Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
Gatorade drops Tiger Woods - BusinessWeek

Gatorade drops Tiger Woods

NEW YORK

Add Gatorade to the list of endorsement deals that Tiger Woods has lost.

A representative for the drink, sold by PepsiCo Inc., confirmed late Friday that it had ended its relationship with the golfer, who made a lengthy public apology last week for his infidelities.

"We no longer see a role for Tiger in our marketing efforts and have ended our relationship," a Gatorade spokeswoman said. "We wish him all the best."

The spokewoman said Gatorade would continue its relationship with the Tiger Woods Foundation.

She declined to say whether his contract was terminated early because of trouble with his public image.

Gatorade discontinued its Tiger Woods-brand drinks in November, a decision made before Woods' marital problems became known.

At the time, Gatorade stuck by him as a sponsor, but it too relented on Friday, becoming the third major endorsement deal the golfer has lost. AT&T Inc. and Accenture, dropped Woods in the weeks following the tabloid frenzy of cheating allegations.

The companies that have stuck most closely by Woods, Nike Inc. and Electronic Arts Inc. -- which have invested specifically in his athleticism -- reiterated their support last week when the golfer made his public apology.

Others, such as Procter & Gamble Co.'s Gillette and Swiss watch maker Tag Heuer, de-emphasized him in their marketing.

The CEO of Procter & Gamble said earlier this week that he doesn't know whether Woods will ever appear in another Gillette commercial, saying the company did not need the "distraction" of using him in its advertising.

Gatorade owner PepsiCo, the world's second-biggest soda maker, also owns the Tropicana, Quaker and Frito-Lay brands.

Gatorade dumps Tiger

Gatorade dumps Tiger

On Friday, Gatorade said it was ending its sponsorship relationship with Woods. The announcement comes a week after the world's top ranked golfer surfaced briefly to give a televised apology.

In a statement issued by Gatorade spokeswoman Jennifer Schmit, the company announced, "We no longer see a role for Tiger in our marketing efforts and have ended our relationship. However, our partnership with the Tiger Woods Foundation will continue. We wish him all the best."

This is the third sponsor to sever ties with Woods; Accenture and AT&T did so last year. Woods still has endorsement contracts with Nike, EA Sports, NetJets, Upper Deck and TLC Vision. The Tag Heuer watch company and Procter & Gamble's Gillette razor products have stopped running ad campaigns featuring Woods but have not announced any contract terminations.

And in 3 yrs? He will be forgiven, hell Vick was.

By sponsors? I don't think any sponsors will touch Vick. Did someone pick him up?

Not yet. If Vick preforms? Yeah. If Vick takes a team to the SB next year sponsors will line up. We know Tiger will preform..... when he wants to.

I wonder what prompted them to drop Tiger after his speech as opposed to before. This leads me to think that Tiger's speech did not do as intended.

By sponsors? I don't think any sponsors will touch Vick. Did someone pick him up?

Not yet. If Vick preforms? Yeah. If Vick takes a team to the SB next year sponsors will line up. We know Tiger will preform..... when he wants to.

Um, actually, he has...

Nike signed with him back in October.

Um, actually, he has...

Nike signed with him back in October.

They didn't. That was a B.S. statement by Vick's agent. Nike just gave him some free product.

They didn't. That was a B.S. statement by Vick's agent. Nike just gave him some free product.

After further research... You are correct! sorry :sad:

Back to Tiger!

After further research... You are correct! sorry :sad:

Back to Tiger!

No worries!

When I read the statement initially, I was pissed enough to write Nike. They wrote me back pretty quickly to clarify.

I wonder what prompted them to drop Tiger after his speech as opposed to before. This leads me to think that Tiger's speech did not do as intended.

I have no clue if it was related to last week's statement, but it seems pretty wishy-wshy on Gatorade's part. It comes across as if they waited for public reaction and opinion polls before acting, instead of making a principled (perhaps) decision early on.

I know this news is golf related (in a roundabout way) but why can I not help but think some of us here wish the worse for Tiger?

Does this mean my unopened bottle of Focus Red is a collector's item now?

I know this news is golf related (in a roundabout way) but why can I not help but think some of us here wish the worse for Tiger?

tigers a trainwreck ... and almost everyone stops to gawk at spectacles ... and this country in general is quick to judge ... probably even as you say wish the worse for him ... for me tiger is just entertainment ... if he overcomes or succumbs ... whichever is more compelling/riveting determines the degree of interest

Good news?

"Nike will still pay millions of dollars to Tiger, despite his actions as of late."

This comes next:

"Also to help Tiger focus on and off the course, nike will be endorsing all other women that tiger has had transgessions with"

IMO in no way possible will he ever get what he deserves for doing that to his wife and kids. 20 women is alot of women for a wife to look through. some people just seem to say "hes gone through enough already" when really he hasnt. We think he has gone through enough because we have heard enough. But he can never get what he deserves for his actions. People need to understand that

IMO in no way possible will he ever get what he deserves for doing that to his wife and kids. 20 women is alot of women for a wife to look through. some people just seem to say "hes gone through enough already" when really he hasnt. We think he has gone through enough because we have heard enough. But he can never get what he deserves for his actions. People need to understand that

What does he deserve? We can debate that all day long.

Would he get what he deserves if he loses a lot of money? Which he already has, and will lose a lot more if Elin leaves him. For all the humiliation, and the tough situation that Elin is in because of her husband right now, trust me, she's easily set for life, as are her children. So, let's not think that Elin is sulking at home all day long since this all came out.

Keep in mind, this has nothing to do w/ his golf ability. Tiger and his family can work that stuff out in a private matter, however they choose to do it.

I'm pretty confident Nike isn't doing it out of the goodness of their heart. Like all businesses, they made a business decision they felt was in their best interest.

So in that vein, who is this good news for?

I'm pretty confident Nike isn't doing it out of the goodness of their heart. Like all businesses, they made a business decision they felt was in their best interest.

So in that vein, who is this good news for?

Everyone involved. :D

Tiger can never get what he deserves simply because no one will ever get the chance to do what he did. Tiger is too powerful. I mean, sure Elin could go and cheat on him with 60 guys, but then she wrecks her 500 million dollar entitlement. So really, because hes so powerfuly, nothing can be done, so it just needs to be accepted? and tiger can go back to being the wonderboy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back