Get your kids into golf.

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
If they take it seriously you might get to watch this type of thing. I know there's a junior golf golf sticky, but my daughter has earned her own thread over the last three days. I posted briefly yesterday in the Banter thread about her playing in a state match play event. Here are a couple of my The Facebook posts from the last two days. Gracie was seeded second after tying for medalist honors in the seeding round. The course was a 1927 built country club with lots of tight fairways and big trees, and fast crowned greens. It was tough for the girls.

Kevin

Tuesdays matches:

My baby won her morning match 4 & 3 after a blistering back nine.

Then the afternoon match. It was like the Thrilla in Manilla. Quite honestly one of the most exciting and nerve wracking matches I have ever seen. Gracie goes up 2 after 2. Her opponent battles back and birdies 8 to go 2 up. Gracie birdies 9, 10, and 11 to go 1 up. Her opponent then birdies 12 to make it 5 birdies in row forthese teen female warriors. All square. They halve the next, then another birdie by the opponent to go 1 up. An unreal stretch of 6 birdies out of 7 holes. Gracie won the 15th and 17th to go to the last 1up. She adrenalines one just over the green. Her opponent hits the green, leaving a slippery side hill 25 footer. She three putts and Gracie makes bogey for the 1 up win.

It was so exhilarating to watch. The Oh My Gosh in Oshkosh. Great playing. Congrats to Abbey C. Truly a great performance.

Tomorrow the final. Love you , Baby. You rock!

Wednesday: The Championship Match of the WI State Girls Junior Match Play.

If you've ever watched your child put their heart and soul, literally everything they have, into something they're doing, you know how Mary and I feel right now on our 20th wedding anniversary. What a gift our daughter is.

Today our Gracie teed it up in the match play final against one of the finest junior girl players in the State of Wisconsin. Today's match rivaled yesterday's match in drama, only on a more important stage. Our girl traded pars and birdies throughout the day with an exceptional player. One that is more experienced and coming off a 4th place finish in the State high school division 2 golf tournament. Against boys.

Gracie went up 1 on the first hole. The match was squared on the second hole and remained all square until the 8th when the opponent won a hole. Gracie won the 9th to make it a nine hole match. There were five birdies on the final nine, 2 for Gracie, 3 for the opponent. Gracie went 1 up on 13. Her opponent made a downhill 18 footer on the next hole for birdie that would have went at least 15 feet past the hole if it missed to square it back up. Grace lost the next with a bogey. She followed that by hitting her approach to one foot on the 16th to again square the match with birdie. Gracie hit one to 10 feet on 17, and her two putt was good enough to go into the last 1 up. Her opponent then hit one to three feet on the last, a par three, made the birdie, and the match went to 19. Both girls shot 36 on the back nine.

After three days and 73 holes, the match, and Gracie's extraordinary week, came to an end with an approach that went just over the left rear corner of the green to kick off a hill and into a pond. Her opponent then hit an approach to about 8 feet.

Though she's disappointed, her play over the last few weeks has been nothing less than astounding after playing the last two years with a balky wrist. Not only does she work hard, she's tough, talented, beautiful, and everything two parents could want in a daughter.

We love you so much, Gracie. Your day will come. And in the near future.

Esox I read this on FB. YOu must be bursting with cheese pride. Congrats to Gracie on an amazing accomplishment. I would be over the moon if any of my boys ever did anything like this!

Gracie seemingly has a steely resolve and a should get a lot of confidence from this run. Way to go, Gracie! She's got a bright future, that's for sure.

Awesome post Esox. It sounds like she's well on her way to a great high school career, and I wouldn't be surprised if a college coach wanted to give her a scholarship down the road. That would be a win-win, it would free up some more money for you to go to Packers' games. :wink:

Esox, that's quite a kid you've got there! Give a big congrats on that performance to Gracie.

Wow Kevin thats awesome! I have 3 daughters myself and can imagine how proud you 2 must be.

That's really cool! I wish her the best down the road.

To post what I was thinking when I saw the thread title:

6 years ago there was this 10 year old who thought golf was the stupidest most irrational waste of time on earth and wanted to kick his dad in the balls for making him go to a summer junior golf camp. That little kid turned into TheIcemann :)

That's great best of luck to her!

Esox, it definitely sounds like you're one proud Dad. And it sounds like Gracie deserves it.

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us.

So happy for you guys. She sure impressed me in Vegas. Look forward to hearing more about her/yalls journey to D1 golf!

I say it every time you post about her and will again. Being her age not too long ago and having the same passion for a different sport, I know the feeling. I know my father was proud of me, but unfortunately, I never got to hear him say it. I am forever in debt to my parents for sacrificing so much in life for my passions.

Hearing your excitement and satisfaction as a parent is truly amazing. The awesome part about this is in 10 years, she will see past the victory/defeat and remember the support her patents had for her at that time. Again, TRULY AMAZING!

I hope someday I get to experience the same thing as a father.

Thank you for sharing this, your pride and love for your daughter is really evident. What a special moment for all of your family!

Aw crud both eyes... :)

You must be proud and deservedly so. Hehehe, I would have gone nuts watching that!

Great post Kevin - gave me chills just reading it man. Congrats to Gracie for performing so well - absolutely stellar golf it sounds like she played!

Congrats to the Esox family, that is excellent!

I hope mine gets into golf dude. I can't imagine the feeling you guys felt. Sounds like the past two days have been absolute nail biters. Sounds like she deserves that 910 my friend :)

I say it every time you post about her and will again. Being her age not too long ago and having the same passion for a different sport, I know the feeling. I know my father was proud of me, but unfortunately, I never got to hear him say it. I am forever in debt to my parents for sacrificing so much in life for my passions.

Hearing your excitement and satisfaction as a parent is truly amazing. The awesome part about this is in 10 years, she will see past the victory/defeat and remember the support her patents had for her at that time. Again, TRULY AMAZING!

I hope someday I get to experience the same thing as a father.

Couldn't have said it any better dude

I hope mine gets into golf dude. I can't imagine the feeling you guys felt. Sounds like the past two days have been absolute nail biters. Sounds like she deserves that 910 my friend :)

You'll make it fun, dude. That will be all it will take.

She wants to do some more swing work before we switch drivers. She's been hitting hers very well, so she's content.

Thanks for all the nice comments everybody. It was a pretty emotional three days for me. She's made a huge move forward after being held back by injury. She's not afraid of hard work.

Kevin

And how are you holding up? That's a lot of walking for a husky lefty.

That's so awesome Kevin.
congratulations to your daughter, and her proud Dad!

And how are you holding up? That's a lot of walking for a husky lefty.

Dude, I'm a serious spectator. And give me the 1927 built country club every day. About 20-30 yard from green to the next tee, no serious elevation changes, and the holes just run side by side or circle each other.

Next week, walking the Irish Course at Whistling and having to stay on the cart paths and in the mounds will suck more life out of me than three rounds at Oshkosh Country Club.

Kevin

If they take it seriously you might get to watch this type of thing. I know there's a junior golf golf sticky, but my daughter has earned her own thread over the last three days. I posted briefly yesterday in the Banter thread about her playing in a state match play event. Here are a couple of my The Facebook posts from the last two days. Gracie was seeded second after tying for medalist honors in the seeding round. The course was a 1927 built country club with lots of tight fairways and big trees, and fast crowned greens. It was tough for the girls.

Kevin

Tuesdays matches:

My baby won her morning match 4 & 3 after a blistering back nine.

Then the afternoon match. It was like the Thrilla in Manilla. Quite honestly one of the most exciting and nerve wracking matches I have ever seen. Gracie goes up 2 after 2. Her opponent battles back and birdies 8 to go 2 up. Gracie birdies 9, 10, and 11 to go 1 up. Her opponent then birdies 12 to make it 5 birdies in row forthese teen female warriors. All square. They halve the next, then another birdie by the opponent to go 1 up. An unreal stretch of 6 birdies out of 7 holes. Gracie won the 15th and 17th to go to the last 1up. She adrenalines one just over the green. Her opponent hits the green, leaving a slippery side hill 25 footer. She three putts and Gracie makes bogey for the 1 up win.

It was so exhilarating to watch. The Oh My Gosh in Oshkosh. Great playing. Congrats to Abbey C. Truly a great performance.

Tomorrow the final. Love you , Baby. You rock!

Wednesday: The Championship Match of the WI State Girls Junior Match Play.

If you've ever watched your child put their heart and soul, literally everything they have, into something they're doing, you know how Mary and I feel right now on our 20th wedding anniversary. What a gift our daughter is.

Today our Gracie teed it up in the match play final against one of the finest junior girl players in the State of Wisconsin. Today's match rivaled yesterday's match in drama, only on a more important stage. Our girl traded pars and birdies throughout the day with an exceptional player. One that is more experienced and coming off a 4th place finish in the State high school division 2 golf tournament. Against boys.

Gracie went up 1 on the first hole. The match was squared on the second hole and remained all square until the 8th when the opponent won a hole. Gracie won the 9th to make it a nine hole match. There were five birdies on the final nine, 2 for Gracie, 3 for the opponent. Gracie went 1 up on 13. Her opponent made a downhill 18 footer on the next hole for birdie that would have went at least 15 feet past the hole if it missed to square it back up. Grace lost the next with a bogey. She followed that by hitting her approach to one foot on the 16th to again square the match with birdie. Gracie hit one to 10 feet on 17, and her two putt was good enough to go into the last 1 up. Her opponent then hit one to three feet on the last, a par three, made the birdie, and the match went to 19. Both girls shot 36 on the back nine.

After three days and 73 holes, the match, and Gracie's extraordinary week, came to an end with an approach that went just over the left rear corner of the green to kick off a hill and into a pond. Her opponent then hit an approach to about 8 feet.

Though she's disappointed, her play over the last few weeks has been nothing less than astounding after playing the last two years with a balky wrist. Not only does she work hard, she's tough, talented, beautiful, and everything two parents could want in a daughter.

We love you so much, Gracie. Your day will come. And in the near future.

Great post! I am about to become a dad and reading things like this get me extremely excited to have a child!

That's awesome Esox! Congrats to both of you!

Very nice Esox! Very cool. I'm just starting to get my kids into golf, both boys. One 6 and the oldsest is 9, both love it so far....hopefully they will continue to enjoy the game and progress as they get older.

Bought my 4 year old lil girl a AMF 5-8 yr old set today for her B-Day in August. Sense summer in North Dakota is short I figured that these could be an early gift. I take her every chance i get to. She is always asking if we can go hit a bucket of balls.

Back