyed this weeks edition and as i said previously i was particularly interested in the conversation regarding gas versus electric carts. Our Clubs lease expires this season and as i represent the new ownership group and will be involved in the new lease review i want to learn as much as i can on gas versus electric . As @JB has pointed out with the improvement in gas carts as far as noise i can say that the determining factor will be a cost analysis and which option is more economical. Certainly ownership will want nice carts but at the end of the day rhe type of cart be it gas or elecfric will not be a factor in keeping or attracting new members it will come down to overall cost which in turn has a direct impact on dues as well as the clubs profitability. This will be interesting and i look forward to learning more about Golf Carts prior to the expiration of the current lease.

Thanks Elmave. The modern gas is very different from years ago where they were loud. The Yamaha Quiet Tech 2 is really strong and some larger golf communities are filled with them. Heck in the Villages alone, the largest in the US it is about 80% gas, which makes sense due to the sheer size and use for transportation.

They are also more cost effective in long term ownership, due to battery replacement and repair along with range.

With that being said, we own electric, because frankly it's easier than keeping gas in our garage and such. Our course is electric, as all Club Corp courses are I believe. It's a pretty interesting discussion however, because so many are used to the very large, rough and slowness of the old gas carts, that are not really what is out there currently.

FWIW, modern gas, specifically by Yamaha with their Quiet Tech is not very loud. From 10 feet away, it is nearly silent.
This is what one of my courses moved to, and honestly, theyre AMAZING.

This is what one of my courses moved to, and honestly, theyre AMAZING.
They really are good. Still not as quiet as electric of course, but from 10 ft away you barely hear them. Then consider 250 mile range on a tank vs 25-40 on a charge and it makes sense. Then double down on it with the lack of battery replacement every 4 years or so at a grand a clip.

Back