Georgia-Carolina THP Gathering 2022

What location does everyone prefer for the GA-Carolina THP gathering?

• Greenville, SC

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Columbia, SC

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Myrtle Beach, SC

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Hilton Head-Bluffton, SC

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

will

Morgan Cup 2023 - Team Hackers
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It looks like we have some legitimate interest in a THP gathering for the good folks of Georgia and North and South Carolina. I figured I would start a new thread to work out the details like date, time, location, golf course, golf format, etc. I'm tagging the people that expressed interest in my other thread and once we have the details worked out, we can change the list to confirmed participants. I know work and family obligations can make scheduling difficult, so I was aiming for something that would be driving distance for those that would just have one day. In any case, I'm going to list the details below and we can work on getting everything hammered out.

Date: Saturday, March 12th

Tee times beginning at 11:00am on 3/12/22. Looking Sunday tee times as well, for those that want to get in a second round before heading home.

Greenville, SC. This should provide a location for the largest possible group and plenty of lodging nearby. Let's do this!

Golf Course: Cherokee Valley Club

https://www.cherokeevalleyclub.com/

Accommodations:

https://www.cherokeevalleyclub.com/accomodations

Restaurant:

https://www.core-450.com/

Format:

I'm open to suggestions. Just a casual round of golf? Team golf, like scrambles, best ball? Match play?

Let's hear your thoughts and ideas and put together a fun THP gathering for this area!

Interested THPers:
@will (me) - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday)
@Davidhibler -CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday)
@Steve2100 - Tentative
@Lousy golfer
Mrs. Lousy golfer
@Just_Hacking - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday and Sunday - Cottage Friday and Saturday night)
Just_Hacking Guest - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday and Sunday - Cottage Friday and Saturday night)
@T0AD - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday and Sunday)
@cpljohnst - Tentative
@MGoBlue - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday and Sunday)
@Scorpion12 - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday and Sunday - Cottage Friday and Saturday night)
Scorpion Jr. - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday and Sunday - Cottage Friday and Saturday night)
@PackersGirl - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday)
@PapaJohick
@Carolina Dundee - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday and Sunday - Cottage Friday and Saturday night) **Finn Cycle**
@e1iterate - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday)
@BigDill - Tentative
@pumbaa - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday)
@billyh - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday)
@adwillingham
@Greg Kulbick
@scgolfer
@Jeff Spicoli
@J.B. Cobb III
@ir13 - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday and Sunday)
@RealPretendPsychic - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday and Sunday - Cottage Friday and Saturday night) **Finn Cycle**
@zoveracker - CONFIRMED
@troyefl - Tentative
@Paladin
@blazinden - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday, Sunday if early tee time - Cottage Friday and Saturday night)
@Sarzar - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday, Sunday if early tee time - Cottage Friday and Saturday night)
@Canadan
@Sox_Fan - Tentative
@SC4life - CONFIRMED (Golf Saturday and Sunday)

Feel free to tag anyone that might be interested. If they reply on here that they are interested I'll add them to the list. Likewise, if you are tagged and not interested, just let me know and I can remove you from the list.

Last edited:
Totally down. I work weekends, so it may not be ideal for me. I may be able to grab a weekend day off given enough notice.

My days off are Monday, Thursday and Friday.

Totally down. I work weekends, so it may not be ideal for me. I may be able to grab a weekend day off given enough notice.

My days off are Monday, Thursday and Friday.

This is a good point. If a weekday works better for everyone, that's perfectly fine with me. I can take a day off during the week with some notice.

I guess Augusta area is good but depending on how many from NC we get, the Greenville SC area may be better TBH. 1.5 hours from Charlotte. 2.5 from ATL and Charleston. 2 from Augusta.

I’ll monitor this thread to see what works out. Although I am not from Georgia or the Carolinas, I would love to participate and I am sure some of the guys on either team would suffer me on their team.

It looks like we have some legitimate interest in a THP gathering for the good folks of Georgia and North and South Carolina. I figured I would start a new thread to work out the details like date, time, location, golf course, golf format, etc. I'm tagging the people that expressed interest in my other thread and once we have the details worked out, we can change the list to confirmed participants. I know work and family obligations can make scheduling difficult, so I was aiming for something that would be driving distance for those that would just have one day. In any case, I'm going to list the details below and we can work on getting everything hammered out.

Date:

For me, I can probably make most Saturdays work. The only weekend that's really a no-go for me is the weekend of February 5-6. That's the weekend of my wife's birthday, so I probably shouldn't play golf that weekend. We can schedule a date in February or March or even January if everyone is eager to get out for some golf. Let me know what works for you and we can start to narrow it down. I'll update this post as we nail stuff down.

My initial thought was Augusta, being right on the border of GA and SC. I figured that was an easy day trip for most people in either state, but I'm open to other suggestions. We just want to find something that works everyone or most everyone. Hilton Head would also be an option, but may be a longer drive for some.

Golf Course:

This will depend on the location. There are a decent number of courses in the Augusta area. The River Club was a fun course the last time I played (though that was awhile ago) and Mount Vintage Plantation is supposed to be nice. Hilton Head has a ton of courses.

Format:

I'm open to suggestions. Just a casual round of golf? Team golf, like scrambles, best ball? Match play?

Let's hear your thoughts and ideas and put together a fun THP gathering for this area!

Interested THPers:
@will (me)
@Davidhibler
@Steve2100
@Lousy golfer
@Just_Hacking
@T0AD
@cpljohnst
@gbtrsc
@Scorpion12
@PackersGirl
@PapaJohick
@Carolina Dundee

Feel free to tag anyone that might be interested. If they reply on here that they are interested I'll add them to the list. Likewise, if you are tagged and not interested, just let me know and I can remove you from the list.

We should probably look at the hotel options or what stay and play we an get.

don’t tell my boss but I’d love a Thursday and Friday outing

Maybe for me

Whoa, I'm not used to seeing my name as part of something like this.:D
I'm in the Columbia SC area... kind of central to everywhere... sort of.

I agree, if the majority of participants are from NC then it would probably make sense to have it closer to them to be fair.:confused2:

I'm off Fridays but weekends work well. January 21 is my son's birthday and he wants to go for wings, beer, and pool with me so that day's out although I think he might be amenable to changing it to a golf outing.:)

First week or two in January is up in the air for me as my wife will be recovering from surgery. And I have no idea what's going to be involved in her aftercare. I think it'd be a bad idea to run off for golf then.:D

@BigDill it's great you're interested. Would you be ok with playing in the Greenville area? Or is that too far north?

I'm down with casual golf but that's only because I haven't played in a group or anything. I have no problem with teams or anything like that. It sounds like it's a good time!

I don't gamble because I'm afraid of losing money and I suck at golf.

If this works then maybe it can be something like a quarterly thing? And maybe travel? Like Greenville area one time, Augusta area the next, Hilton Head area another:confused2:?

Or SC one quarter, NC another quarter, GA another quarter, and FL a quarter. I don't know. That might be premature in planning.:ROFLMAO:

I agree, if the majority of participants are from NC then it would probably make sense to have it closer to them to be fair.:confused2:

I'm off Fridays but weekends work well. January 21 is my son's birthday and he wants to go for wings, beer, and pool with me so that day's out although I think he might be amenable to changing it to a golf outing.:)

First week or two in January is up in the air for me as my wife will be recovering from surgery. And I have no idea what's going to be involved in her aftercare. I think it'd be a bad idea to run off for golf then.:D

@BigDill it's great you're interested. Would you be ok with playing in the Greenville area? Or is that too far north?

I'm down with casual golf but that's only because I haven't played in a group or anything. I have no problem with teams or anything like that. It sounds like it's a good time!

If this works then maybe it can be something like a quarterly thing? And maybe travel? Like Greenville area one time, Augusta area the next, Hilton Head area another:confused2:?

Or SC one quarter, NC another quarter, GA another quarter, and FL a quarter. I don't know. That might be premature in planning.:ROFLMAO:
I just went to Austin on a whim, so I am sure I could make it somewhere in the Carolina’s. If my memory is correct @e1iterate isnt too far from Charolette so I would just fly into there and hitch a ride, or fly in to Charleston and hitch a ride with @PapaJohick. Either way, I would be (a) flying and (b) making it happen, so long as the dates work for me work-wise.

I guess Augusta area is good but depending on how many from NC we get, the Greenville SC area may be better TBH. 1.5 hours from Charlotte. 2.5 from ATL and Charleston. 2 from Augusta.

Yeah, when I was initially thinking of something like this, I didn't think about interest from NC. Greenville would be about 4 hours away for me, so I may have to plan an overnight stay. Not sure how that would impact any of the other folks from GA.

I’ll monitor this thread to see what works out. Although I am not from Georgia or the Carolinas, I would love to participate and I am sure some of the guys on either team would suffer me on their team.

We have no residency requirements here. ;)

We should probably look at the hotel options or what stay and play we an get.

don’t tell my boss but I’d love a Thursday and Friday outing

Yeah, depending on the location, we may have quite a few staying overnight. If I have a stay overnight, a Friday or Saturday would probably be best for me.

Hey, I like the way you think! No reason we can't put together some awesome THP outings for this part of the country!

Columbia would be another option that would be central for GA, SC, and NC. I don't know really know anything about the courses in Greenville or Columbia, so I would need some guidance there.

I'm also down with casual golf or team golf. It should all be fun!

I just went to Austin on a whim, so I am sure I could make it somewhere in the Carolina’s. If my memory is correct @e1iterate isnt too far from Charolette so I would just fly into there and hitch a ride, or fly in to Charleston and hitch a ride with @PapaJohick. Either way, I would be (a) flying and (b) making it happen, so long as the dates work for me work-wise.

Adding you to the list! (y)

I noticed a thread on golf fitness. I threw a link to this thread in there and tagged @Carolina Golfer and @Maric since they're in SC as well.

I think that I am free most weekends so depending (and approveal from the boss) on weather I am in!!

I wont be able to play until around March most likely. I would be down, and I am from the Charlotte area also. I am not good so if its competitive RIP to whoever I am with

@J.B. Cobb III is in NC also.

Okay, I figured it was tough for folks to determine when/if they could participate without knowing where they are going. I added a poll to give some options. Since it looks like we will have a decent number from NC, I chose 4 locations in SC that will hopefully work for anyone interested. I know some of these make for a long drive, but it also sounds like most are up for an overnight stay. Greenville and Columbia are pretty centrally located between everyone. I also listed Hilton Head-Bluffton, because there are a ton of courses and plenty of accommodations. Same for Myrtle Beach. It would be a long drive for me, but there are lots of options for courses and accommodations. Just thought I would throw out all options and see what everyone thinks.

In regards to date, another thread got me thinking. So close to the holidays, we may see a spike over the next couple of weeks in COVID cases. We could plan a little further out and aim for somewhere between mid-February and mid-March. That gives us plenty of time to get this thing organized and gives everyone time to plan. Should still be in the off season for lodging, so rates shouldn't be too bad. Let me know what you all think!

I am good with any of the listed Greenville/Columbia are closer but I have made the trip to Myrtle plenty of times easily. I wont be able to play until Mid-March most likely due to surgery recovery.

This is starting to sound fun.

I voted Myrtle Beach. I've been there a few times but never played golf.:confused2: I didn't want to be the only vote for Columbia:D They're all good options though.

If it's Columbia, I'd suggest Santee. My coworker plays there a lot and says it's pretty good.

Put me on the list at least until plans firm up on when and where

I havent seem many posts from a bunch of guys I played with before from THP. Had a big Tot Hill Farm gathering that was sick.

@ir13 is in columbia
@Trout Bum longest drive I have ever seen
@JohnBoyNC amazing golfer played with him and ir13 multiple times
@lightningbolt44 was awesome in our 4some at tot hill
@deuce bought my clubs from him and lives in SC

I havent seem many posts from a bunch of guys I played with before from THP. Had a big Tot Hill Farm gathering that was sick.

@ir13 is in columbia
@Trout Bum longest drive I have ever seen
@JohnBoyNC amazing golfer played with him and ir13 multiple times
@lightningbolt44 was awesome in our 4some at tot hill
@deuce bought my clubs from him and lives in SC
Oh! Tot Hill farm...We are wanting to play all of the Strantz courses and this is one we haven't made it to yet.

Back