Generating more swing speed

Chef23

2023 Srixon Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
One of my focuses over the winter has been to increase my swing speed. Four years ago I had a SS with the driver of 104-106. That fall I had a serious illness that included 6 months of bed rest and a full year of recovery during which I lost all my muscle tone (and about 80 pounds). I am fortunate to be fully healthy but my SS has not returned. Last year I was a 92-93 mph with the driver.

Over the winter I have been doing workouts in the gym leveraging fit for golf and the Superspeed program when I had time to get to the gym. I travel for work almost every week so it could be spotty. I did see increases with the SS swinging in the 105-110 with the standard club and as high as 115 with the light. It is tough to tell right now but I don't feel I have seen that translate to the golf course at this point.

I think part of my issue is that I have become passive with my golf swing. I hit balls yesterday and hit 20-30 balls with the driver thinking about swinging fast like I do with the SS. This led to better distance on the range and didn't seem to impact my accuracy greatly.

I need to see how this translates to the golf course. Generally I don't like to think about generating speed on the course I like to pick a target, get aligned and swing the club. I do think that leads to me being a little too passive at times (but accurate).

I am going to continue to try to generate more speed when on the range. My thought is to practice in sets of 4 balls. Hit three balls swinging fast then step away and go through my full routine with a fourth ball and just think about hitting to the target and see if that speed comes through in my regular swings.

I am interested to hear how others have had success increasing the speed of their swings.

Good timing and supple wrists are the keys to maximizing my swing speed.

I have a weird little mantra in my head while swinging: DUNH.. GA-DUNH (is my best attempt at spelling it). The first DUNH represents my backswing and is kind of slow, the 2 dots represent the pause up top and transition, and the GA-DUNH is a rapid 2-syllable finish that represents the downswing and through impact.

Sometimes my wrists are too firm and it messes up the whole sequence as I lose the pause up top and have an awkward transition. If I keep my wrists nice and loose, my timing is good and my swing has effortless power. These are my keys given my physical characteristics and limitations (bad back and poor flexibility) - I still swing a driver at 107-mph on average.

Now if I wanted to improve upon that, I would have to work on my core strength and flexibility. But that hurts... lol

For me it’s about maintaining speed after turning 55 last month. I’m in that 103 range down a few mph from my average speed over the last 25 years. I’m focusing on overall core strength and flexibility and also flexibility in my hip flexors. I’m also working on good sequencing making sure that my feet, legs, and hips fire first before the upper body. If I do that it helps me naturally maintain better width and a late, proper release with that effortless speed that doesn’t feel fast but is.

I never gave my SuperSpeed training a fair shot last year and I may do that as well.

I'm not really thinking as much about increasing the speed of my swing as I am maximizing, or timing the speed I have.

My visualization is swinging an axe at the ball. I want to have that snap at the very bottom in the same way one would if they were swinging an axe at the bottom of a tree. When I do this, my swing speed through the hitting area is as fast as its going to get

Back