Generate more spin

sacul1573

What's a GIR?
Reaction score
Handicap
Amollerud,

First off, thanks for all your tips and advice through these threads. Reading these give me so much insight to playing the game and things to work on at the range.

The course I played this weekend had alot of frontside pin locations, which brought (yet another) flaw of my game to my attention. On close approach shots using wedges, I could not seem to get sufficient spin on the ball to stop it on the green, and was constantly putting from the middle/back of the green. I hear experienced people (like Provisional) reference that they found the "proper technique" for generating more spin with wedges, but have no idea what it is. Could you walk me through a typical wedge shot that will generate enough spin to stick (or back up) the ball on a front pin location? Thanks!:clapp:

Amollerud,

First off, thanks for all your tips and advice through these threads. Reading these give me so much insight to playing the game and things to work on at the range.

The course I played this weekend had alot of frontside pin locations, which brought (yet another) flaw of my game to my attention. On close approach shots using wedges, I could not seem to get sufficient spin on the ball to stop it on the green, and was constantly putting from the middle/back of the green. I hear experienced people (like Provisional) reference that they found the "proper technique" for generating more spin with wedges, but have no idea what it is. Could you walk me through a typical wedge shot that will generate enough spin to stick (or back up) the ball on a front pin location? Thanks!:clapp:

Hmm I would like to know this as well......

There are a couple of things that you must do to generate spin around the greens. First you must play this shot from a fairly tight fairway lie. If the ball is sitting up or in the ruff you will need to use loft to get the shot to stop quicker.

Now that you know the lie that you need. First thing to generate spin is you must hit down on the ball! You cannot try to slide the leading edge under the ball...this will not add any spin. Trapping the ball and taking a fairly shallow divot will generate alot of spin. To do this your hand MUST be infront of the club head at impact!

The next thing you need to do is make sure to accelerate through the ball. To generate spin you need to be aggresive through the ball. If you slow down or get too cute with the shot the ball is going to release on you.

I hope this helps. The best way to work on this is to start with some short chips and pitches. Work hard on keeping the hands out front and hitting down on the ball. You should be able to see the ball trying to dig and check even on the short shots. As you get comfortable work your way out from the green.

Let ne know how it goes and if there is anything more that I can do to help.

I am not a professional, but I believe the type of ball that you use also makes a difference on the amount of spin/check imparted.

In general, the "distance" balls tend to spin less than their "premium" counterparts. The reviews here are current and helpful, but in the end you will have to find what works best for your game.

Lets keep this thread for our THP Pro Amollerud. Thanks guys.

Hitting down on the ball is probably where I'm falling short. I keep my hands infront of the club, but tend to "pick" the ball off the turf. I'll try this next time I'm at the chipping range, and see how it goes! Thanks!

Just wanted to follow up. I'm seeing much more consistent spin off my wedges (and short irons) now that I conciously hit down on the ball. I'm sure playing an e6 ball doesnt help with spin, but atleast it's a hop or two and short roll. Still working on your divot drills to get this down solid...

That is good to hear...and yes the type of ball does affect the spin. Keep working on hitting these shots with the downward blow and you will get this.

Back