Gas vs Electric Carts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a preference? Sound off here.

Electric, although there’s no replacement to the startup of a gas engine in the takeaway of a putt.

As someone who always walks, I strongly prefer the silent electric carts to the noisy gas ones. :sneaky:

I work in the Electric Utility industry, so I may be a bit biased as to what everyone should use :p

Either is fine..until you get the cart they forgot to gas up like I did Monday on the #6 fairway.🙄

Electric hands down. Quieter, gets up to speed faster, and no exhaust smell.

With an electric, you can feather the pedal and roll along side of a walker to talk. Not so much with gas.

My non-owner preference is certainly electric. Makes a much nicer user experience riding around the course except on those rare occasions where the gas carts are tuned up and feel more like go-karts 😆

If I was to build a cart for a beach community it would definitely be gas. For a golf course I have to go with electric, lithium batteries of course.

I like the old 2-stroke carts during mosquito season. 😎

Electric all the way. I hate gas carts, but I understand they're cheaper and the terrain of some courses makes electric carts more difficult.

Home course uses gas, not a fan. Pro electric all day.

No real preference for me. My course switched to gas a couple years ago. They have saved a ton of $$'s in electricity for 32 carts. They can run most of them on 1-2 tanks of gas a year.

Electric. They’re quiet. I’ve heard they might be more maintenance but it doesn’t matter. They’re quiet lol

I prefer electric if the course owns and maintains them, they're quieter and smoother. My home course has electric and a couple of the courses we occasionally play have gas carts. One of them uses newer Yamahas and they're not bad, but still not as smooth as the electric.

If I was going to own my own cart, and especially if I lived any distance from the course, it would be gas. Better range, and replacing those lithium batteries is $$$$$.

Would anyone for any good reason still pick gas?

Electric are SO much better from my perspective.

Listen to Off Course this week and I will explain the pros and cons.

Electric all day long. For me it's just the all around better power platform for carts.

I align with the home owners that line golf courses - At 6am, electric is the best.

Have a preference? Sound off here.
I vote electric. Gas carts make so much F@cking noise at each start, and I’m deaf!

Golfboard

Would anyone for any good reason still pick gas?

Electric are SO much better from my perspective.

The Yamaha EFI gas golf carts are becoming very popular in my neck of the woods. Of the new cart purchases I have seen at my course and back home, it is about 80-90%. I would still choose an electric cart though. It is nice being able to cruise around while others are hitting if necessary.

Gas for me, I live in The Adirondack Park where the hills are steep and need the power of a gas engine. The convenience of just filling up the gas tank two times a season and not being tied down to making sure that the cart is plugged in is helpful too. Also, most of the Courses / Clubs here use gas. I just recently bought a Yamaha Drive and it is almost as quiet as an electric, almost, besides I like the sound of gas engines. I have also owned an electric cart, sorry guys but batteries ,even on an older cart are way to expensive. It's like replacing a gas engine every 4-5 years. My last Club Car DS gas was 28 years old when I replaced it this year and it still runs.

Last edited:
I prefer electric for their instant on acceleration and quiet operation,but there are some courses in our area that are hilly and need gas carts.There is nothing like an electric cart running out of battery on the 16th or 17th hole, and having to wait for a replacement to be brought to you from the clubhouse.

Back