I would love to take a lesson from Gankas.

I feel like I do a lot of good things in my golf swing, combined with a lot of "natural" movements that nobody would teach. I think hes one of the teachers that would really work with what I have and not get stuck on my odd backswing.

Thanks for the explanation. Probably better than putting the alignment sticks in the belt loops. :)

Haha for sure.

As for Gankas: Whether his style resonates with you or not is player dependent. GG knows his stuff inside and out and his pipeline of talent is miles long. Wolff is just the first of many young players from his stable. In the next 5-7 years his juniors will be all over the PGA tour and he will be one of the top instructors in the game like a Butch Harmon. Hence why Butch Harmon got a lesson from Gankas, it was the start of passing the torch.

Here is the Gankas/Como youtube - good stuff. Because I want that weight on the front foot. Less push, more rotation - more open at impact. Less lateral motion and more rotation. I am working on this plus shallowing club.

Good video, thanks for sharing.

In a lot of ways his teachings tend to replicate Sam Sneed's move. You can't argue with that.

I'm generally wary of teachers who approach golf with the mentality that there is one way to swing. I don't think his style of teaching would be for me.

Haha for sure.

As for Gankas: Whether his style resonates with you or not is player dependent. GG knows his stuff inside and out and his pipeline of talent is miles long. Wolff is just the first of many young players from his stable. In the next 5-7 years his juniors will be all over the PGA tour and he will be one of the top instructors in the game like a Butch Harmon. Hence why Butch Harmon got a lesson from Gankas, it was the start of passing the torch.
There was an article about that and it was a great read. For those who haven't seen it, the essence was that different people hear messages in different ways. Harmon always struggled with clearing his left hip. Gankas stood behind him and pulled his left shoulder back. For Harmon, the "left should back" message got him making the hip move properly.

Good video, thanks for sharing.

In a lot of ways his teachings tend to replicate Sam Sneed's move. You can't argue with that.

I'm generally wary of teachers who approach golf with the mentality that there is one way to swing. I don't think his style of teaching would be for me.

I was interested in two aspects - getting off the back foot, which one can do with more extension and shallowing the club, closing the face

I like some of his backswing aspects, but I need to shallow and close the face in the long clubs btteerr. Luke Donald on twitter had a good way of shallowing, closing, and an advantage I found is gaining more speed.

There was an article about that and it was a great read. For those who haven't seen it, the essence was that different people hear messages in different ways. Harmon always struggled with clearing his left hip. Gankas stood behind him and pulled his left shoulder back. For Harmon, the "left should back" message got him making the hip move properly.

Yeah i saw that and the video it was cool to see. I've never seen Butch take a lesson before lol so that has to say something about Gankas. But like any coach, their style and communication has to land with the player or it's not a good fit. There's no one size fits all in golf instructors. His online video's can be hard to follow as he runs through info at warp speed but you can see in person he teaches "feels" so the player gets it.

What’s cool about George is when you sit and talk to him, he’s totally a golf nerd. He absolutely eats and breathes the stuff. Yeah, he’s high energy as hell, and that’s why young players love being around him. That range is like a hang out of ball striking studs.

He diagnoses better than anybody I’ve ever seen, and then he puts you in crazy feels to get your brain to override your old tendencies.
He also takes time to follow up, which is CRAZY considering how busy he is.

The best part about his stuff is once you understand concepts, adding the pieces becomes easier. Add lateral bend going back. Extend a little more. It goes on and on.
The main takeaway with his stuff is depth in the backswing is very necessary, and the setup is a limiting factor towards most people getting a deep enough turn.

The other part is getting forward enough at the top of the backswing. Lots of early students stay too behind the ball, and they spin off their back foot in transition (that squat move). If you center the turn, it’s ball striking heaven.

I would love to take a lesson from Gankas.

I feel like I do a lot of good things in my golf swing, combined with a lot of "natural" movements that nobody would teach. I think hes one of the teachers that would really work with what I have and not get stuck on my odd backswing.
Well, that would depend on what that backswing does to you. If you have proper hand depth and turn, yeah, he leaves well enough alone.
If you have a narrow turn, you can’t track the ground with his pivot, because it would throw your hand path out too far, and it’s death.

What’s cool about George is when you sit and talk to him, he’s totally a golf nerd. He absolutely eats and breathes the stuff. Yeah, he’s high energy as hell, and that’s why young players love being around him. That range is like a hang out of ball striking studs.

He diagnoses better than anybody I’ve ever seen, and then he puts you in crazy feels to get your brain to override your old tendencies.
He also takes time to follow up, which is CRAZY considering how busy he is.

The best part about his stuff is once you understand concepts, adding the pieces becomes easier. Add lateral bend going back. Extend a little more. It goes on and on.
The main takeaway with his stuff is depth in the backswing is very necessary, and the setup is a limiting factor towards most people getting a deep enough turn.

The other part is getting forward enough at the top of the backswing. Lots of early students stay too behind the ball, and they spin off their back foot in transition (that squat move). If you center the turn, it’s ball striking heaven.

I've seen so many get the squat move wrong because they cherry-picked from random videos. Depth in the BS and the rotation is key with him

Yeah, that squat move is a death sentence if you don’t have spine extension at the top. I was a “load the back foot 70/30 and slide” guy. Always pulled the handle down.
That spine extension causes you to recenter. The feel is extremely 50/50 by the top of the backswing. That allows you to get the lead leg external (left pelvis low) without having your upper body over your trail leg. If the upper body is back in transition, you will dig trenches.

Yeah, that squat move is a death sentence if you don’t have spine extension at the top. I was a “load the back foot 70/30 and slide” guy. Always pulled the handle down.
That spine extension causes you to recenter. The feel is extremely 50/50 by the top of the backswing. That allows you to get the lead leg external (left pelvis low) without having your upper body over your trail leg. If the upper body is back in transition, you will dig trenches.

Agree with all of that. When i tried the move and added thoracic extension it made me cast the club like a hack. It was bizarre. Just goes to show there's not one way that works for everyone and he doesn't teach to a pattern.

Back